Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: #$%!% Battery Cover  (Read 3112 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: #$%!% Battery Cover
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

I couldn't agree more with the battery cover being a PITA!  I screamed, yelled, cursed and threw things when I was trying to get to the terminals to hook up the battery tender and heated gear leads.  Finally had to call the dealer and talk to one of the techs, since the service manual was of no use at all.

Care to share any tips or tricks the tech gave you?  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »

After having the battery cover off a couple of times in the last week, it has become much easier.  What I have found works the easiest is after removing the two bolts from the back of the battery cover, slide the cover forward - towards the front of the bike, you can then slip your finger below the plastic tab and push the bracket towards the battery to release the plastic battery cover totally.  Everything will lift easily up then.  Work the same way in reverse, watching to make sure no harnesses (or added accessory lines) slip below the battery cover and interfere with it being snapped back into place.  Hopefully I have described this well enough. 

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »

I had all three of my batteries off this weekend. All I can say is, if you think the touring bikes are a bitch, try a V-Rod. Finally changed the battery on the 06 V-Rod this past Saturday. Raise the seat. Remove the thing that looks like a gas tank. Remove the air filter cover. Remove the air filter. Remove 6 bolts and remove the velocity stacks. Remove the innerlower air box cover be careful to unplug appropiate wires, hoses and hard to reach clamps. . Remove the leads. Attach clamp and a come-along to the battery. Attach other end of come-along to a 4 WD pickup. Carefully winch battery out of designated slot.

To install reverse above, except a sledge hammer and a 4x4 block of wood to drive the battery into the designated area is required.

The bagger is a breeze!
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »

I had all three of my batteries off this weekend. All I can say is, if you think the touring bikes are a bitch, try a V-Rod. Finally changed the battery on the 06 V-Rod this past Saturday. Raise the seat. Remove the thing that looks like a gas tank. Remove the air filter cover. Remove the air filter. Remove 6 bolts and remove the velocity stacks. Remove the innerlower air box cover be careful to unplug appropiate wires, hoses and hard to reach clamps. . Remove the leads. Attach clamp and a come-along to the battery. Attach other end of come-along to a 4 WD pickup. Carefully winch battery out of designated slot.

To install reverse above, except a sledge hammer and a 4x4 block of wood to drive the battery into the designated area is required.

The bagger is a breeze!

Never even took a gander at what it would take to remove the battery from the Vrod....sounds like a bitch though.  Is the bike still running good?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »

I replaced the battery last fall - the cover made me feel stupid, dumbfounded and pi$$ed off.  What a PITA.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

Never even took a gander at what it would take to remove the battery from the Vrod....sounds like a bitch though.  Is the bike still running good?

Still runs good. 11,000 miles I think. None of my bikes have very many miles. My first thought is..I don't ride as much as I thought. Then I count up how many bikes I've had the last few years..LOL
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

kravnut

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »

He basically said to lift up on the back of the cover and push down on the front of the cover at the same time and push forward at the same time.  Even with this information it was a PITA, still thought I was going to snap the cover, but it did come off.
Keith

2012 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide
4" Rinehart Slip-ons
Kuryakyn Quick Adjust Tour-Pak Relocator

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

Crap, my turn!!  Just installed the tp quick disconnect hardware.  Learned to never read the stupid instructions, just study the exploded diagram on the main install sheet.

Go to install my batt tender pigtail and there it is, the seemingly unremovable batt cover.

On my way back out to the garage to see if I can get it off.  (after a short pause for a bit of refreshment)

I'll edit the post to let y'all know how it goes for me.  Hey I got an unused takeoff 09 sg seat for 80 bux at the dealership.  Looks pretty good.

UPDATE.  Piece of cake!  The description above is right on.  The tab to the front of the bike holds it there and you got to spread and move around some cables to get enough room to push the cover forward, stick your finger down next to the metal tab in front and work it off,  props to you guys again.

Sledge
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:49:18 PM by Sledge »
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 07:54:03 PM »

I read this link awhile back and thought, that must be a real pain. Then during Bikeweek I left the lights on in my wifes car and ran her battery down. It was 10:30 and I didn't want to wait for road service. Took bike seat off, took out the two rear bolts on battery cover and slide cover forward and off, no effort, no problem. Not sure what the problem was for others. Jumped the car, got  it running and slipped battery cover on and off a couple times, just no effort.
Maybe it was because I was soaking wet with sweat in my eyes and couldn't see a problem if it existed?

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »

Can be a pain first time doing it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

I read this link awhile back and thought, that must be a real pain. Then during Bikeweek I left the lights on in my wifes car and ran her battery down. It was 10:30 and I didn't want to wait for road service. Took bike seat off, took out the two rear bolts on battery cover and slide cover forward and off, no effort, no problem. Not sure what the problem was for others. Jumped the car, got  it running and slipped battery cover on and off a couple times, just no effort.
Maybe it was because I was soaking wet with sweat in my eyes and couldn't see a problem if it existed?
Wife might have been an incentive/reason you didn't have a problem getting it off too...  just sayin'. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sledge

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember, Rio Red
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

Don't know about the folks that didn't have a problem but it might be they don't have the extra bundles of cables we bagger riders have, especially with all the latest gizmos and gadgets like amplifier leads and extra power to lights, etc.

I couldn't even see the bracket holding the front side of the batt cover until I moved quite a few cables out of the way.  Once I unhooked a few and moved them it was easier, but still barely enough room.  One of those things you have to do once before it becomes obvious I guess.

Sledge
"I don't want a pickle, just want to ride on my motorsickle,
and I don't want to die, just want to ride on my motorcy...cle."
Arlo Guthrie
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 24 queries.