Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dealer Trade In Allowances Frustration  (Read 4100 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Dealer Trade In Allowances Frustration
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 09:19:23 PM »

Your lucky. In California the sales tax starts at ground zero regardless of/if the trade. Between Tax, Lic. Dealer doc fee your looking between 9 and 10 percent of the sale price day one. Close to $4,000 on a new CVO ultra. Add at least $6,000 depreciation day one on the bike, $10,000 min. Gone when you ride over the curb.

You can buy a nice low mile ised Harley for $10,000, including tax and Lic from a private party.

If you got it, what the heck. If your like most Harley riders, a used bike makes way more sense. At least to me.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Did not know CA was that tax hungry. Knew CA is a high tax state. Other states tax the difference between trade in & sale price. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 09:49:25 PM »

Did not know CA was that tax hungry. Knew CA is a high tax state. Other states tax the difference between trade in & sale price. 
12% here in BC (Bring Cash)
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 10:04:16 PM »

Yup, we are taxed on the whole load! With todays prices it really adds up. We also pay license fees based on the sale price, if you buy a $50,000 vehicle it will run you around $500 per year. Dropping slowly as the vehicle drops in value.

I like Northern California, great weather, darn near year around riding. No tornadoes or hurricanes. Minimal earth quake risk or fire risk if you stay out of the hills. That said, it's expensive! Homes and property taxes are sky high. Not unusual to spend $7,000 a year on property taxes for a modest track home.

The other upside; lotta opportunity.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »

Nice to visit BC & NoCal, wouldn't want to live there.  Will stay in the buggy hinterland swamps of America's boneyard for now, where taxes are less unless you are a tourist.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

Thank you all for the advice and insight!  Interesting information...

The silver lining is I happen to LOVE my bike, so at least I'm not at a loss in the situation!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »

a friend of mine just showed me a quote on a new harley - 8000 off msrp, plus his vet discount and very low interest... new 8 miles on it....

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »

Well, although not ideal.... it ended up working out.  I wanted $18k, they offered $12k, ended up giving me $16k.  Now another big question...  what has everyone paid for their ESP??  I think I got raped!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »

which esp did you get?  term?  how much did you end up paying?

the esp is a negotiable item, and you don't have to get it from the same dealer you bought your bike from.  you also have a time period where you can cancel it and receive 100% of your purchase price back.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 07:12:21 PM »

which esp did you get?  term?  how much did you end up paying?

the esp is a negotiable item, and you don't have to get it from the same dealer you bought your bike from.  you also have a time period where you can cancel it and receive 100% of your purchase price back.

I ended up paying $3000 for the 60 month ESP (which I have always gotten the full loan term and they kept telling me it was "more") plus they finagled some stupid "anti-theft" product for an additional $500.   :nixweiss:
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »

I ended up paying $3000 for the 60 month ESP (which I have always gotten the full loan term and they kept telling me it was "more") plus they finagled some stupid "anti-theft" product for an additional $500.   :nixweiss:

With two years of original warranty it's unfortunate we're often so sanguine with things like $3k of extra money for (basically) three more years of service protection.  That we think service failures in the 3rd thru 5th years of ownership of a modern production motor vehicle will be more than a thousand bucks a year is, no matter how necessary it has become, hard to swallow.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 12:02:49 AM »

With two years of original warranty it's unfortunate we're often so sanguine with things like $3k of extra money for (basically) three more years of service protection.  That we think service failures in the 3rd thru 5th years of ownership of a modern production motor vehicle will be more than a thousand bucks a year is, no matter how necessary it has become, hard to swallow.
Really makes ya wonder; consider this; we all would agree that a BMW 6cyl motorcycle ( K1600B or Bagger ) is much more complimated than a touring Harley, we would all agree that BMW 6cyl motorcycle parts are more expensive than those for a Harley......then why would a 72 month extended service contract for the BMW with no deductible and no mileage limit cost $1500 while the plan for the Harley is $3000??? This is absolutely not meant to knock Harley motorcycles as i really like them and have owned many. I question the margins Harley dealers feel is appropriate.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2019, 05:57:53 AM »

Exactly why I don't buy new pickups anymore. I lease them for 3 years until that bumper to bumper warranty runs out. I put more miles on my bike than my truck every year. I'd be pissed if I had a 4 year old truck with 30k miles on it and the expensive stereo unit decided it didn't want to work anymore.
A buddy had an Explorer and the radio went out under warranty. Shop told them it would have been $5k to fix it out of warranty. The stereos in cars nowadays control much more than just the volume and station selection.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.