Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Vehicle Hold Control New for 2020  (Read 12771 times)

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
Re: Vehicle Hold Control New for 2020
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »

Explained more fully here: https://motorbikewriter.com/harley-davidson-traction-control-2/

Vehicle Hold Control (VHC)

Vehicle Hold Control (VHC) applies and holds brake pressure when activated and prevents the motorcycle from rolling after the rider has released the brake controls. The primary function of VHC is to prevent the motorcycle from rolling when it is stopped – for example at a stop sign on a hill, in stop-and-go traffic on a slope, or on a steep decline out of a parking structure. VHC is designed to make it easier to ride away with confidence by minimizing the number of controls needed to pull away smoothly. The system applies brake pressure until the rider actuates the throttle and clutch to pull away. VHC may also be engaged when the motorcycle is stopped on a flat surface if the rider wants to maintain position without applying pressure to a brake control.

The rider activates VHC by momentarily applying extra pressure to either the front brake hand lever or the rear-brake foot control after the motorcycle has come to a complete stop. If rider brakes very hard to a stop, and holds the brake pressure after stopping, VHC may also set without any added squeeze. A VHC indicator light will illuminate to confirm that the rider has activated VHC, and the ABS system will hold brake pressure after the rider releases the brake control. VHC is disengaged automatically as the rider begins to pull away from a stop, or if the rider applies and releases either brake control.

VHC is not to be used as a parking brake, so it will also disengage if the rider lowers the side stand (on models with a side-stand sensor, not a feature in all markets) or shifts into neutral on models without a side-stand sensor, or if the engine is turned off. In most situations after five minutes the indicator light will flash and the VHC will release if there is no rider action.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »

Just another piece of unneeded fluff and expense to break and make you bring it to a dealer to fix.

Don't need it, don't want it, no thank you
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »

I'm actually surprised that stuff like this haven't become Federally mandated basic hardware.  Not because it's necessary but just because they can; and that's what bean counters do.  Harley's benefit from this will be the pitch to very new riders; it will make it "easier" for them to feel comfortable at stops.  Since it's not a mandatory usage thing it's hard to get worked up about.  Is still just another point of potential failure and added expense though.  Hey, I can remember when speedometers and front brakes seemed extravagant.....

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 02:26:12 AM »

My 57 Studebaker had it too ... They called it a 'hill holder'.

What's old is new again ... 

Cheers,
Smoketown

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 06:32:03 AM »

How about a "don't turn in front of me" hold control?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »

Yeah I was kind of scratching my head on this one too. Maybe I stumbled on to some secret technique, so I'll share it... Apply breaking pressure until the clutch starts to engage.  ;)

Not sure how i have been able to ride my suicide foot clutch bike all these years, without the aid of sensors and ride controls, but like ACfixer, i muddle on 
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »

In the age of cheap electronics, all vehicle manufacturers are in love with the idea of adding gimmicks, not because they are truly needed, but because they can.  For instance, once they went to the cheaper keyless lock and ignition systems, they found they could add cheap sensors to let people wave their foot under the rear bumper to open a liftgate or deck lid.  I guess it might come in handy if you work for the mob and are struggling to carry a dead body wrapped up in a rug and need to dump it in the trunk, but for most situations it is overkill.

As for the hill holding stuff, or vehicle hold control, you have to remember we now have more than one generation of drivers that never learned to use a clutch and manual transmission, or even how to use a parking brake or left foot on the brake when driving an automatic trans vehicle.  These are the same generations that tend to drive distracted more than most, which has led to all the driver assist tech like automatic braking, lane keeping,etc.  And now there is even a push for auto makers to be forced to add a system to remind parents to check for kids before locking and walking away from their cars.  A parent with short term memory issues and lots of distractions could just tape a reminder on the inside of the windshield and driver door glass, but these days we always insist a third party be responsible for doing what we are too dumb or lazy to do ourselves.  This will be one more thing where negligent people will be able to shift blame to someone else AND sue for damages.  The nanny state is only going to get more intrusive, so get used to it.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

I'm actually surprised that stuff like this haven't become Federally mandated basic hardware.  Not because it's necessary but just because they can; and that's what bean counters do.  Harley's benefit from this will be the pitch to very new riders; it will make it "easier" for them to feel comfortable at stops.  Since it's not a mandatory usage thing it's hard to get worked up about.  Is still just another point of potential failure and added expense though.  Hey, I can remember when speedometers and front brakes seemed extravagant.....

Hey Don, I bet you remember when lap belts were an option, too....ah, those were the days when you could drive just as safe/unsafe as you wished and kids rode in the rear window of the AMC Ambassador (like I did)... ;D

As I stated on another thread concerning the RDRS, I'm good with all the additions as long as I can turn any/all of it off if I don't want to use it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 10:54:43 AM »

Hey Don, I bet you remember when lap belts were an option, too....ah, those were the days when you could drive just as safe/unsafe as you wished and kids rode in the rear window of the AMC Ambassador (like I did)... ;D

As I stated on another thread concerning the RDRS, I'm good with all the additions as long as I can turn any/all of it off if I don't want to use it.

My most "challenged" was the kicker with a crap wasted clutch  :huepfenlol2: .

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »

Jerry raises a good point and I don't know the answer to the question. A rear-end accident is the one thing we have absolutely no control over. That is why all of my bikes have had one of these installed:

MOTORCYCLE BRAKE LIGHT FLASHERS

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 11:32:33 AM »

Jerry raises a good point and I don't know the answer to the question. A rear-end accident is the one thing we have absolutely no control over. That is why all of my bikes have had one of these installed:

MOTORCYCLE BRAKE LIGHT FLASHERS

I don't have that version, but I have been told mine is pretty annoying, especially at night by other riders, and attention getting during the day.

3 sets of 5 flashes as a strobe with about .5-1 second between them, then a solid for a few seconds, repeat.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »

I don't know how useful the hill hold is going to work on the bike. If reading it correctly, when pulling the clutch in or applying the brake the system releases.

On my truck the hold is activated on greater then 5 degree hills and is automatic when coming to a stop. If you release the foot brake it will hold for 3-4 seconds.
If you apply throttle it will still hold for just a bit until you start to moving against the brakes.

Not that noticeable with the truck empty, but really works great with 23,000 pounds of 5th wheel behind you.

I would think for a bike to be most effective it would need to hold while clutch is in, brake is applied then released and then as you apply throttle it releases to move.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »

On my 1982 Subaru the hill holder was attached to the clutch cable. I had it disconnected. I never used it.

I know I sound like a broken record, but all these things do is mask a persons inability to ride a motorcycle or drive a car. Not a wise thing to do. Learn to do it the correct way. Practice till you are comfortable.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »

Shoot, I got "hill control" now when stopping on a step incline.  Just put my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the rear brake.  Works every time.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »

Not needed in Florida since we don't have any hills.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.