Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chirping Noise  (Read 4611 times)

glv1@comcast.net

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

Chirping Noise
« on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »

I have a 1992 Heritage Softail I bought last year and this is my first bike. I have recently notice a chirping noise coming from below it sounds like it is coming from the primary area. When the engine is in gear and driving at a steady speed of 20, 30, 40 mph etc. you can hear the chirping. When you pull in the clutch and just coast without touching the throttle the chirping goes away. Also, If you are stopped and in neutral you don't hear the sound but if you rev up the engine a little you can hear chirping from what seems to be the front of the primary. Beginning of the year I had bike went through and had the puck replaced and then the chain adjusted also the belt seems to be alighted correctly.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: Chirping Noise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »

I would disconnect the battery ground, drain the primary oil and remove the outer primary cover. I would inspect the chain cold adjustment. Of chain is ok, then you can remove the clutch pressure plates and inspect all the fiber and metal plates to eliminate any questions as to if it was anything to do with the primary. Pretty easy to do.

glv1@comcast.net

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

I would disconnect the battery ground, drain the primary oil and remove the outer primary cover. I would inspect the chain cold adjustment. Of chain is ok, then you can remove the clutch pressure plates and inspect all the fiber and metal plates to eliminate any questions as to if it was anything to do with the primary. Pretty easy to do.
Thanks, I will try that. One more question. In the primary where the crank comes in, should I check that area also?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »

Something else that can cause this noise is the belt.  Can be belt alignment issues.  Have also corrected the chirp by dressing the inside of the belt with a thin coat of HD poly oil.  On my Road King this chirp was very annoying.  A tech in Asheville NC at the HD shop put poly oil on the belt & the chirp stopped immediately.  Had to do this every year or 2 when it reoccurred.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »

My FXR4 has over 65k miles on a S&S rear belt, it has never chirped or needed anything sprayed on it. Belt still looks great!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:31:53 AM »

I chased a belt chirp for close to two years. As already posted some belt dressing temporarily solved the problem. In my case the rear aftermarket pulley was the culprit. I changed the pulley back to the stock one and never heard the chirp again. I'm sure the thread with me chasing the noise is still here somewhere.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6420.0
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:41:02 AM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »

Pretty sure getting the chirp while being stopped and in neutral precludes the belt from being the culprit.

glv1@comcast.net

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:36:33 AM »

Something else that can cause this noise is the belt.  Can be belt alignment issues.  Have also corrected the chirp by dressing the inside of the belt with a thin coat of HD poly oil.  On my Road King this chirp was very annoying.  A tech in Asheville NC at the HD shop put poly oil on the belt & the chirp stopped immediately.  Had to do this every year or 2 when it reoccurred.
It could not be the belt because "If you are stopped and in neutral you don't hear the sound but if you rev up the engine a little you can hear chirping from what seems to be the front of the primary." belt is not moving.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »

Pretty sure getting the chirp while being stopped and in neutral precludes the belt from being the culprit.
Yes that is true.

The thread may give direction as to what I checked.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

glv1@comcast.net

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »

I chased a belt chirp for close to two years. As already posted some belt dressing temporarily solved the problem. In my case the rear aftermarket pulley was the culprit. I changed the pulley back to the stock one and never heard the chirp again. I'm sure the thread with me chasing the noise is still here somewhere.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6420.0
It could not be the belt because "If you are stopped and in neutral you don't hear the sound but if you rev up the engine a little you can hear chirping from what seems to be the front of the primary." pully is not moving.

glv1@comcast.net

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:43:17 AM »

Would the chain or plates move while in neutral?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »

Some older clutch baskets have a screwed up plate that breaks. Off hand I can not think of the part's technical name. If you open your primary and remove your clutch plates the problem should be obvious.  When that part fails it leaves debris that rattles inside your clutch hub assembly.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

In these clutches, they have a Spring plate that looks like two steel plates together with brass bearings in between the two plates. These are what fail and makes the noise. If they go out completely it falls apart and locks up the clutch and chews up the clutch basket too. This Spring plate is in the middle of the clutch plates. The cheap fix is to remove it and replace it with a thick steel plate.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 11:12:29 AM »

You may be able to squeeze a steel plate and another friction plate.
Just be sure to stagger steel -fiber - steel plates etc. Good luck.
Hope this fixes it.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:18:43 AM »

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.