Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 SERG Seat - Leather or Vinyl?  (Read 2742 times)

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
2012 SERG Seat - Leather or Vinyl?
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:32:25 PM »

I am a bit confused about the seat on the SERG for 2012. The seat appears to be vinyl from the underside edging but mine came with a tub of leather conditioner in the bags with all the other items.

Is this seat leather or vinyl and what is the best way to take care of it?  :nixweiss:

This has probably been addressed somewhere but thanks for you input.  :2vrolijk_21:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2012 SERG Seat - Leather or Vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »

I am a bit confused about the seat on the SERG for 2012. The seat appears to be vinyl from the underside edging but mine came with a tub of leather conditioner in the bags with all the other items.

Is this seat leather or vinyl and what is the best way to take care of it?  :nixweiss:

Most (if not all) of the HD seats have been vinyl for years.  The tub of leather treatment they give you does work well, esp. for water resistance.  I also use Lexol cleaner and their conditioner on the Leather part of my Corbin seat.  Lemon Pledge works very well too.  I have not checked the '12 RG my self but would be surprised if it were all leather.   Corbin, for example makes their seats with leather seating surfaces and vinyl sides claiming the vinyl holds its shape better.  Did you check for that?  Here is what HD says on the website:

the ultimate in custom touring style and comfort in either solo or two-up configuration. Whether you’d rather be a lone road ranger or roll with a passenger, this Ultra’s custom leather saddle goes the distance in luxury and looks. With its low profile and color-coordinated diamond pattern stitching (or cover, depending on the color combo you choose) it offers custom style all the way—while its deep bucket is trimmed in at the thighs and sculpted to hold you close to your ride and the road, so you can log the miles without getting weary.

You inspection is probably your answer.  Picture is from the same web page.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:45:56 PM »

It is vinyl, 2013 has a leather panel (only in the diamond pattern area). 
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Phixtit

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 H-D® FLTRXSE2-ANV CVO™ Road Glide® Custom 110

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLTRXSE2-ANV
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:49 PM »

It is vinyl, 2013 has a leather panel (only in the diamond pattern area). 
So is the 2013 SERG Anniversary Edition seat without the diamond patching real leather?

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »

Thanks! That is what I was thinking. All the 2012 press material talks about the shape and solo but in 2013 they stated leather inserts so I figured it was changed.  It looks like vinyl to me because when I wrinkle it between my fingers I cant find a noticeable grain like leather but I have been wrong at least once or twice.  :-[

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »

So is the 2013 SERG Anniversary Edition seat without the diamond patching real leather?

Mine appears to be vinyl.  Don't really care, it's getting replaced eventually anyway.

Rich
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

ramdez

• CVO1: CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
    • ScottishHD
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »

Mine is leather.

I also checked their web site and its states that the 2012 seat combo is leather.

The ultimate in custom touring style and comfort in either solo or two-up configuration. Whether you’d rather be a lone road ranger or roll with a passenger, this Ultra’s custom leather saddle goes the distance in luxury and looks. With its low profile and color-coordinated diamond pattern stitching (or cover, depending on the color combo you choose) it offers custom style all the way—while its deep bucket is trimmed in at the thighs and sculpted to hold you close to your ride and the road, so you can log the miles without getting weary.

RamDez
CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® Ultra
Abyss Blue and Crushed Sapphire

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »

Our dealer found out for me that for 2012 seat the manufacturer lists it as a synthetic leather that is sealed for protection and durability.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »

Our dealer found out for me that for 2012 seat the manufacturer lists it as a synthetic leather that is sealed for protection and durability.

Yes, maybe you guys have heard of Naugahyde. I really find myself very unhappy about the slaughter of innocent Naugas. You CVO guys have no idea of how many Naugas it takes to make just one motorcycle saddle.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

Phixtit

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2013 H-D® FLTRXSE2-ANV CVO™ Road Glide® Custom 110

• CVO1: 2013 CVO FLTRXSE2-ANV
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »

Yes, maybe you guys have heard of Naugahyde. I really find myself very unhappy about the slaughter of innocent Naugas. You CVO guys have no idea of how many Naugas it takes to make just one motorcycle saddle.
LOL

Naugahyde (sometimes abbreviated to Nauga) is an American brand of artificial leather ("pleather"). Naugahyde is a composite of a knit fabric backing and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic coating. It was developed by United States Rubber Company, and is now manufactured and sold by the Uniroyal Engineered Products division of Michelin. Its name, first used as a trademark in 1936,[1] comes from the Borough of Naugatuck, Connecticut, where it was first produced. Uniroyal asserts that Naugahyde is one of the most popular premium pleathers.[citation needed] Naugahyde is manufactured in Stoughton, Wisconsin.[2]
Advertising campaign showing the fictional Nauga character. Note that the Nauga's skin is made of vinyl.

A marketing campaign of the 1960s and 1970s asserted humorously that Naugahyde was obtained from the skin of an animal called a "Nauga". The claim became an urban myth.[3] The campaign emphasized that, unlike other animals, which must typically be slaughtered to obtain their hides, Naugas can shed their skin without harm to themselves.[4] The Nauga doll, a squat, horned monster with a wide toothy grin, became popular in the 1960s and is still sold today.[5]

British singer-songwriter Al Stewart referred to Naugahyde in his song 'Gina in The Kings Road' on his 2005 album 'A Beach Full of Shells'. Set in the swinging 60s in London, the song is about a young lady, popular with many gentlemen, with whom he forms a liaison about which he says "Don't you cast aspersions on my Naugahyde affair".

E-Skunk

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »

A marketing campaign of the 1960s and 1970s asserted humorously that Naugahyde was obtained from the skin of an animal called a "Nauga". The claim became an urban myth.[3] The campaign emphasized that, unlike other animals, which must typically be slaughtered to obtain their hides, Naugas can shed their skin without harm to themselves.[4] The Nauga doll, a squat, horned monster with a wide toothy grin, became popular in the 1960s and is still sold today.

Those poor little Naugas! Running around in the winter naked! Maybe the MoCo should give them leather jackets to keep warm! :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »

Damn things are bigger than than Johnny Carson.  Probably get two or three seats out of even a small one...

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.