Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: the Ultimate Windshield.  (Read 47314 times)

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
Re: the Ultimate Windshield.
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »

Weellllll holy jumpin crawdads :orange:............ Finally got the last piece, UPS guy just left. Thank you Rebecca for staying on top of this. I will get it all on and test this weekend with a report to follow.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:29 AM »

I also just recvd my last piece.  Looks like its gonna be a long night of drilling and fitting the pieces.  Cant wait, got a 3 hour ride ahead of me this weekend. :orange: :bananarock:

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »

Now I'm getting a little excited.  I've been out of town since last Thursday and maybe there will be some boxes waiting on my return Friday.  Let us know about any tips on fitting it all together.

BlueIce

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • Invision Arcade Games
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »

Looks like I'll be lucky to have my windshield upgrade by Christmas.  Just received an update by my dealer that the missing items (Lt. Deflector & Windshield) are pushed back for delivery till Dec 1st.  Glad I paid in advance for everything and held captive to complete purchase with penalty of 30% restocking fees.  Gives you that satisfied fuzzy feeling all over. :(

xpanther

« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

I got the windshield and deflector today. I already installed everything including the GPS. It works great. No more whistle in the ears or buffeting. Can also play the music at a normal level and still hear it at 70 MPH. I couldn't be more pleased except for the cost but at least it works great.

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »

Surprise.....when I got back from being gone a week had 2 boxes waiting for me,1 was deflectors and hardware and the other was the windshield!!  But on unpacking I see that I must have slurred my words to Rebecca and received 3 #2567 screws instead of 3 #2467 screws (they hold the mounting plates to the windshield).  Will take it to the local hardware store to see if I can find stainless replacement screws before I reorder.  Oh I also got the "you know there are a lot of leaves out there before you start another project......"

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »

xpanther and jjohn581,  congrats on making the transition.  As well as many other ConV owners, I have been following this thread since it first started.  When I bought the bike I immediately purchased a 7jurock upgraded windshield and don't want to buy another new 2012 windshield if I don't have to.  So my question for you boys is this; is that horizontal slot at the bottom of the new shield necessary?  I assume it allows for better airflow and less turbulence, but if you covered it up on your new assembly would you notice the difference, or is the big improvement a result of the side deflectors?

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »

I got the windshield and deflector today. I already installed everything including the GPS. It works great. No more whistle in the ears or buffeting. Can also play the music at a normal level and still hear it at 70 MPH. I couldn't be more pleased except for the cost but at least it works great.

Any tricks on drilling the holes in the bracket to mount the deflectors?  Since the new windshield is a little wider I will go ahead and put it on the fairing and then look to see where the defectors will go and probably make a template to make the holes the same on each bracket.  Not having seen a 2012 convertible, I am not exactly sure of the location of the deflectors but it looks like you can keep the same slight gap from under the windshield all the way around.  A pic of yours would be helpful.

I did call Rebecca and she is sending me the right screws to mount the windshield bracket.  Very nice to work with.

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:28 PM »

Duh, I just looked at the first page and saw the pics previously posted so that answers my question on how it should look. If you have any tips on where you drilled the holes let me know.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »

Duh, I just looked at the first page and saw the pics previously posted so that answers my question on how it should look. If you have any tips on where you drilled the holes let me know.
I just clamped the pieces on and center punched to mark where to drill the holes.  I measured, looked at Porky's pictures and viewed them from many angles before marking.  I then drilled small pilot holes and just kept making the holes bigger until the bolts would just slide through.  Mine lined up perfect.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2011, 10:01:15 AM »

a couple notes.  Notice the windshield is completely clear.  Also, the front signals have been switched down below the fairing.  I was told that the shield wouldn't fit if signals were up on handlebars but I believe they would fit with no problem at all.  Below the fairing makes them look a little more balanced and would also augment the addition of a light bar for auxilliary lighting if and when one wants to add them.  On its way to being a "contender" in the touring class.  All I need them to make for me to be happy is saddlebag guard bars so my "precious cargo", my wife, can be safe on the back as well.  Maybe they will read this and make a set special for me........  :2vrolijk_21: 
Now, we are getting close to being as close to a CVO Heritage as it is possible to get....... Watch, now next year they will make a CVO Heritage Softail.......remember, you read it first right here on the CVO forum....... Pork.

Windshield would prob work with turn signals on the handlebars however when the signals are activated or on as running lights the reflection from being behind the windshield would be an irritation. Just Sayin. Good looking bike by the way.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

The install on the windshield and deflectors went smoothly.  As RCFlyer did, I clamped the piece on the bracket and adjusted it to be evenly spaced.  I did put a piece of tape on the bracket first to easily place a mark then center punched and drilled.  I haven't done a good road test yet but based on the other comments it should help a lot with some of the turbulence issues and other than cost, it's a quick and easy modification.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: the Ultimate Windshield.
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2011, 12:58:34 AM »

I just put mine on, quick and easy.  Gonna ride in the morning to see how it feels.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »

Finally got the windshield and side deflectors on Saturday evening. Did 154 miles yesterday. It was a good test day because even though we started out with sunshine and what looked to be nothing less than a perfectly cool sunny day - it went to all clouds and quite chilly. I say this because while buffeting is the primary reasoning behind this change it's nice to know that these parts are actually doing the intended job.

The buffeting is gone! even for the BSR, wife is very happy!! The only time I experienced any buffeting was on the highway behind numerous other bikes, trucks and cars, nothing will stop that!

Air flow is completely changed. The only downside I can see at all is that the new airflow directs a small concentrated flow directly at your mouth area (of course depending on your height). Now I actually think in the summer this will be a welcome characteristic if your riding with the windshield on. In any event it did not bother me at all even in the chilly temps.

Height, I am only 5-6 and the top of the shield is just below my plane of vision, perfect for me. The few times my vision dipped below the top I was not annoyed at all with the clear shield.

Turn signals...... I really see no reason to change these. We did end up coming home after dark. The reflection from the turn signals is only on the lower inner fairing (black area) the same as it was before.
Speedometer...... this is the only problem with the whole thing. The glare from the red speedometer glow is right at the top of the windshield (as previously stated by another poster) and extends down 1 - 1 1/2" and is significant. I think that the speedo trim ring will fix this we just need to find the right one.

IMO, parts are doing what is intended and doing it very well, kept us as warm as could be expected on this day.

Again, IMO, I thought the original fairing and screen was too small for the bike and looked kind of cheesy. This new setup looks like the custom piece that it should and I think looks 100% better for this bike. The HD emblem for the Zumo mount also looks awesome!!

I am extremely happy with the whole mess!!

Rick
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »

Ok so I put the deflectors on, it did make a difference not as much as I was expecting.  I have a Jurock shield on now, I would like to cut a hole in it to see if that will help me achieve the results that others have stated.  Has anyone else done this? If so, results?  Would someone be kind enough to give me some dimensions from their shields, size of hole and vertical height from top of fairing.  Thanks in advance.

Henry
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.