Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Current State of the Art on Oil Coolers?  (Read 6038 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Current State of the Art on Oil Coolers?
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »

Have recently completed some engine work on my old Road Glide.  It's got a bit more pep than it used to.  Love the way it runs and it sounds great.  Today was the warmest day it has seen so far but was still only 80 degrees.  Oil temp climbed to 230 and stayed there.

That's not enough to chase me to buying more parts yet.  Summer weather might though.  So doing the homework ahead just in case.

I've got a stock version of an oil cooler that was used on the SEEGs or the 03 Road King.  Thermostatic housing and small-ish tank.  Might do one of the fan assisted units though if I decide to do anything.  I've got no experience with any of the currently available options though.  Jagg, Ultra-Cool, something else?  Comments good, bad, or otherwise?

Thanks

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Current State of the Art on Oil Coolers?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »

Cooling the heads with fans is a better approach, oil temps stay lower as well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »

Cooling the heads with fans is a better approach, oil temps stay lower as well.

No argument as to effectiveness.  Truly none.  This is a personal view of appearance/aesthetic consideration.  I didn't just hang dark red powder coated and diamond cut cylinders and heads on the bike to follow that up with funky looking wing mounted chrome plated counter rotating overly large nipples whirring away on the side of the engine. 

They may work wonderfully.  But not on my bike.  I'd kiss a moderator before mounting any of those things I've ever seen.   ???

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 02:30:53 PM »

Form over function kind of thing huh?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »

Don
These are the ones I am looking at:

Ultra Cool - https://www.ultracoolfl.com/
Jag - https://jagg.com/
Buds - https://harleyoilcoolers.com/

Not a fan of stuff under the bike, but haven’t completely ruled out the Bud system.    The ultra cool has come highly recommended.    Have owned the 10 row Jagg just no empirical data to say how good it did.   Tuner friend in Texas recommends the Jagg due to volume of oil flow not being restricted like Harley, and you get more rows for cooling.    May try one first on the roadking, as it has no oil cooler.   On the 15 was where I had considered the Bud to keep the regulator area clean.   May also consider a plus one oil pan in conjunction but it has a hefty price tag.

I know I gotta do something I don’t like the temps I am seeing while tuning the bikes and it’s not summer here yet.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:02:14 PM »

Yes.  And more cowbell.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 05:50:37 PM »

EXACTLY !!   :huepfenlol2:

Sometimes you just have to go that way......  :drink:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 06:07:53 PM »

Don
These are the ones I am looking at:

Ultra Cool - https://www.ultracoolfl.com/
Jag - https://jagg.com/
Buds - https://harleyoilcoolers.com/

Not a fan of stuff under the bike, but haven’t completely ruled out the Bud system.    The ultra cool has come highly recommended.    Have owned the 10 row Jagg just no empirical data to say how good it did.   Tuner friend in Texas recommends the Jagg due to volume of oil flow not being restricted like Harley, and you get more rows for cooling.    May try one first on the roadking, as it has no oil cooler.   On the 15 was where I had considered the Bud to keep the regulator area clean.   May also consider a plus one oil pan in conjunction but it has a hefty price tag.

I know I gotta do something I don’t like the temps I am seeing while tuning the bikes and it’s not summer here yet.

I was looking at either the Jagg or the UltraCool Harry.  No personal experience but for reasons none other than that it gave me bad crawly feelings I did rule out the under bike Bud unit.  Looked like it would make oil changes more tedious, potentially interfere with the temp sending unit in the front of the oil pan, I didn't like the idea of all the reflectivity directly off the hot road surface and could close my eyes and too easily see debris damage.

Between the UltraCool and the Jagg unit, unless someone shares some hands on experience suggesting otherwise, I'm inclined right now toward the UltraCool unit.  Prefer the hard fittings on the lines as opposed to the hoses and hose clamps on the Jagg.  The UltraCool also mounts its temp sender on the filter adapter versus Jagg's having it in a brass T fitting (at least for my model bike).  Small stuff.  But it's enough to push a decision one way versus the other when other things regarding functionality are apparently relatively equal.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:14:31 PM »

I installed the jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler last year on my SERG. I didn’t use their thermostat control, hooked it up with a out of sight inline toggle switch. The rubber hose they supply is questionable too so I got some regular nylon braided fuel line along with fuel line clamps, all good there. I tried to use the HD oil filter adapter but gave in and used the supplied one because the oil lines run under the filter and was easier for oil filter changes. It took some doing but I’m happy with it now. I don’t have any quantitive data on how well it works because I did a few other mods for cooling while I was at it.

Would I do it again knowing what I know, a strong maybe.

