Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Centerstand / Crome Display Stands  (Read 9805 times)

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
Re: Centerstand / Crome Display Stands
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »

Left
Darrell

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »

Right side
Darrell

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 04:45:23 PM »

Ok, thanks for the pics and the descriptions.  All helpful.  But now I've got what are no doubt going to seem like stupid questions to those already initiated.  

In the photo with the stand deployed the kickstand is also down.  Is is required to use both?  Preferential?  Or did it just happen to be that way for the photo?

Also, how is the stand deployed?  Do you start out on the kickstand and then reach back for center stand?  If so then what?  Wait for it's legs to drag and then just pull the bike back over it to finish standing it up?  Or is it done some other way?  

How easy is it to reach that far back with your left leg to reach the stand to fold it down?

If it does make things much more stable for the passenger to climb on (or for sex or what ever other activity one might prosecute while the stand is down) is it also more difficult to fold the stand back up with the added passenger weight?

Guess what I'm asking, basically is how and how well does it work?

Darrellh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 05:12:55 PM »

Kickstand was left down unintentionally but you start with the bike on the side stand and from the left side with your left hand on the left bar steadying the bike, you use your body weight pushing down on the foot peg of the stand while lifting up on the oh,oh - the top of the saddlebag crash bar. Glad you asked the question - I don't know how you would get it up without a combination of pushing down with your body weight while pulling up on something. On my SEEG and the Ultra before it I had the crash bars installed so it was an easy lift point. I'm not sure how you would do it without crash bars installed.

I am not sure what you mean by reaching back with your left leg.

IMO, it would be very difficult to get the bike off the center stand with a passenger onboard. Don't think it would be very safe either. With the bike on the stand you could pretty much participate in just about any activity that you and your passenger want except for popping it off the stand.

It worked very well on my Ultra but if I were purchasing one I would want an unconditional money back guarantee. There seems to be some inconsistency with the results on all types and years of H/D bikes. Some work, some don't, with no apparent explanation. All I know for sure is that it worked very well on my Ultra and didn't work at all on my SEEG.
Darrell

mfgreen

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 05:39:16 PM »

Ok, thanks for the pics and the descriptions.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 05:43:04 PM by mfgreen »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 06:18:22 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by reaching back with your left leg.

IMO, it would be very difficult to get the bike off the center stand with a passenger onboard.  Don't think it would be very safe either.

When I was asking about reaching the stand with your left leg I was making a guess from the picture that you reached that footpeg with your left foot while seated and pulled the bike forward up on the stand.  Just never saw one used before so didn't have a clue.

Confused about one thing though.  It was mentioned previously that the center stand made the bike a more stable platform for the passenger to climb on (a good thing).  But you write here that it would be very difficult if not unsafe to get the bike off the stand with the passenger mounted (a bad thing).  So does the bike only sit for photos with the passenger onboard (a boring thing)?

mfgreen

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 06:19:57 PM »

......or as AK suggested

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 09:01:49 AM »

I Installed the RIVCO centerstand yesterday and here are my impressions;  

Install is pretty easy, it's a very high quality part.  

If you don't have saddlebag guards you are probably better off not installing it, (you would have nowhere to grab to get it up on the stand). This is also made more difficult if you have the saddlebag guard bags installed as this prevents you from getting a good grip on the rail. You could get it up on the stand without the guards, but it would be tough.

If you have the progressive 440 shocks that are 12.5 inches long then this stand would probably be about perfect.  With the stock 12 inchers it's a little tough to get up on the stand. The first time I tried to get it on the stand, I thought; no way, but after a bit of practice I could do it.  I found that by rolling the back tire up on a 1 x 6 that it was pretty easy to put it on the stand. With the 1 x 6 under the rear tire there was still about 3/4" of clearance between the board and the tire, when the bike was on the stand. For this reason I think it would be about perfect for those with 12.5 inch rear shocks. Also my back tire is due for a replacement at 5500 miles, (it's down to 2/32nds), so I'm sure that this contributed to the difficulty.

I have found that if I get the bike rolling backwards and use the momentum to pop it on the stand it is much easier. I can get it on the centerstand using this method without placing a board under the rear tire if the surface is not slick, (so that the stand legs can get traction).

The bike is VERY stable on the stand and I can easily rock it off of the stand while seated on the bike. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure that it would be easy two up.

The stand looks like it belongs on the bike and is out of the way when retracted. It's still easy to back the bike up as it is far enough back not to hit you in the calf.

It is GREAT for working on the bike as you no longer have to pull out the jack to raise it level. Makes cleaning the crud off the back rim easy and I'm sure that oil changes will be easier........mobe
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 09:03:55 AM »

Pic 1
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 09:04:44 AM »

Pic 2
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 09:05:38 AM »

Pic 3
MObe

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 03:54:17 PM »

Do I understand correctly that you can not get the bike "up" on the center stand while seated on the bike? And if you don't have bag guards ( I don't and won't ) that you can't get it up while off the bike? I value the opinions of those here, but you are sure you can't hoist the bike up on the stand by Pulling on the Handlebars then I can't use one.
Thanks

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 04:43:51 PM »

If your bike is set up like mine, (stock suspension and tires), then I would have to say that it would be VERY difficult for a single person to put up on the centerstand without the use of the saddlebag guard.  BUT...... if you put a 1 x 6 or some other 1 x ... under the rear wheel first, or have a new tire and 12.5" rear shocks,  then it would be possible, perhaps even easy.
 I don't think I could put it up on the centerstand while seated on the bike.
No problem taking it down off the centerstand while on the bike though.
MObe

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 08:30:20 AM »

Mobe thanks for the insite and pics a buddy has one on an ultra and he and his wife climb aboard with it on the center stand and he give a little shove with his feet and the stand fold under and away they go.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2005, 02:13:40 AM »

Mobe,

Thanks for the info on the center stand.  I had center stands on my old '84 & '85 Honda Intercepters. They are convenient for parking on level ground. I guess when I get my SEEG I'll have to install the saddlebags bars to have something to pull the bike up on the stand with.  Looks great & thanks again for sharing.

yellowsedeuce
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.