Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: From Sturgis and the Black Hills....across the country and back....  (Read 16487 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: From Sturgis and the Black Hills....across the country and back....
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »

you could use a zoom on that camera.       billy

I had that baby zoomed for all it was worth!!!!  I didn't have my long lens with me.     Those store boughts must have been new because that girl was really struttin her stuff when they got the boat up to the shore.   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2018, 12:01:27 PM »

We've had a great time here in the southeast.  I'm going to get busy posting more pics for all of you.  And for those that have never made it out here, hopefully these photos will help motivate you to make it happen before it's too late....

Here's a couple links to individual ride reports in this journey.  First, we left our RV in Central Florida (up near Daytona) and rode down to Key West.....   

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114989.0

and this thread is for Daytona Bike Week....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114990.0

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »

We were supposed to roll up to St. Augustine, Fl for a week.  Billed as the oldest city in America however, native Americans might not agree with that.  News flash of a lighting storm with baseball size hail was projected for the day after we were supposed to arrive.  Being in an RV, ya just don't want to question that kind of warning so we rolled north to the home of our friend Jock.  Most of you don't know, but Jock and I have rode in many states across this country together, as far west as California and as far east as Florida and many states in between.....memories.

There is a lot to see in and around Savannah and we were not disappointed.  One of our first stops was the Wormsloe Plantation where the remains of the oldest structure in Georgia is....

and our tour guide.  I didn't know it was period costume so I had to ask why he was dressed like that and why is he barefoot....several people told me quietly "I'm sure glad you asked cuz we were wondering".  LOL  He was very well informed and provided a lot of information.

The Babe....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

Then we rolled out to Ft. Pulaski, built just before the civil war and the first place that the union soldiers tested rifled canons successfully. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:53:32 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »

and we did roll out to Tybee Island aka Savannah beach....

We drove over to Hilton Head Island, SC and spent a night in a hotel there.  I was there several times back in the early 70s when I was in the Marines and stationed in Beaufort however, Babe had never been so it was her treat....

They even have a freeway to the beach for bicyclists....    :P

Note the bronze statue of the naked lady laying in the fetal position in the water....

Time to roll on to our next destination.  We moved on up to Charleston, SC for a week.  Another beautiful city with a lot of history.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »

We had a great time in Savannah, Ga. and Hilton Head, SC but it was time for us to roll on up to our next destination, Charleston, SC.  As we left Jock and Janet in Savannah, Jock mentioned to me to be sure to visit Boone Hall Plantation.  With a recommendation from the master.....how could we not?

You really get kind of good at riding in the sand in the south.  At the RV park in Umatilla, Fl. I overheard a lady at the dog park saying "if it was a dirt road it wasn't in Florida.......Florida doesn't have any dirt, it's all sand!".  While I found that to be true, I do believe that sand stretches as far north, near the coast, as Charleston, SC.  Anytime you get off of the pavement you're in sand.

This plantation is the oldest, continuous operating plantation in North America.  It's over 200 yrs. old and still operating and yes.......the driveway is still sand!

It is a very long lane to the plantation home.....I would have liked to have been here when the trees were in full bloom but they told me I'm about three weeks to early.

Finally, I can see what I think is the house.....

and a look back out the gates and back down the entry drive towards the street.....

The first crops grown on a couple thousand acres was indigo.  Indigo is used as a dye and sold solely to Britain's textile industry up until the American Revolution.  Once the war was over, Britain would no longer buy indigo from America and so they had to change their crops quickly to cotton, corn and a few other crops, as well as brick making.  At one time this plantation had one of the larges brick making operations in America and this is where many of the bricks that built Charleston after the big fire burned all of the wood buildings downtown.  They also had one of the larges and most modern gin mills in the nation.  Gin mill is simply short for engine mill.....after it became automated to make yarn and thread out of cotton.

Here is what's left of that first gin mill.....

The slave quarters are still standing.  The brick quarters were for the "house slaves".  They cleaned or cooked or watched the little children of the plantation owner's family, etc.  The field slaves were housed in wood quarters that are no longer standing...

Each of the quarters housed up to 15 slaves...sometimes extended families and sometimes no relations at all, in the same house.....   

Here we have the plantation home and gardens....

