Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Trailer requirements  (Read 19881 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Trailer requirements
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »

Jesse,

Everyone has good points to consider. A few things no one mentioned is your budget or how many times a year you would use it. Some of the trailers mentioned can cost  a lot more than you could ever imagine. 

Here is my Haul mark low rider 6x12. It has electric brakes and the breakaway brake system. Traded one of my Bushtec trailers for it straight up. I got the best of the deal.  Nice thing about it is if you want you can park in a garage due to the low height. You do have to remember to duck however going in or its going to hurt.

I have seen several of these go for less than 3K on eBay in the past few months.

Good luck.
Chains are you sure I'd have to duck I'm 5'6 lol.

How heavy is your trailer? I'd only use it a few times a year and yes I'm on a budget.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »

I'm going to look at Miker's Hallmark trailer this weekend. PM me your contact info and I'll send you some pics and info on it. I'll probably buy it and you can have it for what I buy it for if you are interested. If not, I will keep it.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

Some of the trailers mentioned can cost a lot more than you could ever imagine. 

That's a fact, getting one set up with all the features can get pricey with the limited trips I need to trailer. I use an enclosed 10' Hallmark cargo trailer, which I have set up for two bikes. Nothing fancy for certain, but I've pulled it with both a car and my pick-up and you hardly would know it was there. Most of my use with this trailer, none recently, wasn't motorcycle related - I bought it for traveling with my telescope systems for astro-imaging, but it's been to Sturgis twice of the four times I've been. BTW, not to enter the debate about trailers vs. riding, but Sturgis is about 45 hours drive time from my home location - no way I can take as much time as would be required to ride round trip. In a cage you can switch drivers and keep on going. Tandem vs. single axle - may not be a consideration where many live, but tolls heading west/south from my area are quite a bit more costly adding another axle.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »

That's a fact, getting one set up with all the features can get pricey with the limited trips I need to trailer. I use an enclosed 10' Hallmark cargo trailer, which I have set up for two bikes. Nothing fancy for certain, but I've pulled it with both a car and my pick-up and you hardly would know it was there. Most of my use with this trailer, none recently, wasn't motorcycle related - I bought it for traveling with my telescope systems for astro-imaging, but it's been to Sturgis twice of the four times I've been. BTW, not to enter the debate about trailers vs. riding, but Sturgis is about 45 hours drive time from my home location - no way I can take as much time as would be required to ride round trip. In a cage you can switch drivers and keep on going. Tandem vs. single axle - may not be a consideration where many live, but tolls heading west/south from my area are quite a bit more costly adding another axle.

You are correct on those tolls!!! They rip your eyes out for another axle!
They even charge an arm & leg when we pull our Bushtec trailer.

tazmun
The "TAZMUN"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »

I'm going to look at Miker's Hallmark trailer this weekend. PM me your contact info and I'll send you some pics and info on it. I'll probably buy it and you can have it for what I buy it for if you are interested. If not, I will keep it.
OK Rob info incoming.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 02:33:26 PM »

I have a 7X14 V enclosed with tandem. Just have to throw in my 2 cents: This summer I trailered back to the Midwest and first day out we got caught in 65 -70 mph cross winds. Without having the tandem my day would have been done, with it we could happily just keep trucking. Those kinds of winds pick-up enough crap that if it was open I would have been very concerned about paint on the bikes, in some areas the sand and dust was heavy enough it was tough to see the road surface. It is those kinds of days that make spending the extra $ well worth it.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »

I have a 7X14 V enclosed with tandem. Just have to throw in my 2 cents: This summer I trailered back to the Midwest and first day out we got caught in 65 -70 mph cross winds. Without having the tandem my day would have been done, with it we could happily just keep trucking. Those kinds of winds pick-up enough crap that if it was open I would have been very concerned about paint on the bikes, in some areas the sand and dust was heavy enough it was tough to see the road surface. It is those kinds of days that make spending the extra $ well worth it.

What brand of trailer?

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »

Jesse,

Mine is a Becker, custom made. I don't remember who manufactures it. I got it near La Crosse, WI at Sparta Trailers.

http://beckercustomtrailers.com/

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »

Jesse,

Mine is a Becker, custom made. I don't remember who manufactures it. I got it near La Crosse, WI at Sparta Trailers.

http://beckercustomtrailers.com/

Nice I'm about 4 hours from La Crosse, thanks.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 05:47:45 PM »

Chains are you sure I'd have to duck I'm 5'6 lol.

How heavy is your trailer? I'd only use it a few times a year and yes I'm on a budget.

Jesse

Jesse, you would only have to duck if you had on 6 inch heels. lol.  GVWR is 2900.  Not sure of trailer weight but I like the low hauler as it is about level with the cab of my F150 Platinum. Drops in mileage is negligible, about 2.5 mpg lower with trailer.  As I said I traded for it but did replace the fenders and tires.  Still way under $2,000.00 invested so I don't feel bad if I only use it now and then.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »

just throwing it out there, I just added the ability to haul bikes with our enclosed car trailer its a 26' x102" Haulmark we bought new in 08, its cost effective for us because it was already here, its a 10,000 lb GVWR trailer, of the car trailers its the low roof job my fuel mileage don't suffer much its barley any taller than the roof of our truck its 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton stock ride height. I took it to a truck scale with 4 friends on their dressers and Sue on her trike, then on the scale I set it up for 4 Harleys at once or two down the middle. I could have set it up for 5 bikes at once and still been legal weight wise. works great we took it to Maggie valley with 2 bikes and a trike. many accessories too, even brought the kitchen sink. I see a lot of used [barley used] car trailers pretty cheap, if ya got time to shop. Just another option not trying to convince anyone, works great for us, the way I see it once your pulling a trailer whats wrong with a few more feet of trailer. The toll road deal is real though.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »

Tazmun, yes I do run a diesel, 2002 ford f 350 7.3
Craig

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »

Boy, I can't believe what good gas mileage you guys all get. We pulled a 7 x 14 all aluminum V-nose from Wisconsin to Maggie Valley and back with a F-150 at the speed limits, 65/75. We averaged a little over 9.5 mpg!! We pulled 2 CVO baggers in the trailer. The Platinum has the 5.4 and without a trailer the same trip, we average a little over 17 mpg!

tazmun!
The "TAZMUN"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »

Boy, I can't believe what good gas mileage you guys all get. We pulled a 7 x 14 all aluminum V-nose from Wisconsin to Maggie Valley and back with a F-150 at the speed limits, 65/75. We averaged a little over 9.5 mpg!! We pulled 2 CVO baggers in the trailer. The Platinum has the 5.4 and without a trailer the same trip, we average a little over 17 mpg!

tazmun!
Taz I pulled a similar sized trailer, all aluminum, with 1 bagger into a headwind with my 1/2 ton Chevy 5.0 liter and got 9 mpg before. It was a v nose as well.

ultrarider123

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.