Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Questions for those that already have the Traxxion AK’s and-or the Bitubo's  (Read 11936 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II

UPS was here 20 minutes ago
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:34:10 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: This can only mean one thing .................
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:33:04 PM »

Unicycle?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

............... that this thread belongs in Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

If you saw in the other post you already know I pulled my forks out, boxed them up and they are on their way to Georgia.
I was all set to just have the “CVO SEEG” ride height built into the forks and use the 300 mm shocks.
When talking to Dan (Traxxion) we came up with installing the normal EG ride height in the forks and using the 330 mm shocks.
I am not sure and looking for opinions.

I am 5’9, about 165. Figure with some stuff in the bags and dressed for riding I’m figuring about 200 pounds.
Most of the time I ride without the Tourpak and solo.
When my wife joins we add her weight and the Tourpak.
With the 12” Progressives I have bottomed out on occasion, but I think the rebound bump is more annoying.

Ground clearance on turns never seemed to be a big deal, and my floorboard arms are already scraped up a bit, so no advantage there.
Do I stick with the 05 SEEG lowered ride height? Raise it to the normal Height?
I can plant my feet square on the ground and I like that, even with the Corbin seat (which has an extra 1” of foam installed.
Looking for the opinions of those that have done this already.

The forks will not be there until late Thursday, so I have a couple of days to decide. Although the shocks could be an issue.

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »

............... that this thread belongs in Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

I have a thread about the actual job there.

This was meant for a little "hey "look what I did"

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21937.msg352219#msg352219

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:31:55 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

The major benefit to the std height is lean angle. If you're not looking to increase available lean angle and you're concerned about planting your feet on the ground, then sticking with a lowered stance makes sense. On the other hand, there is that thing about increasing the lean angle.

:indian_chief:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:50:38 PM »

UPS was here 20 minutes ago

Duane,

How well do those spots work at those funky angles? :nixweiss:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

The major benefit to the std height is lean angle. If you're not looking to increase available lean angle and you're concerned about planting your feet on the ground, then sticking with a lowered stance makes sense. On the other hand, there is that thing about increasing the lean angle.

Dan mentioned suspension travel being the more realistic benefit. Just curious as to how much 1 inch of height  - travel will really make.
I know I have bottomed out the bike with both the chit stock air shocks and have had a few good jounces with the Progressives. So if a rider bottomed out with the 12" progressives are the chances of bottoming out the same with the 300 mm Bitubo's?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:52:50 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

Duane,

How well do those spots work at those funky angles? :nixweiss:

Much better after I took the socks off  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Another thing I noticed with the forks out, I could push down on the tube about 2" and had no rebound damping.

I am looking forward to all the benefits everyone has been touting.

MV 2013

REGGAB

Dan mentioned suspension travel being the more realistic benefit. Just curious as to how much 1 inch of height  - travel will really make.
I know I have bottomed out the bike with both the chit stock air shocks and have had a few good jounces with the Progressives. So if a rider bottomed out with the 12" progressives are the chances of bottoming out the same with the 300 mm Bitubo's?

Duane,
Have you ever scraped floorboards.........solo and/or 2up?  If so, and you wish to prevent it.......to an extent, go with standard height. 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Two areas of improvement with the Bitubos over the Progressives. One, you can adjust the compression damping to do a better job of soaking up the bumps. Two, the bump stop is a lot softer, so when you do bottom out, it's not nearly as hard as with the Progressives.

The Progressives only have spring preload to adjust ride height so you kind of are stuck with how they perform, and that bump stop is too hard.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

Duane, I'm 5-9 too, and even with the Corbin seat, my feet are flat on the ground. I would go for a full height fork and the 330's. Better handling capabilities. You're going for a great suspension. Might as well be able to enjoy it without scraping chit much! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing

Bitubos ain't worth a chit if you have them adjusted for one up, no TP, and add a passenger, TP, luggage etc and ride all the way from Kentuckly to CHL. Don't ask me how I know this. I rode on the bottom the whole way.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange

I ride 2 up quite a bit on both my SEEG's.  Figure the 2 of us are about 330 (most of it me  :D) and I have the shorter bitubos.  Very rarely do I bottom out, I do scrape the boards a bit, and both my wife and I love the ride quality.  I'd keep it lowered.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Bitubos ain't worth a chit if you have them adjusted for one up, no TP, and add a passenger, TP, luggage etc and ride all the way from Kentuckly to CHL. Don't ask me how I know this. I rode on the bottom the whole way.

You won't ever leave home without your special wrench again, will you?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

You won't ever leave home without your special wrench again, will you?

