Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: xm radio has no volume  (Read 7888 times)

daereal

xm radio has no volume
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »

I just bought a 2012 CVO, the previous owner kept the Garmin GPS,  I have FM radio volume and iPod plug in volume.  but the subscribed xm is getting signal and reception but not putting volume out the speakers.  Am I missing something here?  Is the GPS that was installed messing up the xm radio?  I can;t figure out why there is not volume on the xm radio selection?

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
Re: xm radio has no volume
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 06:00:07 AM »

That should of had nothing to do with the XM audio
Did the previous owner have the NIM installed?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »

Are you speaking of the XM module on the bike or did you install a Road Tech 665 and you are talking about the XM radio which is part of the GPS?

If you are talking about the XM radio which is part of the Road Tech 665 then you need to route the audio output from the GPS to the auxiliary input on the front of the radio. The radio must be in the AUX mode to hear.

jim@hdbomm.com
Ride It Like You Are Retired

daereal

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

The Bike came with the Garman 665  NIM, the original owner kept the unit but and the harness ( holder)  is still installed on the bike,  the xm is part of the Harmon Karmon on the bike  ( all stock cvl 2012) so when I select xm radio on the stereo it should come through the speakers but there is no sound?  fm radio, am radio etc works and sound is coming out?  it's strange?  so not sure if the GPS unit needs to be put in the holster? but I can;t imagine that?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

XM radio is not part of the radio it is a separate box inside the cowling. Maybe it is disconnected. When you select XM adjust the volume level up using the volume control, maybe it is turned down. Just thinking here.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »

The Bike came with the Garman 665  NIM, the original owner kept the unit but and the harness ( holder)  is still installed on the bike,  the xm is part of the Harmon Karmon on the bike  ( all stock cvl 2012) so when I select xm radio on the stereo it should come through the speakers but there is no sound?  fm radio, am radio etc works and sound is coming out?  it's strange?  so not sure if the GPS unit needs to be put in the holster? but I can;t imagine that?
Have you opened the fairing to confirm the XM module is still there/hooked up? Since you mention the previous owner had and kept the 665 (which has XM capabilities) could be possible that he disconnected/sold the HK XM module. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

daereal

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:29 PM »

Ok thank ya,  I'm off to the shop with a bud light to get into the faring,  I was hoping it was just a setting or a flick of a switch but I'll go get into the faring and see what's up.  I can't imagine someone would take out the xm box,  I hope not but I'll update once I find out..

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »

If there is not an XM module attached, you would not have XM as a selection on the radio, therefore the module is there.  Your problem is not a missing XM module.

daereal

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »

15 Bud Lights later, fairing is off and...  all is there, xm aux modal box, antennta etc.  i unplugged the xm modal box and the xm selection on the Haran karman went off,  Plugged back in and sure enough  xm selection came back on..   i called xm satellite to ask if there was any security issue on my new subscription or on the stereo and they said nope... They then sent another signal down to the radio to be sure..  I am getting channels and  all options for stations but no sound..  sat signal bars of full reception ( 3 )  So the douche bag also kept the i pod that came with it and the stereo plays my i phone 4 tunes but won;t recognize the i pad for channel selection etc..  It's gotta be the gps but I can;t imagine that just hooking up the factory gps unit to the holster would make the xm radio section work to play over the speakers...  the fm, am works,  aux in works on the i phone, the ipod selectoin works ( sort of ) but plays,,  haven;t even tried the cb option ,,no patience for that, not sure if he took the cb stuff and kept it??  but,,,, any idea's from here?   i'm trying?? tell me it's a mute button or something???

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

I don't think it has any bearing on it, but I would try the speaker control switch next to the ignition switch.  Try all 3 positions.  Having the GPS mounted has nothing to do with it.  When you had them send a signal for the XM, did you have your bike out in an open area for a while at the time.  I remember back when I subscribed to XM, they told me that even if it looked like I was getting the signal coming in, leave the bike sit for whatever the amount of time was that they told me, or it wouldn't function correctly.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »

Even if your XM is not activated you will get channel one--the preview channel....It's basically an advertisement for XM. I just went through that when I reactivated my subscription. I had to call and get an activation signal sent out, but I had audio and the display showed XM's phone number to call to re-activate. If you are getting nothing at all, the module could be bad, possibly wiring or something inside of the radio.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »

If you can hear the radio then you should be able to hear the XM radio if it is good.

You have a 665 which has XM, why not just connect the 665 and switch the XM subscription to the 665.