The jagg also mounts a lil higher up compared to the OEM by not using the bolt on mount for the factory cooler.

Other cooling mods are baker 1.5+ oil pan and some mighty mite cooling fans.  :drink:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:43:56 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 05:49:37 AM »

In the same idea, for an FLHXSE2 '11 : Who have replaced the rubber Hose oil cooler ( # 62629-11 & # 62641-11) by stainless steel braided Hose oil cooler ?  Is it a kit for that ? Thanks
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 07:24:34 AM »

Ultra cool is the way to go! It's easy to install & the instructions are right on.
I like the led light that comes on when the fans are running.
I also went with the Flo oil filter system which is reusable. I did buy some xtra o rings.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:34:37 AM by danner55 »
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

quicked

• quicked
  • Junior CVO Member
  • GOTTA RIDE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 inferno orange flstse
    • CVO2: 2009 electric orange fltrse3
    • CVO3: 2005 cherry seeg,sold 1994 black,polish and chrome FATBOY 117 CUSTOM S&S SIDEWINDER,BAKER TORQUEBOX,CHAINDRIVE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 08:14:43 AM »

I added the jagg 10 row cooler above the factory oil cooler with flat aluminum brackets and diamond engineering fasteners,that worked for my HOT high compression 124ci in my fltrse3
09 fltrse3, custom hicomp124,,s&s flywheel,axtell cyl,,redshift 647 cams.s&s lifters,roller rockers,jims titanium pushrods.weldedported heads,s&s lifter pushrods,feuling beehive springs,s&s tc3 oilpump cam plate,se 5.3 inj,se 58mm tbody,baker grudgebox,barnett clutch,aims vp,diamondeng race fastnrs,thundermax,d&d boarzilla,2010 flstse,SE10.5 pistons,ported heads,s&s pshrdslifters,rollrrockers,woodscamstw9b6,SE6.2inj,hpi55tbody,barnettclutch,diamondeng race fasteners ,pm calipers,rb race header

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:48 AM »

I can't comment on the coolers shown because I have not used them.
I am partial to Jagg however.

I haven't changed the stock oil cooler on my bike now. I just use head fans and in hot stop and go they do keep both the heads and the oil cooler. I used to see oil hit 260-270 and now it is never over 240°F. That's the plus side, the minus is all that heat ends up being blown right on you at slow speeds. I did use Wards 160° thermostat, not sure those are around any more nor are his fans. Wards fans look nice and are even granite. Too bad he got snuffed out by the competition.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/outdoor_garage/wards-parts-werks-160-thermostat-install-2009-flht-t314.html

On my 2007 Streetglide I used an uptube mounted cooler, Jagg. I like the Jaggs because their core is made by Setrab /Susa, high quality plus has some design features others don't. Personally, and not sure anyone would be this AR, I like to use braze on AN adapters then use teflon lined steel braided -6 lines with steel swivel fittings.

I am not a fan of the FLO filters and variants but that is another discussion altogether.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »

In the same idea, for an FLHXSE2 '11 : Who have replaced the rubber Hose oil cooler ( # 62629-11 & # 62641-11) by stainless steel braided Hose oil cooler ?  Is it a kit for that ? Thanks

I sourced some hose from local speed shop for specific application, used fuel line clamps. Don't remember the details right off.The OEM is molded and allows access to oil filter, I toyed with doing something using the HD oil filter adapter but chose the other route instead.
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »

I installed the jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler last year on my SERG. I didn’t use their thermostat control, hooked it up with a out of sight inline toggle switch. The rubber hose they supply is questionable too so I got some regular nylon braided fuel line along with fuel line clamps, all good there. I tried to use the HD oil filter adapter but gave in and used the supplied one because the oil lines run under the filter and was easier for oil filter changes. It took some doing but I’m happy with it now. I don’t have any quantitive data on how well it works because I did a few other mods for cooling while I was at it.

Would I do it again knowing what I know, a strong maybe.

The jagg also mounts a lil higher up compared to the OEM by not using the bolt on mount for the factory cooler.

Other cooling mods are baker 1.5+ oil pan and some mighty mite cooling fans.  :drink:

I'd not thought of just putting the thing on a switch Phil.  The oil temp gauge is right in front of me so it's not like it would be a mystery when to use it.

I also do like the filter position with the Jagg adapter.  Looks like like you I'm not a fan of their line kits though.  But for the life of me I've still never bought in to the larger oil pans being a "cooling" device.  Thermodynamics don't work that way.  Would certainly make it take longer to get hot.  But the same larger mass and volume would then take longer to cool down too.  Plus, well, my oil pan is powder coated red  ;D .
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 24 queries.