Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fm reception  (Read 834 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Fm reception
« on: July 14, 2019, 05:15:17 PM »

Last year in sturgis I had Dakota digital gauges installed. Never really noticed last year cause mainly listen to Xm but yesterday went for a ride and switch to fm cause reception on Xm wasn't to good. Fm was worse all I heard was engine interference on the radio, no music at all.  I am planning on moving the Xm antenna to the outside of the fairing by the vent but was wondering if there is anything to look for as far as the fm antenna? Going to email Dakota digital also but was wondering if anyone here had the same problem. Bike is a 16 sg.

Thanks
Kevin

det1721

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2019 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Roadglide
Re: Fm reception
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »

19 CVO SG , XM reception is crap. Riding down open interstate and radio fades in and out. HD tech says they will check, no reply from XM yet. If it helps please pass on.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »

Move your XM antenna between the windshield and dash. Can barely see it there and reception is great. I have done it on my 12 and 19 Roadglide and did it to my 17 Streetglide and before doing it reception was horrible, after was great!   
Alan

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »

Relocating the Sirius antenna to the top of the inner fairing made a big difference for me. I used a small round file to cut a relief grove for the wire so it wouldn't get pinched.
Check the fm antenna connection from the radio, disconnect it and look into both the male and female ends for corrosion.  May be that it didn't get pushed all the way together.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:55:41 AM by Joel »
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »

Last year in sturgis I had Dakota digital gauges installed. Never really noticed last year cause mainly listen to Xm but yesterday went for a ride and switch to fm cause reception on Xm wasn't to good. Fm was worse all I heard was engine interference on the radio, no music at all.  I am planning on moving the Xm antenna to the outside of the fairing by the vent but was wondering if there is anything to look for as far as the fm antenna? Going to email Dakota digital also but was wondering if anyone here had the same problem. Bike is a 16 sg.

Thanks
Kevin

Hey Kevin, I can't remember if the '16 SESG had the external antenna or that inner faring FM antenna?  If it's the inner faring one (hidden), those things aren't the best for FM anyway and that may be your issue.  I tried the HD hidden antenna on my '12 SESG.  I kept my cable in place just in case and glad I did.  Went back to the external as I had poor reception.

If you have the external stock, check your connections (as stated by Joel).  Also, if it's an external, the factory put some extra coax in place just in case the owner decided to install a tour pak.  The coil of extra cable on my '12 was routed in a way that the rear drive belt was rubbing on it and caused a short.  I went from great to no reception and found that rub area.  I repaired it and no further problems.  I'd check that, too.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 09:14:51 AM by Haird »

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:13:27 AM »

Thanks guys. I sent an email to Dakota digital about the problem and they said they have encountered this problem. He sent me some pictures and told me to get ferrite chokes to put over the wires and should take care of the problem. My radio antenna is inside the fairing no external.

As far as the Xm antenna I plan on moving it to the top of the dash. I will just wait till I get the chokes so I only need to open it once. Has anyone else put a little relief grove for the wire of the Xm antenna or just pulled it out and closed the fairing back up.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »

For long term reliability I would suggest creating a passage for the wire versus having it trapped between two pieces of hard plastic where it would be susceptible to chafing.  It wouldn't take much of a groove.  Btw, the internal FM antenna is a joke Harley installed strictly as a styling trick to clean up the lines of the bike.  If you really want to listen to FM in areas with less than very strong FM stations, you should consider replacing that internal antenna with a decent external antenna.  It wouldn't have to be a huge whip, the smaller tuned antenna's work fine.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:30:02 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »

So I had the fairing off today to look at things. The hidden antenna is mounted to the inside of the outer fairing so not sure why the gauges would be affecting reception.  All I know is that the fm reception was great until the digital gauges went in. I have to say Dakota digital has been great with trying to help me work through this problem, great great customer service. Hopefully will get this issue worked out.

The Xm antenna I was going to move outside the fairing but I chickened out cause I didn't want to put a groove in the plastic for the wire to be in without being pinched. I am afraid of water leaking in there cause we do wash our bikes on a regular basis.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »

The groove you cut is going to allow the wire to pass with out pinching yet snug enough to act a a seal also. Improves reception greatly.  Sits to the tight of the vent.
I get reception inside my garage and no drop out's when going under overpasses.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.