Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 2629 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Paint question
« on: September 24, 2004, 04:35:21 PM »

Hey All,  Curious if anyone knows for sure, mind you not an educated guess, what type of paint comes on our Eagles.  I mean is it acrylic lacquer (what HD sells by the quart at the dealers), or is it a cataylized enamel or polyurethane?  Have tried asking this at more than one dealer and had my local one check into it with no real results.  I have two small touch up bottles of brush on starlight black and cobalt blue but not even sure if you can buy it in quarts.  Mainly I was curious as I have a small chip in the clear coat  and would like to touch it up.  Do not want to experiment with different types of paints , would rather have a fact to go on.  Thanks!

[smiley=beerchug.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Paint question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 04:40:50 PM »

The paint is from PPG.  Take the touch up bottle to your friendly automotive store that carries PPG paints.  They will cross the number on the bottle to the PPG formula and mix you up a batch.

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 04:46:55 PM »

If you're just wanting to touch up the clear coat, you can get a touch up bottle of that, too from your H-D dealer.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 05:35:27 PM »

All HD paint is PPG. All towns have a body shop that mixes PPG somewhere. They (or a paint store who will charge you) have the formula books. Hard to mix less than a pint and the colors have to have clear for durability. The base colors are VERY transparent. Clear has all the UV in it.  ALL of it is Urethane, It is illegal in most areas that are populated to spray lacquer. Lacquer is a thing of the past, no life span, no recent tech updates. Just a product from the past. If you saw a shop spraying lacquer anywhere it would suprise me. I work in this industry, Urethane is the top dog, Even companies like House Of Kolor are urethane now.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 10:52:28 PM »

Hello again gang,  thanks for the replies.  I was really not concerned about the brand of paint but as to what type it is.  I also know about the legalities of lacquer paints and the epa but funny that HD would sell you that type of paint if they do not use it.  I am in agreement about the qualities of lacquer as mentioned above in a post.  Could not figure out why HD would use it when todays formulations are much more uv, scratch and fade resistant.  Again I really would like a concrete answer on this from someone that is in the loop with the motor company.  No offense intended to the replies so far as this is great info!

[smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 03:53:47 PM »

In response to your comment regarding the brand of paint. You should be concerned regarding the manufacturer of the paint. There are no formulas for Lacquer from PPG and they wrote the current HD color formulas, The motor company uses Urethane base/clear PPG and nothing else. If you buy the correct color from some co other than PPG you are getting a formula "redo". This is where they take the actual PPG color and use a light method and make a formula to use there mixing colors. Works great, but not as well as the ORIGINAL formula written by the ORIGINAL paint manufacturer. Harley does not make paint, nor do they use Lacquer. Why you would even consider using or worrying about an inferior product is beyond me, and why I am taking time to respond is also beyond me. I have painted HD parts for Warranty, new bags etc. The PPG colors match, no tinting necessary, Just a very good deal. Never buy pre-mixed paint from a Bike company, Harley or whoever, Have a qualified tech at a reputable paint store or body shop, use  the correct formula and a digital scales and mix what you need and use the specified hardner, activator, clear and reducer. Then the color will last indefinitely, gas will not stain it, it won't crack etc. Now that you have every ones opinion go to your dealer, find out who does there warranty/repair refinish work and go to them for another opinion.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »

DW6019 replies on 09/25/04 at 15:53:47
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 08:07:27 PM by 103Eagle »

mfgreen

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 08:08:50 PM »

hey 103Eagle....can't get a straight answer from PPG (proprietary formulations by PPG for H-DMoCo) here as to whether or not the clear coat is the same formulation for factory production as they will formulate for you as a painter...occasionally they modify the formulae to accomodate the equipment being used for the production coating and painting processes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 09:26:07 PM by mfgreen »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 10:57:59 PM »

Do any of you know the ppg paint code for the 04 orange paint on our bike? I'm having some work done on my new lowers.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 01:33:27 PM »

Here's the data on Scooby Gold for the '03 SERK.

Basecoat:  PPG Deltron 2000 DBC902259, Acrylic Urethane w/N-Butyl Acetate reducer.

Clearcoat: PPG Concept DCU2042 Low VOC Speed Urethane Clear,

Hardener (for clearcoat only): PPG DCX61

Primer: Gray PPG DPX40

Remember this is for Centenial Gold so you might find slight differences for other models.
Hope this helps.

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Tony - www.1700cc.co.uk

• Senior CVO Member
  • WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel

• CVO1: FLHYCSE2
    • CVO2: Boss Hoss (w/ZZ430 motor)
    • My bike's website
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 04:52:55 PM »

103Eagle,

I have just given up smoking and it makes me extremely grumpy at times. The wife claims that it is my menopause.

I try hard not to be grumpy (ARE YOU DAMM WELL LISTENING, YOU LOT?).

It could be that DW6019 has all of the above.

Just another case of "must try harder"  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
BC Gerolamy modified heads
TW8 gear drive cams
Daytona TwinTec with WEGO
BC Gerolamy throttle body
Overflow air filter
Feuling Super Pump
V&H Pro Pipe
Cometic Gaskets

WOW this is quick ... it lifts the wheel when changing

telephone systems

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 10:10:13 PM »

Thanks TB but I need it for the orange.  Anybody?????
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.