Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Cracked Rineharts  (Read 3116 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Cracked Rineharts
« on: March 20, 2005, 06:54:01 PM »

I noticed a noise in my bike yesterday that sounded like a loose heat shield.  It was a rattling sound that got worse as the bike heated up.  The noise would change by putting pressure on the front of the left pipe.  I tightened all the exhaust heat shield and put about 200 miles on it today.  Tightening the heat shields did't help.  The longer I rode, the worse the noise got.  Toward the end of the ride it was obivious it was an exhaust leak, not a rattle.

When I got home I found the leak.  The pipe on the rear head was cracked near the foward mounting bracket (right above the transmission cover).  It's cracked bad enough that it discolored the left side of the trans cover.

Has anyone else had this problem?  What's the warranty on Rineharts?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Dirt Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
  • Keep The Shiny Side Up!
Re: Cracked Rineharts
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »

Mr. Magoo had this happen.  I know he bought his from Freedom in Reno.  They replaced (sent him a new one) free of charge.  You might contact Mr. Magoo for more info.

Also, [smiley=worthless.gif]

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 08:58:15 PM »

How many miles on the bike before the failure?  I've got Rineharts on an '04 Road King with 20,000 miles and no problems.  I just installed the Freedom version of Rineharts on the Red Guy.  I've heard Rinehart will stand behind their product.  You may want to give them a call!

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 09:15:46 PM »

How many miles on the bike before the failure?

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

lugnut

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 09:28:18 PM »

Tom remember the guy at Wheels thru Time says Mr Reinhart lives in the vally. So maybe we all will have to pay him a vist if dealer can't take care of you.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 04:25:38 PM »

Rinehart had a recall on the rear mounting bracket last year to prevent the cracking of the rear header.  As you can see in the pic, a rubber isolator avoids the vibration and slight shifting that causes the crack.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 04:27:22 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, 04hd103,
 Had the same experience at 7000 miles. [smiley=oops.gif]  I had one of my welders repair mine, as I did not want to wait to get the new one "Jet-Hot" coated, which is a procedure I highly recommend, not just for the 1 extra horsepower it produces, but for the added luxury of the coating not reflecting the blue, black, and purple high heat colors on your Primary! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  At any rate, when you reinstall, put a piece of carboard between your Primary and your header pipe before you tighten.  Then, put  rubber washers, in addition to the chrome washer, on both sides of the mounting bracket on top of the transmission.  Then snug.  DO NOT TORQUE!!  It has to have a little give, or it will fail again. [smiley=furious.gif]  These instructions came directly from Gerald Rinehart, who, incidentally, is a personal friend of mine.  Fixed.  No Worries!  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 04:42:19 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, 04hd103,

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 08:42:15 PM »

BLM,

Rinehert now makes a larger diameter baffle for large motors. That is what I have in mine currently. I believe that HUBBARD has the larger baffle too. Is that correct HUBBARD? It is 2.5 inches in diameter I believe instead of the stock 2 inch.

Regards
SHRADER
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 08:32:23 AM »

Yeap same place mine broke they over nighted the replacement and was up and running the next day.  Someone had told me this was a problem with rhineharts but haven't heard much about it.  Freedom told me that I was the first they had heard of.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 03:01:44 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,
 I can't speak intelligently about the diameter of the baffles SHRADER was referring too.  I was told there were, in fact, two different baffles for Rineharts, but the difference was in the length.  The long baffles, which I have, were more for top-end speed, and the shorter baffles were for more low-end torque.  The shorter ones were also LOUDER! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 03:27:06 PM »

Thanks, Hubbard.  I pulled mine this AM and they are 2 1/2 " and very short.  I don't know how loud, loud is, but at 5500 my ears ring and car alarms go off so I suspect these are the ones I want for the low end torque. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 04:18:19 PM »

Thanks, Hubbard.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 04:19:28 PM by HUBBARD »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 05:18:37 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 03:51:42 PM »

I also had this happen to my pipe on the rear cylinder.   I have not seen the 2" baffle they come stock now as I understand it with the 2 1/4 baffle.   I put the 2 1/2 baffles in my bike and the 2 1/4 in the 2004.   Bub replaced the pipe for me and sent me a rubber washer / ring that is a little thicker than a 50 cent piece to go between the starter mount and the pipe mount.   They also sent me a lock nut and I was told to tighten not torque.   This seems to have resolved the problem.  

Karen in the warranty dept is great to deal with when you have a problem.   Anything I have ever needed has been handled fast and with the greatest of customer service.   Hubbard if you happen to talk to Gerald anytime in the near future you might mention for me that she deserves the Kudo's.

-Unbalanced
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 05:45:18 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Unbalanced,
 It will be done! [smiley=bigok.gif]  So mote it be.  Later--HUBBARD

harpmr

• Junior CVO Member
  • 15 FLTRUSE

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »

70 miles from home yesterday and Rinehart header mount on rear cylinder cracked completely through leaving a thumb-sized hole in exhaust pipe.  Had to limp home 70 miles hoping that I wasn't damaging exhaust valves, etc.  Rinehart's have about 5,200 miles on them.  Has the new rubber mount solved this problem?  Love the pipes but don't want to worry about them cracking completely through again.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 05:25:56 PM »

70 miles from home yesterday and Rinehart header mount on rear cylinder cracked completely through leaving a thumb-sized hole in exhaust pipe.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 24 queries.