Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rear reflector removal  (Read 6980 times)

AThousandHurricanes

Rear reflector removal
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:31:26 AM »

Hi there! Brand new 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom (maple) owner! Traded 2 bikes to get it and so far I am very pleased! I want to remove the rear reflector, as I have seen mentioned in some of these posts, but I am just not visualizing what I need to unbolt to remove it. I loosened the "top" screw under the rear fender, but it just seems to be loosening some inner cap and not the actual license setup. Any help would be appreciated. I am sure this is the first of MANY stupid questions coming from me!

Thanks!

AThousandHurricanes

Re: Rear reflector removal
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:45:06 AM »

ugh nevermind I am such a moron. Under the license plate. Frustration and impatience are unpleasant stenches indeed. Now I can put the CFR's on.  ;)

jcd520

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 10:53:01 AM »

I know , you are just wanting to go ride and you are in a hurry. It happens to all of us. Congrats on your new ride!

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »

... I am sure this is the first of MANY stupid questions coming from me!
Thanks!
no such thing as a stupid question
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »

there are 3 bolts that need to be loosened...one is holding the cover to the license plate light wire junction the other 2 are accessible under you license plate.  remove the reflector and tighten it all back up   
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

bushski1

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:18 PM »

Ok I'm confused. What do I need to do to remove the reflector? I'm not a mechanic :)

Thanks,

Ken

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »

Ok I'm confused. What do I need to do to remove the reflector? I'm not a mechanic :)

Thanks,

Ken

Behind the fender is a cover for the wires and connectors.. remove the cover.

then remove the threee bolts that retain the plate holder assembly.

The reflector is mounted on plastic with a ring the wires pass through.. unclip the connector and slide it out...

Reassemble.. ride enjoy...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:52:30 AM »

I must be stupid -- not sure what you guys are doing?  I have friends that just cut it off while attached but it looks like crap.

is there a replacement seal that does not have a reflector?  Or are you taking it off and just cutting it off with a clean even cut then replacing the seal.  Thanks, any suggestions?
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:43:05 AM »

The reflector:

This is how it looks without anything... 3 holes

All the stuff from the bracket loose

Underside view:

Clean this off before you put it back on

All back together:

TheLoneWolfPack

• The Lone Wolf
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »

Thanks 2012_FLTRXSE, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Thanks for the public service.
2011 FLHXSE2, 113 Torque Pounds, Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner, Vanc & Hines Power Chamber, Rinehart 4", Sundowner Seat, Standard Backrest, FLHX Passenger Floor Boards, Garmin 665 Weather/Nav, 10" Windshield, Fairing, Air Deflectors,

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

Thanks 2012_FLTRXSE, a picture is worth a thousand words.  Thanks for the public service.

Youre welcome... those pics are three years old... that was the day after I brought my FLTRSE3 home...

I still havent done anything with Maple Syrup... though I have been thinking Yaffe, or possibly Kury... but dont care a lot for either.... might have to make my own at work and see what I come up with.

HD4CPA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »

I slipped a thin plastic sheet between reflector and fender and cut it with a razor box cutter.  Sheet is semi-hard plastic type material from wife's kitchen think its called a baking sheet.  Thin enough to slip between and hard enough to not cut through into paint.
Mods:
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Fullsac 2" baffles
TTS Mastertune
Integrated XM Stereo
Hogtune Speakers
Hog Pod
HID Lighting
C&C Solo Seat
1" Floorboard Extenders

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »

Dang, you guys know how to make an easy job hard! :( Just undo the 2 screws under the license plate and the whole assmble falls foward exposing the reflector base and ring around the wires. Cut the dang ring with a wire cutter and remove the reflector (you're going to trash the damn thing anyway)! Screw the assemble back on....done. Takes about 3 minutes and you're back on the road! :)
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 08:36:44 PM »

:nixweiss:

Mine goes on once a year for inspection... then comes right off.

Yes. Its as simple as unscrewing the two screws unless you arer removing the whole assembly.... i photod the wbole process so others can see whats there.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

Then keep the reflector and you can just slip it back on around the wire bundle. Once reassembled and screws tightened pressure will hold it in place for inspect.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.