Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Oil Level Question  (Read 4795 times)

Rickasha

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
Oil Level Question
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »

Got the new bike home the other day, and as always checked the oil level to make sure it was full. With the bike hot and on the jiffy stand, the oil level was at the half way mark on the dipstick, or in the same location as if full cold. After the bike sat overnight I checked the level cold and got the same reading? Does the Syn 3 not expand like the old petroleum based oil? If not, should I bring the level to the full mark on the dipstick or keep it at the half way point??

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Oil Level Question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »

Most of us run the oil level 1/2 way between the full mark and the add mark as yours is now.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »

What Boatman said. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Rickasha

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the input, I appreciate your responses!!!

Hx3

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
    • CVO2: Not CVO - 2008 Crossbones
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »

Why not run it full?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »

Why not run it full?

When filled to "full" when cold these engines often mist; sometimes significantly.  That is to say they'll push oil or aerated/cavitated oil mist up through the breather system in the head and out the air cleaner.

Hx3

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »

But if the dipstick is at half when hot wouldn't you want to fill it the rest of the way?   ???

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »

But if the dipstick is at half when hot wouldn't you want to fill it the rest of the way?   ???

I never pay any attention to the level on the dipstick unless the bike is about 4k miles in to an oil change and obviously needs topped off.  For fill level, however, I pay attention to a half quart low when cold.  Anything more than that and either of my bikes (along with many others) will mist.  Use in practice is the guide for this one.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:12:58 PM »

When filled to "full" when cold these engines often mist; sometimes significantly.  That is to say they'll push oil or aerated/cavitated oil mist up through the breather system in the head and out the air cleaner.

X2...any given bike MAY be a little different, but if the bike is not "using" oil, running 1/2 qt low seems to be where most of the motors like to be.  It's like it reaches a state of equalibrium and does not puke oil mist out of the air cleaner when it reaches it's "happy level".  As Don mentioned, don't worry much about the oil until 3-4K into the change, then I'll check it.  I've got the electronic dip stick/oil temp, so IF I think about it on a road trip, and the bike is level, hot, etc.  I'll sometimes take a look just for peace of mind, but don't fret if I don't.  They especially like to puke when run hard if all the way full.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hx3

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

Thanks very much for the answers and education.  Very helpful.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »

well that is just funny, why would you fill it to the full line..... it is a HD after all

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

I always thought that oil mist on the air filter was a good thing... that way it will never rust!

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 06:12:05 AM »

I have oil carryover and have run it for tens of thousands of miles at a 1/2 down the stick, hot or cold.  Recently I ran it up to top of the mark and have not noticed any diff in carryover, for what it's worth.  I tried running it higher to see if oil temp would be different (it wasn't), or if my noisey lifters would get quieter earlier in the warm up period (they didn't).
BTW, on my 3rd set of lifters in 50K miles.
T

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »

For nonbelievers, here is a simple test you can perform in the privacy of your own garage.  Fill the tank to the full mark (hot), then ride the bike as you normally do.  Check the oil level weekly, but do not add unless the oil drops completely to the ADD mark (hot).  If your bike is like many of them, what you are likely to find is that you will use about a pint of oil initially, then the level will stabilize at roughly halfway between the ADD and FULL marks.  If this is the case with your bike, then it makes sense to just fill it only to that point in the first place. Unless you really think it's good to oil the air cleaner and throttle body/intake manifold, of course.  Since these things aren't two stroke engines, I don't think it's necessary to pump oil through the intake myself.

If you somehow managed to get a Harley that doesn't puke out a pint initially, then by all means run it full.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Maybe I'm not familiar with the details of a dry sump system, but wonder why the level of oil withing the tank is so critical (or perceived as such)?  Its not like an oil pan in a car engine.  Please enlighten me.

Thanks
Phil
Any day on the bike is a good day.

RonsterMonster

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2020, 08:00:26 PM »

That's an odd response. Why would oil tank level have anything to do with "misting", since it has no effect on how the sump works, or how much oil or pressure there is in the rockerbox? If you have an engine misting with a full oil tank, there is likely a crankcase ventilation issue. The oil level has no relation to rockerbox volumetric performance.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 04:50:58 AM »

It's something I've noticed when I've topped up the oil to the Full mark when I've gone to start the bike cold or hot on start up it would at times not start straight away when this would happen I'd stop then hit the starter again it would fire up but then spit out a cloud of blue,...with oil on the Full mark,.

When the oil is on roughly the halfway mark(I call it 2 blocks down, as the dip is suctioned of in blocks) the blue will not happen on a restart. So the 2 block down level works for mine.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 08:18:33 AM »

On the Harleys I have owned 1/2 quart low is just about right.  4 quarts added at an oil change = problems.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »

just to add, if the oil level is between the 'add' and 'full' marks, it is not 'low'.  that is the operating range.  oil is not 'low' until it is below the 'add' mark.  so if you are not actively using oil, if it is in-between the 2 marks, you are good to go.  it does nothing to add oil at that point, as tennisman has found out.  of course, if you are near the 'add' mark and getting ready to do a fair ride, you can add a little to bring you up higher on the stick, for peace of mind.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.