Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Level Question  (Read 1715 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Oil Level Question
« on: September 18, 2004, 07:46:57 PM »

Hey All,  Have a bit of a problem or at least a question.  First off I am not crazy and have not been drinking....at least not heavily.  I do have previous experience with HD's having 5 so far and am capable of checking my oil properly.  Now hope that is clear so here is my situation.  I rode from Ohio to New York for 9-11 with a group.  When I arrived in NY and filled up I checked my oil level as per owners manual.  Operating temperature, idle for 2 minutes, on jiffy stand, blah blah blah.  My level was at the full mark thus a-ok!  The oil had about 1500 miles on it since last change.  Next day we ran 130 miles to Brooklyn and then did parade duty to Ground Zero.  The weather was sunny but only about 74 but as in any parade the bikes get hot!  Anyhow after stopping at ground zero we rode 80 miles back to our hotel.  Since the bikes had run hot that day I decided to check my oil again.  Same procedure, blah blah,  stick showed down 1 full quart!  I could not believe it.  Down a quart in 200 miles?  I checked it 4 times and each time was down the full quart.  Well I added 3/4 quart to get to the full mark,  checked the oil again and it showed full.  Next day I ride home to Ohio, figure better check oil soon as I get home.  Let her idle 2 minutes and check oil.  The oil was foaming and showed almost 1/2 inch above the full mark or about a quart over full.  Now where the hell did the quart go in the first place?  Then it comes back and is overfull?  Have a friend that had the same thing happen.  Can't explain it or figure it out.  Has this happened to anyone in the group?  Where is the oil hiding when it showed a quart low?  It must have been ok since it was overfull when I got home.  And no it was not ALIENS!  I am serious.  Dealer told me to let bike idle for 2 minutes, then let it cool down for 15 minutes before checking oil.  I just don't get it.  Any ideas?

[smiley=wall.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Oil Level Question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 04:23:33 AM »

when bike gets hot oil travels  to oil cooler,hoses etc. , your dealer is nuts for telling you to wait 15 minutes after 2 min. idle. motor has to be at operating temp--regards ak
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:11:38 PM »

As per the manual, run the bike so that it is at "operating tempature" (20 miles or 20 minutes) and then place the bike  on the "jiffy stand" and let idle for 2 minutes.  Shut off and check your oil.
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:22:55 PM »

AK is right 103eagle. The oil cooler has a built in thermostat which opens and closes a valve to it.   [smiley=drink.gif]

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 06:20:01 PM »

As I mentioned I did check the oil as per stated in the manual.  The thermostat in the oil cooler would be open during normal operating temp and I do not see what difference that would make since you only put in approx 4 quarts anyway.  I still do not understand where the quart went, the oil cooler and filter together maybe hold the quart but retain it when  the engine is off thus the level should not change per that.  Still looking for answers.
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mfgreen

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 06:48:16 PM »

As I mentioned I did check the oil as per stated in the manual.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 09:03:24 PM »

Therein lies your answer

How's that the answer?  103E clearly states the bike was at full operating temp each time he checked it.  Even rode it half way across the continent twice and 80 miles across town another time just to make sure it was warm.  If the cooler/plumbing and filter somehow sponged up an extra quart one time, why wouldn't it do that every other time?

mfgreen

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 09:12:19 PM »

How's that the answer?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:45:12 PM by mfgreen »

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »

103thunder:  IMO you're chasing gremlins. First off, when your dipstick says it's a quart low it actually isn't. I've never seen a Harley where that dipstick was accurate and I've owned 11 of them and done motor work myself to all.  More like 1/2 quart. Second the post which said that the oil gets trapped in the engine is exactly on point. If you haven't already, read some of Donnie Smith's pieces in AMerican Iron about oil routing.

Personally, If I put 4 quarts in and I've got good compression. I'm gonna ride the son-o-bitch!!!1 [smiley=laugh.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:55:03 PM »

It was 103Eagle that asked the question.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 10:56:05 PM by 103tHunDer »

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.