Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015 ST CVO - Electrical Problem(s)  (Read 2359 times)

ed53511

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

2015 ST CVO - Electrical Problem(s)
« on: April 11, 2022, 08:24:23 PM »

2015 ST CVO - 12,000+ miles.

Short ride today.

On route home, the bike stalled out, no electrical. Pulled into a near parking lot.  Shut the bike down and turned it back on, and started it up with no issue. Left the parking lot, about a mile later, noticed the red light above the engine light flashed on, and the oil light, and then the check engine light, and then the bike shut down again.  Pulled down a side street, shut her down, brought her back up, and started her again. No issue(s).

Left the side street, about a mile down the road, it repeats. This time I became aware of the voltmeter needle bouncing. Repeated the start-up. While sitting there and idling, no issues, voltmeter needle is steady and still, right at the 14 tick. Take off again, the voltmeter is all over the place. Get about another mile or so down the road, REPEAT.

Pullover - restart for the 4th time. Meter/Needle stable at 14. Take off/Accelerate, the needle is all over the place. House is only about half a mile away so I was able to get it home.

On a potentially related note. The battery was dead (or at least not strong enough to start the bike - I think I recall it did turn on lights and stereo) 6-7 weeks ago in the heated garage. So I put it on the Harley battery tender. This is the 4th time I've had the bike out this season (after the charge). All 3 previous short runs were with no issue. Tonight when I was getting ready to leave the garage. Starting sounded like a dead battery click. So I shut it down and tried again. Started with no problem. So I figured I was fine. Also on the route home, I noticed static during the radio/music. It did not dawn on me until I got home the music source was MP3s (shouldn't be static).

Any Ideas?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2015 ST CVO - Electrical Problem(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 09:09:13 PM »

Do the normal/obvious/easy/cheap stuff first.  Make sure all battery cable connections are clean and tight (both ends of the cables).  After/if those turn out to be ok don't be surprised if you're buying a regulator or a battery.

ed53511

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 09:12:38 PM »

Thank you Twolanerider.

Turns out it was a loose battery cable. Arking has melted some of the connector. So now I am researching a new battery?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:47:13 PM by ed53511 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 11:42:10 PM »

Thank you Twolanerider.

Turns out it was a loose battery cable. Arking has melted some of the connector. So now I am researching a new battery?

Not necessarily. If all is now tight and working declare victory and ride on.  Always check that kind of thing first.  It's cheap and easy so always go there first.  If the charging system, battery or other electronics were in some way damaged by the arcing you're concerned about it will let you know right away.  If you've got no problem now though, well; congrats on the excellent fix :drink: .

ed53511

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 01:55:28 PM »

Took her out some miles today. Everything seems to be fine.

Lesson Learned = Double-check battery cables at begin of the season.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 24 queries.