Jim

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »

If you can hear the radio then you should be able to hear the XM radio if it is good.

You have a 665 which has XM, why not just connect the 665 and switch the XM subscription to the 665.

Jim

I think his first post said that the previous owner had the 665

daereal

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:56:11 PM »

HI guy's   so I tried the switch many times and tried again, not the speaker switch.. The GPS, I think it is the 665 NIM,  it is factory installed from harley for 2012 ( so what ever that is and what the bike came with from Harley) I know I sound like a idiot but there is no model number or name on the holster, just a harley symbol on it,  and i don;t have the gps unit to see verify the model number.  So did the gps from factory come with a xm radio option built in the gps??  if so that may be the problem?  But xm  still shows up on the display and disappears when I disconnect the wiring harness on the H.. K  radio.. I mentioned yesterday that i can go to channel one and get the display and sat radio id info.. also i am getting 3 bars signal and reception.. and I'm getting the channel line up and all channels are there showing a successful subscription.. Also I called yesterday as I said and got another hit from xm to refresh..  and i asked if security was needed from the previous owner and xm  said no and sent the other signal.. So ya think the xm modual is bad?  It's looking like a trip to the dealer is coming up on this one....

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »

Are you taking the bike outside in an open space to try this?  One of the things I didn't like about XM was that every time I rode by little hillsides, I would lose my music (okay, not every time, but it happened way too often).  As I mentioned before, when I subscribed, they had me take the bike outside into an open, unobstructed area and had me leave it on for something like 20 minutes when they sent the signal, before trying to use the XM. 

Anyway, if it's not working, why don't you take it to the dealer.  The bike is still under the factory 2 year warranty isn't it?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »

The bike comes with a Road Teck 660, which does not have XM radio.

Like the man says take it back to the dealer.

daereal

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »

yes he did

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Sounds like you either have a bad XM module or there is a loose connection.  The pins on the connector can sometimes get pushed back in the holder. 

Having the GPS in the cradle has nothing to do with the performance of any of the stereo components output.  If there is a Roadtech 665 in the cradle with the XM antenna that comes with the 665 hooked up, the ONLY way to hear the XM output from the 665 is through the AUX input on the HK radio with a stereo patch cable hooked up.  If the system is saying XM is available (it gives you the choice of selection when scrolling through the mode selections), it should play.

Keep in mind that if/when you buy either a 660 or 665 replacement you MUST buy the HD version and NOT the Garmin version IF you want the NIM to send the audio output directions through the stereo speakers or to your headset(s).  There should have been two HD Boom Headsets included with the bike as well, unless the guy kept those too.  Personally, I think it was pretty chitty of the guy to keep the Ipod AND the GPS since the bike comes with those things (the GPS would normally be the 660).  I just sold my bike and gave the buyer ALL things that came with the bike, plus all the take off parts that I had changed to better stuff.

In any event, I'd take it to the dealer unless you find a loose connection.  Let them deal with it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

daereal

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »

the warranty is my real problem,  USA Bike, Importated to Ontario,  the dealers won't do any warrantly on Bikes bought in usa and registered in Canada so I've been beating this to death trying to get this fix,,  off to the dealer with my visa I go

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 03:34:50 PM »

the warranty is my real problem,  USA Bike, Importated to Ontario,  the dealers won't do any warrantly on Bikes bought in usa and registered in Canada so I've been beating this to death trying to get this fix,,  off to the dealer with my visa I go
Why not ride south... south of the border. Isn't your warranty still good in the USA? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »

It sure sounds like you have a bad XM module.  The GPS or NIM should have nothing to do with the problem.  The bad module, if that is what it is, would be under warranty.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

daereal

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 06:34:02 AM »

thanks for all your help, I didn't realize Harley had the two year warranty  :-\.  I thought I only had a standard One year.  I'm to used to sleds and the snow I guess.
I'm going to New York New York,  ha, thanx again I love this site

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 06:58:47 AM »

You may want to call around first to make sure that whatever dealer you go to actually has an XM module in stock.  Otherwise, you could find yourself making 2 trips.  If they are replacing it under warranty, they will likely have to do the installation for you also.  It's rare to never that they would ever just send you or even hand you a replacement part for you to put on yourself.  It's an expensive item to keep in inventory, over $500 retail, so I assume for a lot of dealers this is an order only item.

santosrph

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2024, 06:17:57 PM »

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem.  Setup fine, good reaction on Xmas, no sound to speakers.   Did you ever determine the cause and fix?
Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 22 queries.