Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Garage Door Opener?  (Read 1669 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
New Garage Door Opener?
« on: December 04, 2019, 02:54:06 PM »

Hi Gang!
I know it's been awhile, we've missed you all, we're doing fine, just haven't been on any of the M/C Forums for awhile ;D

My 20 year old LiftMaster GDO is about due for replacement, and I wanted to ask for recommendations for one of those new-fangled GDOs that will accommodate the Harley GDO Receiver that came with some of our CVOs, so that I can flash the high beam and operate the garage door?

Thanks,
Ed & Jaynae
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: New Garage Door Opener?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

I installed a GENIE a few years ago that is hard wired to the control button and direct wired the HD receiver to the circuit board on the motor than mounted the receiver at the highest point in the rafters of the garage.
I can open the door from about 100 feet away.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »

Hi Gang!
I know it's been awhile, we've missed you all, we're doing fine, just haven't been on any of the M/C Forums for awhile ;D

My 20 year old LiftMaster GDO is about due for replacement, and I wanted to ask for recommendations for one of those new-fangled GDOs that will accommodate the Harley GDO Receiver that came with some of our CVOs, so that I can flash the high beam and operate the garage door?

Thanks,
Ed & Jaynae

Unfortunately it seems it's the new fangled door openers that aren't compatible.  The old plain jane openers with a simple wall button to open and close are the ones the Harley system was designed to easily work with (just connect the two wires from the receiver to the two contacts on the opener for the wall button).  The new multi-function types with the "smart" wall control won't work with the old simple two wire connection to the opener, because those two wires from the wall control now carry different signals depending on what function you pressed on the control panel.  However, all is not lost as there are multiple ways to make the Harley system work with the newer openers.  One involves soldering the two wires from the receiver to the contacts for the open/close switch on the circuit board in that fancy wall control .  Another is to have your Harley receiver modified to wirelessly connect with the door opener, essentially making the Harley receiver act like one of the remotes from the door opener. 

The openers made by Chamberlain are the most common ones on the market, they are sold under the Chamberlain name, the LiftMaster name, the Craftsman name, etc.  The mods I mentioned above will work on those openers.  I think you can still get some of the simpler openers without all the new bells and whistles (separate light switch, time display, etc.) from the various old line brands as well, look for a simple wall button if you don't want any extra features. There are some new names in the market that I'm not familiar with, some that are totally wireless even for the wall control.  I'm not sure if there are any workarounds for those yet.

Creative Access Solutions is the company that offers modifications for the receivers, try this link to their ebay store:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/casolutions14/m.html?item=272530541050

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »

I installed a GENIE a few years ago that is hard wired to the control button and direct wired the HD receiver to the circuit board on the motor than mounted the receiver at the highest point in the rafters of the garage.
I can open the door from about 100 feet away.

Hi Joel,

The old LiftMaster GDO has outside screw terminals to connect the 2 wires of the Harley Receiver, PnP, no soldering required.

I'm just asking if any of you folks have a newer Plug n Play setup? Or have all the newer GDOs done away with the accessory screw terminals?

Thanks,
Ed 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »

Unfortunately it seems it's the new fangled door openers that aren't compatible.  The old plain jane openers with a simple wall button to open and close are the ones the Harley system was designed to easily work with (just connect the two wires from the receiver to the two contacts on the opener for the wall button).  The new multi-function types with the "smart" wall control won't work with the old simple two wire connection to the opener, because those two wires from the wall control now carry different signals depending on what function you pressed on the control panel.  However, all is not lost as there are multiple ways to make the Harley system work with the newer openers.  One involves soldering the two wires from the receiver to the contacts for the open/close switch on the circuit board in that fancy wall control .  Another is to have your Harley receiver modified to wirelessly connect with the door opener, essentially making the Harley receiver act like one of the remotes from the door opener. 

The openers made by Chamberlain are the most common ones on the market, they are sold under the Chamberlain name, the LiftMaster name, the Craftsman name, etc.  The mods I mentioned above will work on those openers.  I think you can still get some of the simpler openers without all the new bells and whistles (separate light switch, time display, etc.) from the various old line brands as well, look for a simple wall button if you don't want any extra features. There are some new names in the market that I'm not familiar with, some that are totally wireless even for the wall control.  I'm not sure if there are any workarounds for those yet.

Creative Access Solutions is the company that offers modifications for the receivers, try this link to their ebay store:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/casolutions14/m.html?item=272530541050

Jerry

That's what I was concerned with.
Thanks Jerry, glad to see you're still around :2vrolijk_21:

lorenc

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 11:20:16 AM »

Just buy another of the new style transmitters and solder the Harley opener base to the pushbutton contacts in that transmitter. Hang the transmitter close to the HD base and Walla! There you go

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »

This is the best door opener button on the market. It works with and brand bike and any type of door or gate. Requires no modifications or wiring to your bike. In fact it usually factory installed on most newer bikes.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.