Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rear clyinder quit firing  (Read 1890 times)

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
rear clyinder quit firing
« on: September 15, 2005, 06:49:19 AM »

My bike has turned into a one - lunger, I've swapped the plug wires, I've changed plugs, I've brought the coil in and had it checked, it was ok. I've installed a revtech DFO and I'm gonna take it off, even though the rear cyl. is getting gas (wet plug) also, when I take out the plug, leave it connected and lay it on the head and turn it over,,, there is no spark. Any ideas? I've got an appointment for next week. I'd like some ideas so that I may cancel it if I can fixit,,, I'm worried about it being the ECM module. Thanks in advance, Mike l

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: rear clyinder quit firing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 07:14:43 AM »

If you know someone with the right computer and software set up for HD dianostics it is easy just plug it into the ECM and read the codes. My guess is the ecm or a loose wire some where. Have you done any work to the bike lately????? If you have go back and check all the wiring and connections. I do really think it is the ECM though, if the coil is good and it is getting fuel and one cylinder is firing. Good Luck!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 07:59:30 AM »

I would also guess ECM.  BTW, you can check for codes using the diagnostic screens accessed through the radio.  The owner's manual gives some instructions on how to access the diagnostic screens; the electrical and diagnostic manual gives much better instructions and all of the codes.  Is your check engine light on?  If it is, you definitely have codes stored.  

Check all of the electrical connections to the ECM and the coils - bad connections are much more common than actual ECM failures.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:22:01 AM »

You can also find info on the error codes on the HarleyHog.uk.co web site.
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 07:14:04 PM »

Thanks!, You've given me something to check, and, I had no idea you could access codes thru the radio display. No, my check engine light is not on. The only thing "new" is the RevTech DFO and that has been on for almost three months, without a hiccup , by the way. The past week or so, when it's been cold in the morning, I've started with it running rough, but within a short time, it started firing and running normal, I just attributed it to maybe cool air and sensors maybe not providing accurate info back to the ECM. Now, it's a solid failure.  The Ecm is my guess, but, I was hoping maybe to get some insight from you guys, Thanks, for the help, I'll do some research on retrieveing the codes. This is definitely a good group of riders, much appreciated, Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:31:08 PM »

Y2K, just read through your list of things tried and the other suggestions.  Hate to even think about something even uglier but didn't see this mentioned.  Does the cylinder have compression?

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »

yes, I don't have a compression tester, but, when I was trying the plug on the head for  a spark, I was getting blasted by the air being forced from the plug hole,,, while limping home, it was running like it was fighting the non-firing cylinder, so, hopefully, it's not a blown piston... rings, or whatever,,, it ran good on the way to work, this just happened on the startup to go home after work... Thanks.

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 09:01:51 AM »

About three weeks ago we went through a very similar problem with my dad's bike, Ultra with a 1550 and 203 cams in it..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:03:08 AM by h2oski »

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 06:34:05 PM »

my bike hasn't given me a lick of trouble in 6 years, I have a 204 cam and the stock 88 inch motor. I really,really hope it's not a valve, SHUDDER!  That's gonna be expensive!, Sorry to hear that. I'm thinkin' that the ECM is starting to sound not so bad...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 11:02:31 AM »

For those who would like a copy of the EFI codes - see attachment.

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 11:29:26 AM »

GRC, have you attempted to retrieve codes out of yours yet to see if it might give you a hint?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 09:30:18 AM »

GRC, have you attempted to retrieve codes out of yours yet to see if it might give you a hint?

TwoLane - that's Y2KFLH with the issue, not me.  By the way, my engine light comes on during the startup routine as it should, but it goes out and stays out.  That's a little strange, since I just started having a misfire problem myself and it should have set codes and turned on the light.  I'm starting to wonder if the "stealth" technology in the DFO's and PC's is masking the faults from the ECM.  I've read other postings over the past few months indicating malfunctions that should have set codes but didn't.  BTW, haven't had a chance to check out my misfire, since it finally decided to rain here in Chicagoland.  Snugged up battery cables, checked ECM connections, checked plug cables, changed plugs (old ones look fine).  I'll get a chance to test it out tonight after work, since the sun finally came back out.

Jerry

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

TwoLane - that's Y2KFLH with the issue, not me.

Y2KFLH

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:50:41 AM »

Well, I found out that your plugs can go bad,,, these plugs were less than two weeks old,,, anyway, that was the fix, and, I had cleaned and swapped them. Beats the chit outa me....Thanks for all your responses. Mike

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.