Nevah

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

Carry the spanner wrench with you. ::)

It takes a few minutes to crank em up. But you rode hundreds of miles bottomed out! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ::) :P ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

So how do you add a poll to a thread "after" the fact?

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Duane,
Have you ever scraped floorboards.........solo and/or 2up?  If so, and you wish to prevent it.......to an extent, go with standard height. 

Henry - Yes I have, but that may have more to do with extending my floorboards. My right floorboard has a 2" extension on it.

MV 2013

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

So how do you add a poll to a thread "after" the fact?

Your first post should have an "ADD POLL" button.

Hoist! 8)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Two areas of improvement with the Bitubos over the Progressives. One, you can adjust the compression damping to do a better job of soaking up the bumps. Two, the bump stop is a lot softer, so when you do bottom out, it's not nearly as hard as with the Progressives.

The Progressives only have spring preload to adjust ride height so you kind of are stuck with how they perform, and that bump stop is too hard.

Even without doing the front end this was a goal, because of the 3 adjustments. And you're not kidding about the bump stop.

MV 2013

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

Henry - Yes I have, but that may have more to do with extending my floorboards. My right floorboard has a 2" extension on it.

I have the extensions too, standard height, and don't scrape

much! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Bitubos ain't worth a chit if you have them adjusted for one up, no TP, and add a passenger, TP, luggage etc and ride all the way from Kentucky to CHL. Don't ask me how I know this. I rode on the bottom the whole way.

And you didn't stop why?
Just goes to show Ken, maybe you shouldn't have that high tech VRSCE, better let me know when to come down and take it off your hands.

MV 2013

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Duane,

We're not telling you anything you don't already know. Ride height affects lean angle and your ability to reach the ground. I think the rest is up to you. I want the lean angle and at 6'4", I don't have to worry about reaching the ground. It's a no-brainer for me.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

I stopped, but couldn't find anything to adjust the shocks with. Left the spanner wrench at home. NEVER again.

REGGAB

much! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)

My right FB is extended ~one inch.  I haven't scraped since I've had my AK-20s and Bitubos.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Your first post should have an "ADD POLL" button.

Not that I can see.

Thanks Chief
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:29:46 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

BigR55

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »

I would tell that UPS man to stay away!  :pepper:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Not that I can see.

It's at the bottom, not the top. It's in the dark blue buttons to the bottom right of the last post in the thread.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member

I stopped, but couldn't find anything to adjust the shocks with. Left the spanner wrench at home. NEVER again.

Sorry I didin't get a picture of that :o

(all that meat on that little frame better check for frame cracks)  ;D

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

We're not telling you anything you don't already know. Ride height affects lean angle and your ability to reach the ground. I think the rest is up to you. I want the lean angle and at 6'4", I don't have to worry about reaching the ground. It's a no-brainer for me.

Vertically challenged definitely is not a concern for you Chuck. I think If I was the same height I would be adding the height anyway.

I am more curious as to whether the "straight line bump ride" has much of a difference between stock and lowered heights.

I think if I lived where some of you live I would absolutely "lean" towards the extra height. Up here in Jersey though the twisites we have are just not the same.

Going with the 12" progressives was much easier, if I changed my mind I'm sure I could have sold them and bought the 13" shocks without breaking the bank.

This is just a bit more of an investment.

Now, If I decide to change out to 18" wheels down the road ................................

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Mine are pretty long on the right side, a full two inches. I did that because I added the teardrop air cleaner cover, which sticks out an inch more then normal.

MV 2013

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Sorry I didin't get a picture of that :o

(all that meat on that little frame better check for frame cracks)  ;D

IF I had feelings..THAT woulda hurt.  ;D

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

Duane-

2Lane will have to verify, but I believe we both have the std SEEG height in the front.  I am looking at the Traxxion fork work sheet that was sent back with the forks.

95MM  (this was in the oil column) along with the type/volume of oil
springs 32X340, 1.20 rate

Baseline setting for the front forks was 1 1/4 turns out (from lightly seated).

All I can is this-With the MOCO forks, I would hit a bump and they would bottom out and make a thud.  Never has done this with the AK20's..   I think TC has said it best in that the AK20's keep the front tire planted on the ground and not skipping along like the MOCO's.  

I have 12.5" std Progressive on the rears.  Hope this helps.  My vote for your height is to keep it lowered.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Vertically challenged definitely is not a concern for you Chuck. I think If I was the same height I would be adding the height anyway.

I am more curious as to whether the "straight line bump ride" has much of a difference between stock and lowered heights.

I think if I lived where some of you live I would absolutely "lean" towards the extra height. Up here in Jersey though the twisites we have are just not the same.

Going with the 12" progressives was much easier, if I changed my mind I'm sure I could have sold them and bought the 13" shocks without breaking the bank.

