Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old  (Read 2264 times)

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »

What's up with this judge?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo News

Wed Jun 18, 2:08 PM ET

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries."

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on."

"I think most children respect their parents and would never go so far as to take them to court, but it's clear that some would and we have to ask ourselves how far this will go."

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Court overturns father's grounding of 12-year-old
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »

Somone more knowledgeable than I should say; but if I'm not mistaken on her own and without something like a social worker reporting abuse the child wouldn't even standing to sue her parents like this in a US court.  Canadians are weird....

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

That's just wrong on many levels.  As if this special trip is an entitlement to the kid!

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »

That's the direction that CWPS is heading here in Oregon.  It's nothing short of outlandish.   I am SOOOO glad my kids are 15 and 17 and most of the way past all this crap.  :2vrolijk_21:
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:24:18 PM »

I'm confused.  When did gounding become "severe."  I would have taken being grounded over the mast majority of the punishments my Dad handed me in a heartbeat.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »

I'm confused.  When did gounding become "severe."  I would have taken being grounded over the mast majority of the punishments my Dad handed me in a heartbeat.
I heard that, only it was my Mom that handed them (@$$ whippings) to me. I tell her all the time if they had the child abuse laws back then that they have today she'd still be in jail, and I then tell her thank you for loving/caring for me. I've had to many friends that I grew up w/that their parents let them do whatever they wanted end up in jail, dead, or worthless.

In regards to this situation it's utterly ridiculous. :sauer005: When that kid gets in trouble, or gets pregnant that same judge should be the one that ends up taking care of them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »

What's up with this judge?

Yahoo News

Wed Jun 18, 2:08 PM ET

OTTAWA (AFP) - A Canadian court has lifted a 12-year-old girl's grounding, overturning her father's punishment for disobeying his orders to stay off the Internet, his lawyer said Wednesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The girl had taken her father to Quebec Superior Court after he refused to allow her to go on a school trip for chatting on websites he tried to block, and then posting "inappropriate" pictures of herself online using a friend's computer.

The father's lawyer Kim Beaudoin said the disciplinary measures were for the girl's "own protection" and is appealing the ruling.

"She's a child," Beaudoin told AFP. "At her age, children test their limits and it's up to their parents to set boundaries."

"I started an appeal of the decision today to reestablish parental authority, and to ensure that this case doesn't set a precedent," she said. Otherwise, said Beaudoin, "parents are going to be walking on egg shells from now on."

"I think most children respect their parents and would never go so far as to take them to court, but it's clear that some would and we have to ask ourselves how far this will go."

According to court documents, the girl's Internet transgression was just the latest in a string of broken house rules. Even so, Justice Suzanne Tessier found her punishment too severe.

Beaudoin noted the girl used a court-appointed lawyer in her parents' 10-year custody dispute to launch her landmark case against dear old dad.

How does a 12 year old even get to go to court?  My kids would be living in foster homes if they ever pulled that crap.  Our society is falling apart.

Sean

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »

How does a 12 year old even get to go to court?  My kids would be living in foster homes if they ever pulled that crap.  Our society is falling apart.

Sean

Sean, I hate to have to say it but imo it has already fallen and is about to go over the cliff.  God help us.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »

I heard that, only it was my Mom that handed them (@$$ whippings) to me. I tell her all the time if they had the child abuse laws back then that they have today she'd still be in jail, and I then tell her thank you for loving/caring for me. I've had to many friends that I grew up w/that their parents let them do whatever they wanted end up in jail, dead, or worthless.

In regards to this situation it's utterly ridiculous. :sauer005: When that kid gets in trouble, or gets pregnant that same judge should be the one that ends up taking care of them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

BINGO

outrider

• yet another reclusive recalcitrant pundit
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHP
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

The blame for the irresponsibility of having this case heard in a law court clearly lies with the "professionals." That a lawyer would post such a ridiculous case in a court of law should be grounds for disbarring. Public defenders, who are generally novices in their field (at least in the U.S.) are often mentored by a justice/judge. Someone should have stalled this legal action. Obviously this was not the case in this instance.
Add to that the fact that an(other paid) attorney would rebut the case, and that a judge (a supreme court justice? yikes!)) would lend it credence by (not throwing the case and the attorneys involved out of his/her court with extreme prejudice, but) ruling on it, carries this "news" article beyond the ludicrous, to a place which insults the sensabilities of pretty much any person exposed to it. I hope those responsible for placing this juror on the bench are paying attention.
Courts are supposed to be places where justice is metereed out, not where underworked attorneys and judges gain publicity. The law is supposed to be argued and heard by sworn officers of the courts. It is a solemn responsibility which should not be misused for any reason. The principal characters of this news story should be sanctioned for this, as it is clearly professional misconduct. They (each one of them) are culpable in one way or another, and the people who pay taxes to support such courts should be outraged.
I am reasonably sure this court's time could be spent hearing arguments involving real legal issues, and if not then maybe the court system should be examined for a little downsizing. IMHO

Let the lamp affix its beam, the only emperor is the emperor of ice cream.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »

Just a few questions which cross my mind....

What lawyer would take such a case?

What judge would hear such a case?

If Dad does the right thing and ignores the court, what recourse does the girl / court have to exert control over him?

Where's Mom in all this?  Maybe divorced parents?  If so, what part did she play here?

That's all.  Absolutely ridiculous.  I thought the US was the center of all that is wrong in the world's legal systems....guess not.....

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »

Somone more knowledgeable than I should say; but if I'm not mistaken on her own and without something like a social worker reporting abuse the child wouldn't even standing to sue her parents like this in a US court.  Canadians are weird....

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: 'Eh?  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.