Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SkyMed....  (Read 1327 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
SkyMed....
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:16:20 AM »

Having experienced an accident 100 miles away from home and Roger's (Trapperdog) accident on Hwy. 12 in Utah (Escalante Staircase hwy 12.) made me think of something.

We all know about medivac flights.......some helicopter flies you off maybe ten miles away and it's a $15k bill because medical insurance doesn't cover the medical transportation.  SkyMed has you covered no matter who flies you in the western world (yes, even if you're visiting Europe or Australia!).  They will transport you for any medical emergency even if you're at home!  Most of those medflight companies you have to be more than 100 miles from home). 

SkyMed covers it if it's ground (ambulance), helicopter or medical jet or 1st class.  They will also pay for your wife (or the person that you name) to come and be by your bedside until they're able to transport you close to home.  They will fly you and your significant other back home as well as get your RV, car, truck or motorcycle back home for you with a legally licensed driver (or two truck).

SkyMed just takes all of those kind of problems away and nothing out of pocket from you or your family.  Something to consider if you ride, travel away from home in RV, or just in a car or truck.  It covers you when you are on a cruise.  No preclusions with this company.....check it out.

I signed up last year for Babe and I.  If you have any questions, shoot me a message.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: SkyMed....
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »

We have the $60 a month plan.

We also have friends that have needed the service.
‘She’ had an incident.
Compound fracture of the wrist (30 breaks) and a break above and below the knee.

After surgery in Mobile, AL, Skymed flew a nurse to Mobile the night before then flew both to New Jersey. “He” took the RV home but Skymed did offer.

Once the process started it was smooth.
Wasn’t a 1st class flight though.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »

So it’s an insurance plan?

A rider goes down, they are airlifted out to a hospital. You submit paperwork or make a call and they handle the rest? All for $60 a month?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

It’s a service contract.

Our friend made the call, they Skymed handled the rest.
Would have been door to door service but they arranged their own transport from AC airport.

MV 2013

mark

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »

How does SkyMed work in this scenario - I'm involved in a bike accident and seriously hurt.  How does the responding Emergency Medical Technicians and/or police know I have SkyMed?  If I'm incapacitated, how would they know?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »

If you are involved in an accident and are incapacitated you will be treated and transported as decided by on scene emergency responders.

Skymed is not meant to take the place EMS/ALS

Getting you home after the fact.

MV 2013

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 05:50:11 PM »

So it’s an insurance plan?

A rider goes down, they are airlifted out to a hospital. You submit paperwork or make a call and they handle the rest? All for $60 a month?

You (or your wife, if you're incapacitated) calls SkyMed and they take care of the rest.  We have the family plan and I signed up for 5 years and paid for it all at once.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »

How does SkyMed work in this scenario - I'm involved in a bike accident and seriously hurt.  How does the responding Emergency Medical Technicians and/or police know I have SkyMed?  If I'm incapacitated, how would they know?

They probably will not know (but I keep my card in my wallet right behind my license).  But that doesn't matter.....SkyMed pays for any medivac flight company.  If you need to be flown in a medical jet to a special hospital or to get you home (think full body cast, still on IV, etc.) they cover all the costs and if you're wife needs to go back home early......she flies first class.  They will fly anybody that you name (one person, not multiple) to you and then back home when it's time.  They will get your motorcycle, RV, car or truck home for you.  Basically, it takes care of all of those side issues when there's an emergency.

And it doesn't have to be an accident.  The agent told us that he thought he was having a heart attack at home (most of those medivac companies you have to be more than 100 miles from home).......they covered his ambulance bill.  It's transportation for any medical emergency.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 06:03:57 PM »

Just noticed that Duane explained it above, from a first responder's perspective.

We learned about it at one of the Grand Design Rallies a couple of years ago.  Since then, Babe has become a SkyMed Rep. and can answer all of your questions if you shoot me a message with your contact info.   Having said that, I'm not here to beat the pavement for her. 

While they target the RV owners, especially full timers, pretty hard.....I've often thought that they should be targeting the motorcycle community just as hard......especially those of us that ride long distances.  Roger's recent accident is an example where SkyMed would have paid off big time.  He was medivaced out of there and then Melanie had to fly out there.  The minimum medivac flight (just a couple of miles away) is over $15k and medical insurance does not cover that.  So I believe everybody that rides should have SkyMed no matter who you go through!

West Coast GTG   

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:33:27 PM »

Along the bike thing, anytime I rode in limited cell phone access areas I carried a SPOT Trace, and I let the cookie trail website be active for my wife to follow along from home.

Also acted like a poor mans lojack

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 09:55:29 PM »

Back when I was still leaving the friendly confines of the US more regularly I subscribed to a service that did medical transport both domestically and internationally (to get you home) and would evac internationally should things go politically or otherwise sideways if you happened to be someplace where sideways could happen.  Since don't make any of those trips anymore have used a domestic airmed only service from the same company.  Called MedJet if I remember correctly.  Fortunately never needed their services but their domestic and international service was chosen because it was recommended by people I knew who needed such services far more than I might.  Haven't paid the bill for awhile as I do it on a five year subscription but pretty sure the five year plan's five year bill was about $1200.  It has limits of 90 days of services used within that five years.  Likely never need it here at home.  But cheap enough to do and if one ever does it's nearly as cost effective as a Service Contract on a modern Harley.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »

But cheap enough to do and if one ever does it's nearly as cost effective as a Service Contract on a modern Harley.

Well that puts it into a whole new perspective  :drink:

MV 2013

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.