Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD windshield  (Read 2306 times)

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob

miceracs

• Live 3 and ride safe
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Best Harley in Brighton 2011

• CVO1: 2015 RoadGlide Ultra CVO
Re: HD windshield
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »

:pumpkin: Yes I have. looks Ok.
But I took mine off after the first ride, (if you lived in England I would sell it to you).
It is about 2-3 inches lower than the standard screen that came with the bike. This means you get wind in face, for me it was about eye level.
So, gone back top the stock screen. I would not recommend it.

The fitting was fairly easy, you have to take out all the screws, not just loosen and lift out the screen as on bat wing models.

I also installed the chrome front 58519-07A which is excellent!!!
Just finsihes the front off.  :cherry:
The bike is now in having Kuryakyn spot lights installed. (fit to the mudguard bolts)

Good luck.
I work to fund my ability to roam countries on my bike, I live for the day when I no longer need to work and still do what I want!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »

Has anyone tried the Wind Splitter Windshield - Road Glide® Models from Harley?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777340&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309437142&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309437142&locale=en_US&bmUID=1316477008080&bmLocale=en_US

Instead of going with a "one size fits all" shield like HD sells, have you considered installing a shield that actually suits your needs regarding height?  There are many alternatives...Cee Bailey, Clearview, Windvest, Klockworks.  I have a Cee Bailey and like it a great deal.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Goliath

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »

Instead of going with a "one size fits all" shield like HD sells, have you considered installing a shield that actually suits your needs regarding height?  There are many alternatives...Cee Bailey, Clearview, Windvest, Klockworks.  I have a Cee Bailey and like it a great deal.

I just ordered a 14" Cee Bailey.  What size did you get, how tall are you, and where does the top of the shield hit you in your line of sight?  I am hoping that the 14" model will be high enough to throw the wind over my helmet but still low enough to see over.  I was told that I could exchange it if it wasn't the right size.  How was the customer service at Cee Bailey?

Thanks,
Kevin
"He who dies with the most toys WINS!"

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »

Got a Cee Bailey Cee Glide I believe it's 14.5 that I'm going to put on Ebay, I'll take 1/2 of retail whatever that is..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Jerry/MD

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »

I just ordered a 14" Cee Bailey.  What size did you get, how tall are you, and where does the top of the shield hit you in your line of sight?  I am hoping that the 14" model will be high enough to throw the wind over my helmet but still low enough to see over.  I was told that I could exchange it if it wasn't the right size.  How was the customer service at Cee Bailey?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,
TCnBham recommended the Cee Bailey to me. After talking to him I went with the 14". I'm 5' 9" and it is just below my line of sight. I'm afraid to go any lower for fear of getting too much air.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:06:33 PM by Jerry/MD »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »

I just ordered a 14" Cee Bailey.  What size did you get, how tall are you, and where does the top of the shield hit you in your line of sight?  I am hoping that the 14" model will be high enough to throw the wind over my helmet but still low enough to see over.  I was told that I could exchange it if it wasn't the right size.  How was the customer service at Cee Bailey?

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin...I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, give or take a 1/2 inch.  I originally got the 14", but had to send it back and have it cut down another inch.  Now it's perfect, but I wear a FF helmet.  The customer service has been excellent as far as I'm concerned.  I got the Cee Glide model.

TTS Mastertune

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »

I hate the stock screen, I 6ft and not sure what size to get. I want to stop the wind from beating on me.  So im not sure what to buy.

Jerry/MD

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »

I hate the stock screen, I 6ft and not sure what size to get. I want to stop the wind from beating on me.  So im not sure what to buy.

One advantage to the Cee Bailey is they will do a free one time mod if you need it shorter. Just something to consider.

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:02 AM »

Most manufacturers have instructions on their website of how to measure for proper height.  HD only makes "one size fits all", which is useless unless you happen to be the right height for their product.  I would suggest some other brand.  Cee Bailey, Clearview, Klockworks, Windvest, etc.  There's a bunch of them out there.

Basically, here's how you measure on a RG:  Get an assistant.  Sit on the bike with it upright (like on a jack with the tires still touching the floor) in your normal riding position (if you slouch, sit straight up, etc), with both feet on the floorboards.  Use masking tape to affix a yard stick or straight edge to the CENTER of the windshield with the bottom edge flush with the bottom of the windshield where it attaches to the fairing.  Now get another straight edge and hold the end of it between your nose and your upper lip...a string or tape measure will work as well...have your assistant level the straight edge or string from that point over to the windshield where you have the ruler taped.  Have your assistant mark the point at which the string or straight edge intersects the windshield centerline when LEVEL and in your NORMAL riding position.  An inch makes a lot of difference, so get this right!!  This mark will give you a point of reference to figure out what you need.  IF you did it right, the mark should be at a place where you can see over the shield to a point about 50 feet or less on the ground in front of the bike.  This gives you a measurement, in inches, of how tall the new shield needs to be from the bottom of the centerline to the top of what will be the new shield.  It will likely be somewhere between 13" and 16", depending on your torso length. Could be more, could be less, depending on your height.  Get off the bike.  NOW, take your ruler and put the end on top of the speedometer/tachometer bezel, perpendicular to the ground, with the bars/front tire straight on .  Referencing the mark you made on your shield, the 90 degree intersection of that mark and the ruler you're holding perpendicularly will be the height measurement in inches.  Each manufacturer sells their shields using one of these two measurements, or both.  Remember that generally, each manufacturer's shields may be slightly different in the ANGLE of the shield.  But, if you've got both of these measurement, and discuss it with their sales rep, you'll get it right.  Some might measure from the center of the middle hole on the shield for the first measurement, but that is easy to account for by simply subtracting the fraction of an inch from the centerline hole to the bottom of the shield, usually + or - .5", from your first measurement.  If you prefer looking through the shield, adjust accordingly (looking through the shield is not recommended by ANY safety standards).  Neither do you want the top of the shield in your line of sight when looking 50' or so in front of the bike.  Remember that when going up a hill or incline, the relative position of the top of the shield is going to get higher, so it is critical that you can see an object on the ground approximately 50' out when on level ground.  If you wear a half helmet, or no helmet on a RG, all bets are off, but this will be really close to perfect.  If you wear a FF helmet...no problem.  Unless you have a death wish for riding at night, do NOT get a dark tinted windshield if measuring like this...you won't be able to see chit directly in front of you.  A light tint is fine though...most make dark, light, and clear.  Dark is fine for looking cool, but useless otherwise.  If you want the bike to look cool with a dark shield, get one about 8" tall...it will be practically useless for wind protection, but may be OK for tooling around town or bar hopping.  Get something the right height for distance riding.  If you're going to err, do so on the taller side...you can always cut down plastic if you find it too tall, though it may be a little inconvenient to do so.  Disclaimer:  I ain't guaranteeing chit, so use this technique as a guide or reference only.  Then talk to your sales rep to fine tune your selection.

TTS Mastertune

Rock N Roll

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride Hard Or Stay Home!
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTS
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 11:34:39 PM »

I changed my windshield before leaving the dealership.  Just didn't like the wide fat look of the stock shield.  I went with a Klockwerks 12" Flare Windshield.  I'm 5' 9" and look about 2 inches over the top of the windshield.  Just perfect in my opinion.  The Klockwerks shield has a recurve at the top of the shield which makes most of the wind go over the top of my skid lid.  I really don't get any wind in the face and the shield looks great.  I'd recommend a Klockwerks Flare windshield.  They do offer both a shorter and taller version depending on your height and preference.  Ride safe!
Remember, you have to care where you are to be lost.  Enjoy the ride!

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 22 queries.