Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: LED headlight  (Read 15747 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: LED headlight
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 01:29:54 AM »

Other than a lower wattage, how do you justiify LED lighting over HID for seven times the cost?   :nixweiss:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 02:07:17 AM »

Other than a lower wattage, how do you justiify LED lighting over HID for seven times the cost?   :nixweiss:

i agree

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »

I like HID, ( came with my car), my beef is that everyone I know who put them on a motorcycle seems to have a problem with them. Keep in mind I am not even talking about garage door openers ( not a big deal) I am talking about failure to ignite, if they don't work, I will pay extra for LED, (just my opinion).
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »

i have them on my zx14 and my 2012 corvette also.no problems.they have a lifetime guareenty from ddm lighting.see if harley will do that with a $600 pair of bulbs.usually 30 day garunty with electrical parts.that is a big gamble in my book.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »

Other than a lower wattage, how do you justiify LED lighting over HID for seven times the cost?   :nixweiss:

Other than the prestige/paint and chrome, how do we justify paying the cost for a Screamin Eagle over the cost of a regular Harley Davidson.
The answer is, We don't!
These are high dollar toys for those willing to pay the price of admission.
The same applies to the LED headlights.
If someone doesn't want the Harley LED headlights then by all means, buy something else or stay with stock.
Thinking that you have to justify any purchase that includes a product from Harley Davidson is funny.
JMHO

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 10:14:44 AM »

The answer is, We don't!

Thinking that you have to justify any purchase that includes a product from Harley Davidson is funny.

Kind of like having to justify trailering your bike when the the siutation SITUATION makes for a better option.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:53:25 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »

Kind of like having to justify trailering your bike when the the siutation situation makes for a better option.

There you go!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »

Other than the prestige/paint and chrome, how do we justify paying the cost for a Screamin Eagle over the cost of a regular Harley Davidson.
The answer is, We don't!
These are high dollar toys for those willing to pay the price of admission.
The same applies to the LED headlights.
If someone doesn't want the Harley LED headlights then by all means, buy something else or stay with stock.
JMHO

SBB

i am retired and i have a saying"i don"t mind paying for something, as you can see by my toys,i do not like to OVERPAY."some people LIKE to overpay so they can brag how much they paid for something,which i think is funny.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

The lower current draw/heat issue is what really makes the difference in my book.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:21 PM »

The answer is, We don't!

Kind of like having to justify trailering your bike when the the siutation situation makes for a better option.

There you go!

Darn darn darn - those internet spelling police pop up at the darnedest times (a correct euphemism for the synonym police)  :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:54:04 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »

The lower current draw/heat issue is what really makes the difference in my book.  spyder

no heat issue,or current draw period.this is fact,not a opinion or hearsay.they are on my bike.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:03:53 PM by bigmegina »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 04:48:56 PM »

no heat issue,or current draw period.this is fact,not a opinion or hearsay.they are on my bike.
That's great....I was thinking that they produced more heat and used considerably more power than LED lights.  Guess I was wrong.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 05:14:38 PM »

i am retired and i have a saying"i don"t mind paying for something, as you can see by my toys,i do not like to OVERPAY."some people LIKE to overpay so they can brag how much they paid for something,which i think is funny.

What's funny is that you agree ........... with yourself! :huepfenlol2: :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 05:17:24 PM »

Spyder,  

HID's do, of course, produce more heat and draw more current than LED's.  Not sure that makes it an "issue."  I have never heard of any problem with the heat or draw of HID lamps.  They are cooler than halogens and draw no more power.  I installed HID's on my SERG just after I bought it in October, 2008 and also had them on my 2004 Road Glide.  ($118 from Xenonlink.com)  I have the 6000 color which is, as far as I can tell, at least equal to the lighting (brightness, color, spread) of LED's. I installed LED turn signals on both bikes as well for the greater viability.  I expect I'll eventually get LED's when the price becomes reasonable.  Technology is certainly heading in that direction.  Right now, I believe the price is a rip off taking advantage of misguided, gentlemen CVO'ers from the Southern States who have recently gotten into a healthier lifestyle.  (You know who you are!)   :huepfenlol2:  

BTW, it's easy to justify the cost of a CVO.  You get a big motor, paint, chrome and features that would cost you more than if you did it yourself.  AND it is a different model worth more upon sale than if you did it yourself.  That may not be justification to all but it is to a lot of us.  Best of all, you can hang with CVOHarley!   ;D  "The same" cannot rationally be applied to these LED's.  $700!?  Just to be able to say you overspent by nearly $600?   I don't mind spending money.  I've put lots of $$ into my SERG.  But I like to think I at least got something for it.   :huepfenlol2:  

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »

All I do know (even being from the Southern part of these great United States) is that I put a better(read: 'brighter') headlight on my softtail and the damned thing gave off so much heat from drawing so much power that it melted the wiring and other parts in the 7" headlamp housing and now it's sitting safely in a cabinet in my garage taking up valuable space.  I love my LED's although I didn't love paying for them.  Same as the Legend shocks...expensive, but I am tickled I've got them.  ;D spyder
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.