Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 13" Clearview on FLTRU  (Read 3465 times)

Jerry/MD

13" Clearview on FLTRU
« on: July 15, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

Installed it on Roadie this week and today it got the REAL test and approval...the BSR likes it! :2vrolijk_21:

I got lots of compliments and questions about the Cee Bailey...but I will take functionality over looks any day.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 13" Clearview on FLTRU
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:57:50 PM »

Glad you like the Clearview,  Jerry.   :2vrolijk_21:  It is even better at that the BSR likes it.  If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.   :huepfenlol2:  Just one thing:

:worthless:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »

Gotta agree with you, too, Jerry.  I also had a Cee Bailey and traded it for a Freedom 9".  Liked the looks of the Cee Bailey, but the Freedom works much better.  I guess we're to the point in our lives where function is more important than form. 

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »

Glad you like it too, and it really is a long way from ugly. The more I ride it the more I love it.

Craig
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Jerry/MD

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 07:50:46 AM »

Glad you like it too, and it really is a long way from ugly. The more I ride it the more I love it.

Craig

Hey Craig,
Thanks so much for your help. Your input allowed me to pick the correct size 'right off the bat'.  :)

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

No problem, Jerry. Us munchkins got to stick together...
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »

Hey Craig,
Thanks so much for your help. Your input allowed me to pick the correct size 'right off the bat'.  :)

Jerry...more detail needed.  I see that the Clearview GT13 measures 11" high from the top of the instrument pod, which would work fine with the recurve.  (My Cee Bailey measures 12" and I would not want it any higher...in fact, an inch shorter would be a good thing, with the recurve doing it's job). Questions:  Did you use the Cee Bailey grommets to mount the new shield, or did you go back to the original HD version and use the rubber gasket?  Is the shield painted at the bottom like the Cee Bailey?  If not, wouldn't you need to use the gasket in order to "hide" things at the bottom?  No issues with fitment on the '11 SERGU?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Jerry/MD

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

Jerry...more detail needed.  I see that the Clearview GT13 measures 11" high from the top of the instrument pod, which would work fine with the recurve.  (My Cee Bailey measures 12" and I would not want it any higher...in fact, an inch shorter would be a good thing, with the recurve doing it's job). Questions:  Did you use the Cee Bailey grommets to mount the new shield, or did you go back to the original HD version and use the rubber gasket?  Is the shield painted at the bottom like the Cee Bailey?  If not, wouldn't you need to use the gasket in order to "hide" things at the bottom?  No issues with fitment on the '11 SERGU?

Here ya go Terry:

1. IMHO it sounds like you, Craig and I are similar in height. This windshield is perfect. I have a nice unobstructed view of the road...especially with the BSR on-board. I suspect with a passenger my riding position gets altered a bit and a windshield that is 'at the fringe' actually becomes a tad too tall. That is what I experienced with the 14" Cee Bailey. I probably should have gone with the 13" like you did.

2. I used the Clearview well nuts and the original rubber strip off the stock windshield. That's what the instructions recommend too. The original rubber strip seemed to fit better and the spacing between the holes in the windshield lined-up better. I did use some double-sided tape to hold the strip in place on the windshield to control the fit against the bottom edge.

3. Yes, the shield is painted at the bottom like the stock and Cee Bailey models.

Observations: Despite the lower height the air flow is fine for my height (5' 8"). To be honest I'm not quite clear on what 'buffeting' is so I don't know how to comment on that subject. I do know my BSR commented immediately that she no longer felt like a "bobble head doll". Thank goodness! ;) I suspect the wider profile and the slight recurve help with airflow on the passenger.

Hope this answered your questions...and then some.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:25:39 PM by Jerry/MD »

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 10:43:48 PM »

Terry,

Not to confuse you but I bought the GT13 and used the new well nuts provided by clearview, I also used the foam gasket that is double stick provided in the kit. The shield lined up perfectly with the mounting holes. I had purchased the HD unibrow in black that everybody said wouldn't fit and using this setup and the two offset brow screws on one side, it was a perfect, totally lined up fit.

Craig
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Jerry/MD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:33:24 AM »

Terry,

Not to confuse you but I bought the GT13 and used the new well nuts provided by clearview, I also used the foam gasket that is double stick provided in the kit. The shield lined up perfectly with the mounting holes. I had purchased the HD unibrow in black that everybody said wouldn't fit and using this setup and the two offset brow screws on one side, it was a perfect, totally lined up fit.

Craig

Thanks for that info Craig. I like the looks of the unibrow strip but have avoided it because of all the negative posts about the fit. I have renewed hope...... :)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »

Thanks for that info Craig. I like the looks of the unibrow strip but have avoided it because of all the negative posts about the fit. I have renewed hope...... :)
x2 Need a new thread with pix of that install. :2vrolijk_21:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »

Thanks, Jerry and Craig.

One more question...did you get the dark tint or the light tint?  And if the dark tint, is seeing the ground immediately in front of the bike an issue, particularly at night?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Jerry/MD

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »

Thanks, Jerry and Craig.

One more question...did you get the dark tint or the light tint?  And if the dark tint, is seeing the ground immediately in front of the bike an issue, particularly at night?

Went with the plain-jane clear Terry. Until I got done 'experimenting' (which I think I am now) I was afraid to try anything darker.

Jerry

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 06:18:11 PM »

I got the darkest one, during the day you can still see up to the front of the fairing,not as good as with a clear shield but good enough to miss whatever might be in your way. At night you might not see it with either level of tint and hopefully everybody is focusing at the edge of the headlights and gets out of the way early.

As for the brow install I think the secret is that the shield needs to line  up with the holes in the fairing  without stretching or pulling the shield as is necessary with the HD wind splitter and it's slots for mounting, and in my case the wind splitter never fit right from the start and I believe that's why the MOCO says the brow won't fit on a CVO.
Because the clearview shield is actually formed to the correct radius and it's mounting holes are precise the brow lines right up and is a piece of cake to install.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.