Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dealer Trade In Allowances Frustration  (Read 4102 times)

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Dealer Trade In Allowances Frustration
« on: August 31, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »

I have an honest question out there for anybody that works at a dealership...

When I traded in my 2010 Road King for my 2014 CVO Road King, the dealer was able to give me more than the bike was "worth" to make the deal work... knowing they would be making up the "loss" on the deal for the new bike.  As a matter of fact, they gave me $3k more than they sold it on the floor for! 

I'm currently looking to trade in my bike for a CVO Road Glide and I'm a little flabbergasted, ESPECIALLY considering the market and bikes that have been sitting on the floor for a year!, that dealers are low balling me on my trade value??  I'm asking for fair RETAIL value of my bike (multiple listings for stock bikes...and mine is WAY above stock) in line with what I'm asking and they are coming in $7k-$10k less than I'm asking for trade value.

I've been up front with them that they aren't going to be able to make money on both ends of the deal (make $ on trade AND sale), but that I would pay full MSRP for the bike plus ESP, etc.  Doesn't seem like anyone wants to play ball?

Just me?
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Dealer Trade In Allowances Frustration
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »

While I'm not working at a Dealer, Do have a lotta experience around the Auto and Motorcycle industries.

Currently; the used motorcycle market is extremely soft. Bikes are generally selling retail closer to wholesale prices. Check out prices on rumbleon.com. it's eye opening.

Dealers figure they can sell a CVO for MSRP or real close to it, without risking a loss on a trade.

Without question, your best bet is to sell your bike on your own, then buy your CVO from a position of strength. If you want to save thousands, buy a low mile used bike.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

dghboy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »

The days of what we considered fair trades are over. The Harley Market is flooded with used bikes. The new ones are not selling as well as they used to. So yes follow the previous advice, sell your bike for what you feel is fair and then negotiate on a new one if a Harley is what you wish for. A 20 year old Harley and a new one are not much different other than all the new tech electronic gadgets. Not really exciting to me anymore. I am happy with with my 2010 CVO Streetglide which by the way I bought used. My last new bike was also in 2010 a regular Streetglide. My CVO I bought used. Just MO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride it like you stole it!!!

mark

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »

Things aren't what they used to be.  The used market is so flush, and new bikes aren't selling, the whole market is depressed.  To each his own, but I've sold my last bike on my own...I'd rather take what I can get on a trade and avoid the drama of dealing with the public.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 09:39:43 PM »

fair retail is what they should be selling it for, not what they should be giving you in trade.

but, you gotta stop looking at it in terms of what they are giving you in trade.  they can give you high trade, and then mark up the new bike so it's a wash.  what you need to be looking at is the 'out the door'  bottom line price of what you are paying after they add in fees and deduct trades, down payments, etc.  that's the number that you need to be concerned with.

are you going to be upset if they offer you $3000 less in trade, but discount the new bike by $4000?  or would you rather they gave you the higher trade, but sold you the new bike for msrp?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

dghboy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »

Agreed, if you know bike values wholesale and retail, than you understand a transaction. Can’t expect retail for your bike and $4000 discounts on your new. Is sometimes a wash as long as you know cost of new and value of your trade. At the end of the day, make a transaction that you are happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 10:12:57 PM »

I would not expect a dealer doing any dealing on a new 2019 CVO Road Glide since there is not a 2020 CVO Road Glide.

Simply supply and demand.

Open a dialogue on a CVO Limited and see if you get a more favorable deal...if you get a good number on your trade then switch it over to the Road Glide and you might squeeze a little more out.

As mentioned before...I always talk “out the door pricing”. Once you know this number you can decide how best to pay for it.

Good Luck and hope you get what you want.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

Here's a example of the market. A 2016 CVO Road Glide with 4,800 miles for $24,888. At rumbleon.com

Here's the Vehicle details:
 https://consumerweb.rumbleon.com/buy/1HD1TAN13GB953513

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:16 PM »

Retail price to a consumer, 14 CVO road king with a little over 11,000 miles for $14,888. Gotta figure wholesale purchased for around $13,000 tops.  Rumbleon.com

Here's the Vehicle details:
 https://consumerweb.rumbleon.com/buy/1HD1PG811EB962825

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:36:28 PM by scottt »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »

As others have said, don't fixate on how much they are offering on the trade.  The only important number is the final transaction price.  IMHO the best approach is to separate the transactions.  Make your best deal on the new bike.  Unless you are in a strong market, dealers should be more than willing to discount a new 2019 CVO.  I have no idea what if anything H-D gives them on carryover bikes, but you can figure they have about $8k in gross profit figured into the MSRP before any other Harley incentives.

If you want top dollar for your trade, the only way that is going to happen is if you sell it yourself and happen to get lucky.  The market sucks right now in most areas.  Otherwise, if you're like me and want nothing to do with selling direct to an individual, your only option is to either sell outright to a dealer (doesn't have to be the one you're buying the new bike from), or do a consignment deal if you have a local dealer that still offers that option.  Unfortunately the Harley market is flooded with bikes, new and used, so you really have no leverage when selling your old bike.  It sucks, especially for people who still remember the way things were in the 90's, but you have to look at the Harley market these days as being just like the automotive market.  Harley's these days, including CVO's, depreciate immediately and rapidly.

Btw, all the money you sank into modifications doesn't count for much either.  Some places offer nothing extra for mods, others may allow ten cents on the dollar.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »

Jerry, as always, is right on the money...pardon the pun.

This last trade went well for me in that the '15 lost quite a bit in the last 6 months of ownership. Selling it to the dealer, they kept it almost 5 months before selling but not after lowering the price (twice).  I believe our timing was good...this time.

Local dealers normally only allow 10% for any additional modifications.

I sure do miss the 1990's when it comes to trading... ;D

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

The spring of 2012....Drane's had a BYOB (Bring your own Bike) sale day in their parking lot....I was asking $15,000 for my '08 with very little interest and only one call-back....saw the '12 Ruby on the floor a few weeks later and worked a deal.....paid MSRP and they gave me just under $18,000 for the '08. So...paid no tax on the $18,000,,,,thought it was a pretty good deal
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:04:22 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »

All good advice. When it comes to extras I take what I can off and put the stock parts back on. Either put it on my new bike or sell the stuff. Dealers don't care what you have done to the bike or what you have in it...Some private buyers do.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2019, 04:53:24 PM »

The spring of 2012....Drane's had a BYOB (Bring your own Bike) sale day in their parking lot....I was asking $15,000 for my '08 with very little interest and only one call-back....saw the '12 Ruby on the floor a few weeks later and worked a deal.....paid MSRP and they gave me just under $18,000 for the '08. So...paid no tax on the $18,000,,,,thought it was a pretty good deal

No tax on the trade in difference is a very good point.  I always consider that tax difference & when selling to an individual that difference needs to be covered for a deal to make sense.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »

No tax on the trade in difference is a very good point.  I always consider that tax difference & when selling to an individual that difference needs to be covered for a deal to make sense.
Your lucky. In California the sales tax starts at ground zero regardless of/if the trade. Between Tax, Lic. Dealer doc fee your looking between 9 and 10 percent of the sale price day one. Close to $4,000 on a new CVO ultra. Add at least $6,000 depreciation day one on the bike, $10,000 min. Gone when you ride over the curb.

You can buy a nice low mile ised Harley for $10,000, including tax and Lic from a private party.

If you got it, what the heck. If your like most Harley riders, a used bike makes way more sense. At least to me.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.