This is just a bit more of an investment.

Now, If I decide to change out to 18" wheels down the road ................................

Duane,

I'd check with Dan and see if there is a stroke length difference between the two lengths of shocks. If the strokes are the same, I would think the ride quality would be the same. If, on the other hand, the 12's have a shorter stroke, then I'd asume they are running a stiffer spring which would mean a stiffer ride.

Same thing goes for the front end. Are the springs the same stiffness?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

IF I had feelings..THAT woulda hurt.  ;D

I've heard that somewhere before. :huepfenlol2:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Geez those mods really jump the gun sometimes.

MV 2013

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange

Geez those mods really jump the gun sometimes.

????????????
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

what was that about?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

what was that about?

I was trying to reply to you and the thread disappeared. d00d snatched it right out from under my feet. ;D

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

Duane

I have one Classic with the AK's and 13" HD 440's.
Nancy rides the other Classic with the AK's and 11.5 STD. 440's.
On the SERG I have the 13" HD 440's and soon will have the AK's.
If your not scraping, your not riding hard enough.

On any bike I was changing shocks on I would go with the 13's/std height!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

I was trying to reply to you and the thread disappeared. d00d snatched it right out from under my feet. ;D

I noticed that too..what happened?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

I had one thread that was just kind of an announcement, maybe since it wasn't meant to be more then a picture I should have posted it under Pis.

The second thread in the suspension group was where I posted my questions looking for some advice.

The two threads were merged - and the original title is now gone, I replaced it.

This thread really starts at # 3 now.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:55:27 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

The thread that was in the "General" board was moved/merged w/the thread Duane started in the "Wheels, Tires, & Suspension" board.

From the rules of posting....

Posts should be made in the proper forum (Road King questions should go in the Road King forum, etc. etc.  Do not post the same messages in multiple forums)

Both of the threads were about Duane sending his front end to Traxxion so they were put together and all the posts still remain.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

Both of the threads were about Duane sending his front end to Traxxion........

No they were not.

MV 2013

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

The thread that was in the "General" board was moved/merged w/the thread Duane started in the "Wheels, Tires, & Suspension" board.

From the rules of posting....

Posts should be made in the proper forum (Road King questions should go in the Road King forum, etc. etc.  Do not post the same messages in multiple forums)

Both of the threads were about Duane sending his front end to Traxxion so they were put together and all the posts still remain.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

AH..it moved mid-post..and told me I didn't have access to that thread. Thought I'd posted a wirty dord.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

AH..it moved mid-post..and told me I didn't have access to that thread. Thought I'd posted a wirty dord.
Nope, you all good. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Nope, you all good. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Can I post a wirty dord?  ::)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG

No, you know what happened last time  :nixweiss:  :huepfenlol2:

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3

I thought you were a worty dird or is that birdy dord or............never mind.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

No, you know what happened last time  :nixweiss:  :huepfenlol2:

:oops: ::)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3

Duane,

I'm on 13's on both ends of both the SEUC and the SEEG.

The bikes handle great and of course have plenty of clearance.  Progressives on the SEUC and Bitubos on the SEEG.

I haven't had enough good weather to get out on the SEEG and put it through the paces but should in the next week, going to get the seat rebuilt ASAP.

The seat gets me bak a couple of inches and also down a bit as well.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 06:45:37 PM by Rjob749 »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

Duane,

I am 5 11, but only have a 30" inseam - which doesn't get my feet flat on the ground with everything at stock height.  I don't feel safe without being able to get my feet flat - so, I went with the stock height AK-20's up front, and went with the Legend Air suspension in the rear.  That way I can ride at stock height, have full suspension travel and not worry about scraping the floorboards - and can drop her down when stopped or in traffic so I can get flat footed.

I know the Legends were not one of the options you listed - but it is what worked for me...     ;)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Duane...the more important question is what is your inseam length?  If it's under 30", you won't be flat footed with full height suspension and the Corbin.

It is my OPINION that the best of both worlds is having the Legend Air shocks on the back, but get off your hip if you want them.  I really like having the infinite adjustment on the fly, and being able to slam the rear down a full 3 inches for walking the bike around when parking.

You are giving up suspension travel with anything less than the full height, so anything else is a compromise.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

Duane...the more important question is what is your inseam length?  If it's under 30", you won't be flat footed with full height suspension and the Corbin.

It is my OPINION that the best of both worlds is having the Legend Air shocks on the back, but get off your hip if you want them.  I really like having the infinite adjustment on the fly, and being able to slam the rear down a full 3 inches for walking the bike around when parking.

You are giving up suspension travel with anything less than the full height, so anything else is a compromise.

