Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lowering bike  (Read 835 times)

Ian

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Lowering bike
« on: May 01, 2019, 08:27:19 AM »

Have an 06 Electra glide cvo.was wondering the best way to lower it a little bit.an inch or 2

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Lowering bike
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »

Check and see what shocks are on it if they are 13" replace with 12" shocks or use 1" lowering blocks. Also a seat swap or have the current seat narrowed in the front by the tank will help you get your feet flatter on the ground if that is your goal.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 09:00:32 AM »

The 2006 FLHTCUSE came with the standard (not lowered) suspension, front and rear.  Assuming yours hasn't been modified previously, you can safely lower it front and rear by one inch.  If you do so, I'd suggest researching some much better shocks than what Harley offered because running shorter shocks will affect ride quality significantly.  Btw, the 2005 CVO came lowered both front and rear from the factory.  It took some time to get used to the reduced ground clearance and lean angle, but once you do so it should be fine.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »

2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »

Against all those who replied that nothing good would come of it, I lowered my 2006 FLHTCUSE one inch front and rear. Front was done at the dealer and rear I did with shorter shocks.
Nothing bad ever happened in the 56k miles I rode it, just didn't ride it like a Hayabusa. I even had floorboard spacers on it, lowering my lean angle even more, still safe if you ride
correctly.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:35:04 PM »

My 04 SEEG came from the factory lowered but the person I bought it from lowered it an additional inch (maybe even 2”) If I had my drathers I’d probably prefer it back at factory height just because of dragging the bottom of the frame occasionally when going into parking lots where there is a gutter between the street and lot and I have to pull it up on 1” boards to get my lift under it.  It doesn’t bother me enough to tear the forks apart to raise it back up.  I also have footboard extensions but have never dragged them...likely due to my old-man riding style.  I said all that to say this: I wouldn’t hesitate to drop it an inch but I probably wouldn’t go any lower than that.

Well, I didn’t even address the OP’s question...lowering blocks in the rear is the most economical method unless you can find some street glide take-off shocks for a good price.  If I had to choose between the 2 I’d go with SG shocks.  The blocks work ok but they change the angle of the shock which may affect your ride quality.  As far as the front...only way is to go into the forks and there are tons of options from the aftermarket but H-D makes a kit as well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:45:26 PM by SIKBIRD »

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 24 queries.