Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Trailers: comments, suggestions & recommendati  (Read 4923 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Trailers: comments, suggestions & recommendati
« on: April 19, 2004, 03:31:29 PM »

Looking for a Trailer to haul the bikes when necessary, short runs for service and longer runs to Daytona.

Do you have one?  Can you comment on pros and cons?

What features are important and what are fluff...

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

vroom

Re: Trailers: comments, suggestions & recommen
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 11:30:43 PM »

TopCapTrailers.com.

This trailer is super light and tows very easy and is covered. I have the snowmobile version of this trailer,but have tried the MC version.The trailer itself is aluminum and the top is fibreglass.
Or call Fast Enterprises 204-895-1727 ask for Karl.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 09:12:04 AM »

Looking for a Trailer to haul the bikes when necessary, short runs for service and longer runs to Daytona.

Do you have one?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »

Think Snow!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 09:19:04 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 09:24:13 AM »

Think Snow!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »

Last year, on the way to Daytona, we pulled into San Antonio at Midnight (62 dergrees). We had the though to stay a couple of days to visit the Alamo and see a Spurs game. Part of the nightly ritual is to check The Weather Channel  and re-plan. Well it seems a pesky little Artic cold front with freezing rain and temps around 25 degrees was just passing Dallas and headed to Austin. Needless to say we beat feet out of there with no plans between where we were and New Orleans. Ended up about 230 miles away in Beaumont TX at a great Hampton Inn with an Olive Garden next door and Tinsletown across the parking lot. Moral of the story....Probably wouldn't have left San Antonio if the bikes were in a trailer and sure wouldn't have found "HEAVEN" in eastern Texas.

Some of the best times I've ever had on motorcycles involved tryin to deal with stuff like snow! [smiley=bigok.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 07:43:36 PM »

I just tried to relate  what I thought might be an interesting story. Certainly didn't mean to convey any criticism WPF.  

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 10:05:46 PM »

WPF:

I have never trailered a bike, but now that I am retired, I'm looking for one too so I can get south in the winter.  I'm in the same boat trying to find what to avoid and what is a "must have."

I plan on hauling a dresser and Roadking and am being told that to do that I will need either a 7' or 8' wide.  The 8' trailers really drag you down I am told so I am looking at 7'.  With a 7' you need to park the bikes staggered one in front of the other...the handlebars are too wide otherwise.

I am also sold on aluminum verses steel.  The weight is less and the winter salt on the roads makes short life to anything metal around here.

One other concern I have is ride.  I want a trailer that will ride smooth and not bounce all over.  Vroom, did that snowmobile based trailer bounce much?  What makes a good riding trailer?  Suspension, axle rating, tire size?

I sure would like to hear any other opinions and what you decide on WPF.

As for what other think about me looking at trailers...do the words "rat's ass" mean anything to you?
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:59:54 PM »

Pardon me...but my question was about trailers themselves, not about whether or not to get a trailer.

West Coast GTG   

starvin

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 08:23:01 AM »

hey jay, with as easy as it is to take off the saddle bags maybe you could take them off and back one of the bikes on, you may get by with a narrower trailer that way. We stayed in boulder junction last weekend it was 31 dam degrees when we left sunday morning if i had a trailer the bike would of been on it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 09:38:13 AM »

JCZ, then lead by example, be less critical of people's choices.

West Coast GTG   

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 01:04:54 PM »

Here's one that I have heard a lot of favorable comments on:

http://www.rancealuminum.com/ecycle712.htm

As far as ride quality, you need something with a torsion suspension and dual axles to get the best ride.  The dual-axle trailers will also have the higher load capacity for hauling multiple bikes.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2004, 02:27:18 PM »

Two of the best that I know of:

http://www.tpdtrailers.com/
http://www.logancoach.com/silvereagle/trailers.html

The TPD's are the most expensive, but they are also the roomiest. They have a two bike model with 5200 lb. single axle.

Logan is one of the foremost horse trailer manufacturers in the US. These are all aluminum.

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2004, 07:09:48 PM »

I have a 8' wide haulmark lowhaul.  I short and I needed it short to park under a carport.

But I like the motor home!
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

vroom

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2004, 11:11:10 AM »

Jay,The trailer I mentioned does not bounce at least not when loaded,is aluminum with a fibreglass top that opens from either end. It can be towed with a small vehicle as it only weighs 845lbs. It was on display at Daytona this year.It has room for two dressers.I am really impressed with it as you dont need a diesel to pull it and you can move it around your yard or into your garage by hand. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

bigbore

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 01:25:17 AM »

Hi WPF , I hauled 2 dressers  (staggered ) in an 8 wide X 16 long  tandem axle Featherlite . It is very important to have chocks for the front wheels and to tie the wheel to the chock. Also uses 2 tie downs ( 1 on handle bars & 1 on crash bars )  Tied rear down from passenger floor boards. Trailered from Alberta , Canada to Laughlin for 5 years . Gas mileage was approx 6 m.p.g. at Interstate speeds with 350 Vortec Chevy . I now haul 1 bike in the back of my pick up with the same tie down set up and have never had one fall over
Hope this helps get you out of the snow & riding
Regards,
Bigbore [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 01:32:09 PM »

heads up i know a guy purchased high end encloused trailer left his 30k tricked out springer solt tail in trailer for several months  the inside of trailer developed a condensation problem and bike started to rust insurance company settled for 22k had a friend pick up bike salvage price 8k---ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.