Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: valve train noise  (Read 4632 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: valve train noise
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 07:46:50 AM »

"No Bar To Far"

Roger that

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »

I have read all these posts with great interest since I have experienced these same noise issues since installing the zipper's 575 gear driven cams last summer.  In addition to the cams, I installed S&S roller rockers, S&S gear drive, S&S pushrods, stock oil pump (shimmed).  Valve train was noisy, the "clickty clack" sound eminating from the rocker boxes I normally associate with mechanical lifters.  My tech (whom I trust) checked after initial break-in and found one of the roller rockers to be defective (i.e. cracked/collapsed cup where the pushrod makes contact with the rocker arm).  Unusual problem, but rockers where replaced at no cost to me.  However, still noisy, checked again, everything appeared to be normal so I just forgot about it, only noticable under 2000 rpm.

In discussions with Zipper's on the subject, I was told that the roller rockers themselves could be the source of the noise and if it really bothered me, I should go back to the stock rocker arms.  However, when they tore down my motor last month for the 120 build I'm doing, my crank was .008 in out of tolerance which, in combination with the gear drive, was the culprit.  All that being said, everyone here has touched on valid causes of valve train noise (crank shaft out of tolerance, insufficient clearance in rocker boxes, etc.).  The bottom line is that you need to check them all to satisfy yourself that everything is OK.  If all checks out, don't worry about it.  Just my .02.

In any event, great posts and sharing of information, nice to know I'm not the only one.  BTW, I am going to reuse the roller rockers for the 120.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »

When the 575s went in the red bike one of the things initially noticed was an almost solid lifter type of sound.  It wasn't a big deal to quickly check all the clearances and make sure things weren't bashing in to each other.  All clear.  Just a nice new sound that sounds like it belongs in a good running motor.

When a little more work happened later that included a different set of cams all clearances were all stay good.  The nice rackety-tap-tap sound was still present.  And I'm still happy.  So everyone should do the minimal due diligence necessary to make sure it isn't eating itself.  Then, when it's ok, just enjoy it.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 02:27:39 AM »

Well I feel better knowing that others are having the same noise and that it must just be the nature of the beast.Like I said before it's not that bad and it is something that I can live with. Thanks for all the reply's. 
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Tros

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 08:44:14 AM »

I road my bike bone stock for a year (04). That winter I put in 103+ heads and pistons, 625S&S gear drive cams, roller rockers, ect ect ect. and true duels. Dyno tuned with SERT and only got 100hp and 103 ft lbs. I wrote it off to the V&H true duels. But, the valve train was noisy, I questioned it with the builder but he said its normal. So I road it another 10,000 miles the 2nd season (05) with know problems. That winter back to the shop (different shop). Wanted more. The builder welded up the heads and re machined them changed the cam to a Woods TC400 that is supposed to have more lift yet put a different set of springs in it and changed one of the gears in the gear drive in an effort to remove some noise. It may be a little less noisy down low but the top end still clatters/clans. Added a set of Fat Cat 2 into 2 pipes and dyno tuned this time with 113hp and 115 ft lbs. I road it another 10,000 miles (06).  Do I like the noise...No! But, I'm living with it and my SEEG seems to living with it too. Maybe some day when I need to do a rebuild I will try something other heads and cams without so much lift and see what I get. One things for sure......This 1/2 ton Bagger runs down the road good with 113 hp and 115 ft lbs of tork. Them honda VTX's fall behind whe :jalapeno: :pumpkin:n its go time. Turn up the radio and Ride! 

If you're referring to the VTX1800, I'm impressed.   ;) 

Tros

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »

Since this is a valvetrain thread, can anyone tell me where I can find the Cam specs for the stock 96" Softail engine?

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 05:40:41 PM »

I just got done installing the tw5g woods cam fueling oil pump lifters and cam plate on my seeg 103 you want to talk about noise a lot of noise but nice power down low going in for a dyno tune. will post it when i get it. 29k on stock cam chain tensioners and they are in good shape not much ware at all cams looked good and so did the oil pump. Could of gone 50k but now i don't have to wonder when they will ware out.

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »

I'm new to the site and getting ready to have some mild mods done myself, and I know about the rockerbox clearance problems, but what is crank shaft run out. Someone here mentioned that they had .080 tolerance. Is it side to side movement like the crank is moveing in and out, or a front to back wobble like too much play in the bearings or what. Help, I'm studified by all the problems we are left to correct with this new 110 motor!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 06:26:54 PM »

Kingdog;
Crank runout is wobble in the crank. I'm not positive on the tollerance for the 07's but the max runout on the previous TC motors was only .015".  AT .080" there would be some major problems......Here is a pic of it being measured:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:29:14 PM by hd-dude »

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »

I just got my bike dyno tuned at Latus in Portland OR woods tw5g cam sampsom rolled oval slip on pipes screamin eagle air cleaner 95hp 110 torq good enough for me max torq at 3500 to 4000rpm max hp at 4800rpm to 5500rpm

STICKMAN

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

:nixweiss:I just had much of the same work done and have a clanking noise. I say it's coming from the reworked heads. My wrench said it's coming from the primary (comp nut). I took off the comp nut. Cleaned both sets of threads and torqued it back with red loc-tite. I have an auto chain tensioner on there and it seems to be doing it's job. The sound it still there. I also have oil coming from the front lower exhaust stud. Thought it might be a blown new head gasket but it's definitely following the threads on the exhaust stud. When you get on it, it's more then just a trickle, it gets all over the fins and the oil filter. Any ideas?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 26 queries.