Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 issues need advice  (Read 2112 times)

Jjdafisher

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

2 issues need advice
« on: June 21, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »

ok I have had this bike for about a month and thought I got a great bike as this one has sat in this guys garage way more then it was ridden.... 5k miles on an 07 CVO springer!
anyways 2 issues I have at the moment and need fixing is a leaky petcock after long rides when I stop after a while fuel starts to leak/drip out of the petcock... I am thinking dried O ring or something along those lines but I did also notice that this is a plastic part so I am guess some sort of throw away part and swap out with a new one... hopefully metal... any part numbers or tips/tricks/recommendations on a fix is greatly appreciated as this issue is one that I would like to fix very soon....!

the 2nd issue I have now noticed is that I have a leaky primary cover.... enough as that there is a line on my garage floor after every long ride I take.... so my guess here is perhaps a dried out gasket? or perhaps it just needs to be tightened? can someone give me the specs on how tight those bolts should be? I am thinking it has to be cold when I tighten those bolts but I do think the leaks happen everything heats up and the metal expands.... any part numbers or tips/tricks/recommendations on a fix for this oil leak issue... I have had Harleys in the past that leaked oil and I lived with it I just wasn't thinking I was going to have to deal with leaks on this bike being as it only has 5k miles and is of newer stock....

thank you in advance for your comments and help.

Jay

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2 issues need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »

Your bike is fuel injected and doesn't have a petcock.  Instead it's got a quick coupler that the pressurized line connects to.  There is an o-ring inside the coupler that is serviceable.  Part number is 11323A.  It's a little tedious to change them but it is something most anyone could do.

Is the primary leak the primary housing outer to inner or the derby cover sealing to the primary cover?  Whichever do the obvious.  Try snugging it up first.  If that doesn't prove to be a panacea then replace gaskets.

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:00:36 PM »

Your bike is fuel injected and doesn't have a petcock.  Instead it's got a quick coupler that the pressurized line connects to.  There is an o-ring inside the coupler that is serviceable.  Part number is 11323A.  It's a little tedious to change them but it is something most anyone could do.

Is the primary leak the primary housing outer to inner or the derby cover sealing to the primary cover?  Whichever do the obvious.  Try snugging it up first.  If that doesn't prove to be a panacea then replace gaskets.

No Don, it's a Harley.  I believe Panacea is won-dem eye-tallion modersickles....... :huepfenlol2:  (yes, I know what he means guys....just throwing some humor in the mix)

Just to throw this out there, there were some issues with the shift shaft seals (say that fast three times...) for a few years, too.  Mine leaked and was changed under warranty on my 09 (my SG and my wifes Dyna Low rider) and my '12.  My buddies '12 CVO RG also leaked and was replaced under warranty.  This can give the impression of a leaking gasket.  So, if tightening the gasket doesn't work as twolane describes and you replace the gasket to find it still leaking, this can be something to check next.

Good luck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:03:22 PM by Haird »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »

shiftshaftseal, shiftshatseal, chitshaftsheal      :drummer:

Jjdafisher

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »

thank u guys
have youtubed the quick release fuel coupler and will look at getting a rebuild kit to change the o rings for sure. also onto the leak and will trace it back to the culprit... its just upsetting I guess... you would hope for the best with the newer bikes but I guess the issues from the past just don't correct themselves... I had been off of an HD for a while.... and riding other makes.... I know it sucked but that's what happens when u need to pay for the lawyers.... divorce... so all well worth it but when I stepped up and got this bike I was hoping for the best... I am sure and hoping that once I work these issues out I should have years of trouble free riding. Thanks again for the input and help.
Jay

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »

you can't blame poor qa/qc on harley for the issues that you are having.  a bike sitting stationary for so long is bound to have issues.  the good thing is shouldn't take much to get them ironed out.

you did change tires didn't you?  i wouldn't want to be riding on rubber that old.

here is a couple of good resources for you:  oem parts fiche  https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm

harley service information portal:  https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/user/loginForm  register as an 'independent operator' for free access to owners manuals, parts diagrams, wiring diagrams...  it is subscription based for the eu market, if you aren't in eu, no sub.  but good, free info.

and congrats on the purchase.  one of my favorite bikes.  would love to have one in the garage.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.