Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad stater  (Read 1561 times)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bad stater
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:32:11 PM »

Had some work done on my 04 SEEG this winter & they found the stater to be bad.Lucky it didn't go tits up longside the interstate some place.Wonder if there's a way to check it without tearing the bike apart?Bikes got about 46,000 on it.Have friends who were left beside the road because there's went bad.
          Bakrds
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Bad stater
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

About the only way to test it without taking things apart is to do a load test. Set your parameters hot-cold etc.

Put a charger on the bike (not a maintenance charger), pull the plug wires and crank the engine over while measuring the current draw. Now you'll have a base line to compare it to when the "telltale" sound that a starter going bad makes doing it's death growl.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 11:48:57 PM »

I had one go out on me at 35K, and then one year later. I know of a rider who has been through three stators. The easiet way is to check to see if your stator is fried is to smell the oil in the primary.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 09:29:12 AM »

I had one go out on me at 35K, and then one year later. I know of a rider who has been through three stators. The easiet way is to check to see if your stator is fried is to smell the oil in the primary.

To check the stator all you need is a test /ohm meter. Unplug the regulator/rectifier, set your meter to ohms. Touch the leads of the meter to the ends of the stator. Your reading should be around 2 ohms. Next take one lead of your meter and place on one end of the stator and place the other end on your engine case. It it ohm's out the stator is shorted to ground. Repeat for the other side of the stator. Next start the bike. Set your meter to AC and place both leads to the ends of the stator. You should get a reading of 19/20 volts per 1000 rpm.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:53 PM »

Duh ............. it says stator not starter
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »

Had some work done on my 04 SEEG this winter & they found the stater to be bad.Lucky it didn't go tits up longside the interstate some place.Wonder if there's a way to check it without tearing the bike apart?Bikes got about 46,000 on it.Have friends who were left beside the road because there's went bad.
          Bakrds

The shop that works on my four wheeled vehicles has a scanalizer just for electrical systems. They hook it up to the battery and it gives them readings on all of the components that make up the charging system as well as the starter. I'm wondering if the same machine exists for motorcycles OR if the automotive machine would work on motorcycles. It had settings for # of cylinders etc.

B B

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 22 queries.