31-1/2" inseam, and I'm used to, and prefer, taller suspensions. I don't mind getting off the seat at a stop to be firmly flatfooted, since I'm getting to maintain a good supension height too. But I can sit too, as it's all in the balance. But if you're the type that wants to sit on the seat when stopped and look pretty, and don't care about going over further than the last curve you did, get the lowered suspension. If you dig performance and the thrill of the twisties, get the highest suspension you can while still being able to control your bike when stopped.

Basically, if you're short, you're a poser, or you have to have a lower look, you want a lowered suspension. That's why the SEEG has it, the look. Other than that, you need the taller suspension. I can't think of any other determining factors. It's actually a pretty simple decision. ;)

Hoist! 8)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

31-1/2" inseam, and I'm used to, and prefer, taller suspensions. I don't mind getting off the seat at a stop to be firmly flatfooted, since I'm getting to maintain a good supension height too. But I can sit too, as it's all in the balance. But if you're the type that wants to sit on the seat when stopped and look pretty, and don't care about going over further than the last curve you did, get the lowered suspension. If you dig performance and the thrill of the twisties, get the highest suspension you can while still being able to control your bike when stopped.

Basically, if you're short, you're a poser, or you have to have a lower look, you want a lowered suspension. That's why the SEEG has it, the look. Other than that, you need the taller suspension. I can't think of any other determining factors. It's actually a pretty simple decision. ;)

Hoist! 8)

I prefer to be flat footed when stopped to be safe, expecially when my BSR is aboard.  So, whatever it takes for that to happen is what it is.  Again, that is why I went with the Legend Air Suspension in the rear.  I can ride at full suspension height, but drop it down when I want to get my feet on the ground.  The door closed on looking pretty about 30 years ago!   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

I just keep grinding board mounts, pickin up cornering clearance millimeter by millimeter... :P

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II

31-1/2" inseam, and I'm used to, and prefer, taller suspensions. I don't mind getting off the seat at a stop to be firmly flatfooted, since I'm getting to maintain a good suspension height too. But I can sit too, as it's all in the balance. But if you're the type that wants to sit on the seat when stopped and look pretty, and don't care about going over further than the last curve you did, get the lowered suspension. If you dig performance and the thrill of the twisties, get the highest suspension you can while still being able to control your bike when stopped.

I think the real reason you have the full height is those crappy roads you have to drive "thru"  :o

MV 2013

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

I think the real reason you have the full height is those crappy roads you have to drive "thru"  :o

Funny you say that. In '94 I had a '95 Dyna Convertible. That bike has an extra tall suspension. Everyone goofed on it and called it a "Big Ole Dirt Bike"! But that thing handled fantastic, and I never worried about getting sucked into a pothole. I had Works Performance shocks on it. Great handling bike, but didn't do so well going straight at high speeds. It was very susceptible to tank slappers! :o

Thought that as a convertible it would be a good dual use bike. But a street bike with saddlebags ain't my idea of Touring anymore. I love my rolling Barcolounger! ;)

Hoist! 8)

REGGAB

Still don't think I've realized the full potential of my new suspension.  Topping better than 100mph is a piece of cake now.  Solid as a rock.  Cornering is awesome, but didn't get much of a chance to really dive into any good corners over the weekend due to the rain.  There will be plenty of time and even more opportunities to see if I can still scrape floorboards.  I'll try, but with my narrow a$$ and Renea's feather weight, I don't think it'll happen.....and that's fine with me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:55:19 PM by REGGAB »

Traxxion Dynamics

• Vendor
    • Motorcycle Suspension

With the shorter setup, there is a stroke length difference in both our AK20s and the Bitubos. There is about 17mm less stroke in the shorter Bitubo, and about 20mm less in the shorter AK20.  The spring rate on both length Bitubos is the same. So, as mentioned previously, the main benefit to the longer setup is to keep you from dragging stuff, but that extra bit of travel will also improve the ride a bit.
Traxxion Dynamics Inc.
motorcyle suspension

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

With the shorter setup, there is a stroke length difference in both our AK20s and the Bitubos. There is about 17mm less stroke in the shorter Bitubo, and about 20mm less in the shorter AK20.  The spring rate on both length Bitubos is the same. So, as mentioned previously, the main benefit to the longer setup is to keep you from dragging stuff, but that extra bit of travel will also improve the ride a bit.

So what you're saying is that length matters?  :huepfenlol2:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

hehe....you just beat me to it...   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

(let me rephrase that - hehe....you type faster then me)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Traxxion Dynamics

• Vendor
    • Motorcycle Suspension

Always  :bananarock:
Traxxion Dynamics Inc.
motorcyle suspension
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.837 seconds with 24 queries.