Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buzzing from gas cap cover.  (Read 619 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Buzzing from gas cap cover.
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:46:16 AM »

Happy New Year to everybody. My gas cap cover on my 09SEUC used to have this buzzing noise when going down the highway. I realized by putting my left hand on the gas cap cover while riding that was where the noise was coming from.(in open position it had a lot of wiggle to it) I went to my HD dealer and they said it was under warranty and would be glad to order a new dash. Then I thought I should check some of the other ones on the show room floor. Well I went into the showroom,talked to the guy that sold me my bike and he said do what you want so I opened just about every gas cap cover on the dressers and most of them were wiggly like mine. Some were tighter and some were really loose.That being the case I figured I would try and take care it myself. It comes off with two screws. At the lower end of the gas cap cover where it swivels there are two small pieces of metal that the gas cap cover rotates on. I got some rubber tubing shrink wrap, put it over the ends and shrunk the rubber over the tips that the cover rotates on(of course the cover was on my work bench at the time). When I put it back together it was a tight fit, but  my gas cap cover still pops up when I hit the button, although not so fast, but if cured the buzzing noise. I complained about it when the bike was new, but naturally the HD tech could not hear the buzzing. Big surpirse huh! Anyways I thought  I would pass that along in case anyone else has that issue. I have no pictures of the repair, but it is a reallyeasy fix. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: Buzzing from gas cap cover.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:35 AM »

Nothing worse that hearing something unusual while riding. Glad you came up with a fix. Real simple and cheap.

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Buzzing from gas cap cover.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »

Had the same problem.  You can also just bend the metal "flex" tab to give it more pressure and a positive contact when closed.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 24 queries.