This lady is a descendant of slaves from this plantation and today she and her family weaves sea grass baskets, matts, etc. to sell to the tourists at the plantation, much as her great, great grandmother did long ago.  Very talented, for sure!

The plantation company store.  When slavery was abolished many of the slaves stayed on, doing the same thing and getting pay chits that they could spend in the plantation store.  By the time they paid for their housing, food, etc. there really wasn't much left for them to spend in the store.

A tractor pulls a couple of wagons around the 200 acres left of this plantation.  Most of the crops are gone....still a few of what once was the largest pecan grove in the country.  They now grown strawberries, boysenberries, corn, peaches, etc.

Time to roll......but I have to stop and get "that" pic of my orange and black!

We had a good time exploring the historic district in downtown Charleston however, I forgot my Nikon.  All the photos I took with my cell phone got posted on facebook but I don't have any to post here.  I will say that we've enjoyed everything in the south from Florida to Savannah to Charleston.....where we finally met MikeyT and his wife.  We moved on from Charleston to Maggie Valley where we spent a week riding all over the Smokey Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway.  I'll be posting some of those pics later...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2018, 11:20:36 PM »

We rolled in to Stonebridge RV Resort in Maggie Valley, NC for our next stop in our journey.  Looking forward to riding the Smokey Mountains National Park, The Blueridge Parkway and the Appalachian Mountains....as well as another visit through The Wheels Through Time Museum.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »

Stonebridge RV Resort is my kind of RV park.  I reserved a premium creekside space and as luck would have it, we got a space on the end, next to their park.  Quiet and peaceful.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2018, 11:22:11 PM »

This RV park has the largest "park" or green space of any RV park that we've been in across this nation.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2018, 11:23:03 PM »

This gentleman is from Nova Scotia, Canada.  I will not comment on the fact that he forgot to cover his bike and sidecar (and there was frost on the pumkin this morning)...as I've don that a time or two, myself.

And his friend from Montreal, Quebec, coincidentally, has a CVO Ultra Classic identical to mine.  The first time I've saw that in person!  They spend six months, every winter in this area and then go home for the summer.  Babe and I have met more Canadians this winter than we've both met in our life.  Canada must be deserted in the winter. 

Babe and I went to dinner with Chip and Nancy on that Friday evening but I forgot to get the group pic so you'll just have to take my word for it.  :P  The next day we all went for a ride to Cherokee, Gatlinburg and then looped on back around to Maggie Valley

Here's Chip & Nancy on their Road Glide....

A horseback party crossing the river....

Here we are at the North Carolina/Tennessee state line....

There was a lot of people out riding.  We stopped at the Harley t-shirt shop in Cherokee and ran into a lady and her husband and their krew that I'd met at a stop light in Daytona Beach several weeks earlier.  She was on her husband's CVO when I pulled up next to her at a stop light so I gave her a business card for this forum.  She reminded me of it when we run in to them in Cherokee.

and we arrive in Gatlinburg, Tenn.

West Coast GTG   

bigsixman

• Full CVO Member
  • 2003 CVO Deuce FXSTDSE
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »

Looks like you are having a good time on your trip.

Please keep posting your photos because they sure give us a good picture of your travels.
2003 fxstdse CVO Deuce, 3,700 miles
2007 fxstd Deuce, 18,500 miles
2017 flhx Street Glide, 6,700 miles
Four 60s & 70s Japanese bikes

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »

Next, we moved on to Chattanooga.

First stop was the Incline Railway....to the top of Lookout Mountain.

Boarding at the bottom.....

You ride to the top facing backwards or downhill....so we got the very front seat to get the best shots....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:23 PM »

Billed as the World's Steepest Incline Railway......I believe it.

In this pic you can see the steep angle that the car is actually built at.  The front seat is far below the back seat.  And, you can look through the vista dome roof and see the landscape below, at the bottom of the mountain.  NOTE:  I sit my Nikon on the floor beside my seat at the back of the train to get this shot on our way down.

To demonstrate the steep grade, looking out the front window of the car we see an overpass that traffic uses to climb to the top of Lookout Mountain and we actually drop low enough that we go under that overpass....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2018, 11:13:25 PM »

Next stop....for those that have been here before, will recognize the Rock City Gnomes...

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 25 queries.