Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Smell Question  (Read 2043 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Strange Smell Question
« on: June 12, 2004, 10:17:28 PM »

Yo All, First off I have not been drinking or smoking anything.........at least within the last hour!  Ok serious question now!  After taking a ride and stopping for any period of time and shutting the engine off, on restarts I notice a strange smell from my bike.  It reminds me of 90w gear lube.  I do not see any smoke from the pipe or have any leaks that I can see.  My co-pilot can smell this as well.  Curious if anyone else noticed this.  I am going to check all the fluid levels tomorrow.  I do not remember this happening before I got my 1000k check up.  Thanks in advance!
[smiley=beerchug.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
Re: Strange Smell Question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:04:17 PM »

Hello again all,  seems lot of lookers but no answers.  Anyhow checked my fluids today and funny but I think I found something.  The trans fluid appears to have a redish tint.  It smells just like the odor I smell when starting the bike when hot.  I looked at  a fresh quart of syn 3 and it was clear/carmel in color and had little or no odor.  Niether its color or odor looked like what is in my trans.  I can't say for sure but I thought BEL RAY tinted their trans fluid redish color.  I wonder if the dealer stiffed me on my 1k mile check up and did not use the syn3 in all 3 cavities.  No way to tell on the oil or primary fluid as I have 2.5k on the fluids now.  Anyone know if Bel Ray trans is redish in color?  Its very slight red to pink in my trans.
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 12:23:53 PM »

Yo All, First off I have not been drinking or smoking anything.........at least within the last hour!

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:59:12 PM »

Mine has a srange smell when it comes back fom the shop-it is because they wash it when they are through working on it and they spray sometype of cleaner on it to make the dirt come off easier.  Usually I ride it a couple of times and the smell is gone.  Kinda has kerosene smell to it.  
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 03:42:37 PM »

OK DOC it aint my shorts!  I ride in the nude and the seat is clean!  Bet thats a visual ya don't want to see  [smiley=laugh.gif]ha ha..........
Anyhow, its not a cleaner either, I do not let the dealer clean my bike after service.  Had one scratched in the past.  Besides I have put quite a few miles on her since the service and have washed it a bunch.  Really think it's  that oil in the trans but still open to ideas.  Going to change that smelly redish oil maybe this weekend.  Then we will see whats up or whats stinkin!

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 10:02:49 PM »

Follow up Report!  Talked to service department at the dealership and questioned the oil in the trans.  I was told that it was their experience that most people that tried Syn3 in the trans did not like the clunky, noisy shifting and so they use Bel Ray instead.  The Bel Ray is the typical trans viscosity (80-90) instead of the Syn3 (20-50).  As for the odor, they suggested it may have been overfilled and came out the breather, although the dipstick shows otherwise and I still have the odor and no leaks or residue from oil out the breather tube.  I was offered a quart of Syn3 at no charge and assured that the rest of my fluids were synthetic as part of my 1k check up.  I was told no harm would be the result and not to worry about it.  Sorry but I can't stand the smell and will change to Syn3 or at least Amzoil synthetic 80-90 in the trans ASAP!  Don't like the fact that the dealer assumed I wanted a non synthetic lube in my trans.  OK Later all!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 11:18:05 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I pretty much had already made up my mind to use Amszoil in the trans and engine.  Maybe stick with the syn 3 in the primary since its already embedded in the clutch plates.  I will do some research on the redline oils too.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.