Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Windshields  (Read 1970 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Windshields
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »

Do you prefer to look over the windshield or thru it. I just received my CV shield & iam looking thru the top of shield where the curve is. Really cant get a good feel for it since all the plastic is still on the shield. Cant remove it if i need to return it for another one. Bike is an 09 SERG
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Windshields
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:50:29 PM »

I prefer to look over. If in your normal seating position you are looking thru the re-curve I would be a little concerned about that. Bad enough to look thru a shield in the first place but I would think looking thru the re-curve would cause some distortion. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

I prefer to look over also

steve-o

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG Electric Orange & Jet Black
    • CVO2: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO3: 2012 SEUC Electric Orange & Black Diamond
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:56:30 PM »

I prefer over, especially w/ recurve

Ultra2010

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »

I had a 12" which I looked throu.  In day light and no rain, I really like that BUT when caught in the rain or worse in the dark with lot of bus strikes, for hours at a time, well that is about as bad as it gets.  Given the choice, look over it by an inch or two..........  much safer.  Maybe it's my age,(over 50 with 35+ years riding) but being safe is priority to me.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 09:06:04 PM »

Newseultra07, I understand your concern. I prefer to look over my windshield, and I feel as though (and this is only my opinion ) that when you sit without slouching your eyes should just clear the top edge of the windshield. Under those circumstances I have found that that I get wind protection for my body and the windstream goes over the top of my helmet and I have a comfortable ride. Of course if you get into some bad weather you can always bend down to protect yourself from hail etc, but under your normal riding position I think your eyes should be just above the top edge.One other reason for that is most of us have some kind of eye protection (glasses or a shield) and who wants to look through two or three things. I have the stock windshield on my 09SEUC (silver) and it is just fine and I have a 19 inch on my 1995 Heritage. I have taken both bikes to wyoming and nebraska and was quite comfortable with the above windshields. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:10 PM »

I also prefer to look over the W/S - I wear a full face helmet and one layer of plastic is enough.
live free and ride safe

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

I believe the proper formula is that if you put a mark on the road or driveway 50 ft. infront of the bike you should be able to see that mark just over the top of the shield for optimum safty and comfort in your ride.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Ultra2010

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »

I believe the proper formula is that if you put a mark on the road or driveway 50 ft. infront of the bike you should be able to see that mark just over the top of the shield for optimum safty and comfort in your ride.

Marty

Marty, if that's you in the picture, your a big guy too.  I tried that formula and thats how I ended up looking through the W/S.... guess I screwed it up somehow!!! 

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:09 PM »

Marty, if that's you in the picture, your a big guy too.  I tried that formula and thats how I ended up looking through the W/S.... guess I screwed it up somehow!!! 
In the picture I have a 12" K/W and it is too short to be effective but looks great so when I go on longer trips or like now when it gets cold out I put the origional shield on which is the HD 14" and it cuts all the wind and I see 50 ft. in front of the bike just over the top of the shield.  I am 6'4" and have the origional seat and shocks on the bike.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »

I have been riding street bikes since 1975 and for me I like the windshield to be just up to the bottom of my line of sight while in a normal riding position. (Not ramrod straight but not slouched over either.)
Shield height can vary between two riders even if they are the same overall height, that is why some other threads have mentioned inseam measurements. It let's others know if a rider is long legged or has a long torso.
Good info showing the pros and cons of looking through windshield vs. looking over. Also steps on how to measure for correct height here too:
http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/correctshield.php

Kool Rider

• 07 FLHTRSE3 SERK
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 12:56:27 AM »

Do you prefer to look over the windshield or thru it. I just received my CV shield & iam looking thru the top of shield where the curve is. Really cant get a good feel for it since all the plastic is still on the shield. Cant remove it if i need to return it for another one. Bike is an 09 SERG

I just installed my CV windshield a few weeks ago and I selected the 19 inch recurved shield so that I can see about 1 or 2 inches above it.  But once in a while I look through it and it did not bother me much.

Good luck.
Kool Rider
Southern Nevada

Make the best out of everyday because the future is unknown.

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 01:25:04 AM »

Top of w/s should be level between tip of your nose to chin.  I can cut yours for you at Porkchop's Chop Shop.  Before you get it cut, ride around with blue masking tape at different heights to see where it is comfortable.

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 02:27:26 AM »

Over !

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »

I prefer to look over. If in your normal seating position you are looking thru the re-curve I would be a little concerned about that. Bad enough to look thru a shield in the first place but I would think looking thru the re-curve would cause some distortion. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I'm with Gary on this. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.