Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scraping floorboards  (Read 3566 times)

Old Spice

Scraping floorboards
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »

I am new to the forum and have only had my conv. for a little over a month (from Jan. 11). I have already logged about 1,600 miles and now I know a few of the negatives on this bike. I knew from reading that I would have a problem with the running boards touching down way too soon but I guess being a woman, I loved it so much I thought I could change it  :-* Anyway, I read some old threads on the issue but I didn't see any real answer for me. I am 5' so I don't think forward controls are going to work. I am a fairly aggressive rider....Comes from chasing a brother on dirt bikes my whole life. I am mangling the brackets and the outer edge of the floorboards. It is causing me to tone down my riding habits...Wait, that is why I bought a CVO! Well, it's pretty too but the 110 was the reason I said yes! My husband is pondering making some mounts that will raise the whole floorboard about an inch but hasn't got it all figured out in his head yet. Any other resolutions out there?

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Scraping floorboards
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »

Welcome to the site from Mississippi. There will be several replies from knowledgeable guys with similar problems that have been worked thru. Some good some better. Good luck

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »

Seems like you have already articulated your ideal solution.   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

Seriously, I sometimes ride with a former Ducati rider who bought a Heritage Softail.  He can scrape the boards on both sides at will without even being bothered.  Scraping the brackets is not good as you can lift the tires off the street.  Sounds like you need two bikes.... 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Old Spice

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:23:25 PM »

Seems like you have already articulated your ideal solution.   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

Seriously, I sometimes ride with a former Ducati rider who bought a Heritage Softail.  He can scrape the boards on both sides at will without even being bothered.  Scraping the brackets is not good as you can lift the tires off the street.  Sounds like you need two bikes.... 

I have another bike...a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I scrape the floorboards on it too but but I can push through the twisties with no trouble. I am too short for a sport bike and no money left for a V-Rod.  :-\

Bike30

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »

You could try a couple of things that may reduce the scraping. I believe the FLSTSE3 comes with a lowered rear suspension and rear shocks P/N 54549-04. You can increase the shock preload and slow the rear frame compression under load in a turn. That can delay the scrape some, but at the potential expense of rider comfort.

Or you can install the taller (~1") rear suspension shock kit P/N 54000041, and adjust their preload as above. I've done the latter on two Softails and it seems to delay the contact at a given lean angle and speed. However my main goal was more suspension travel with that mod.

You might be able to fuss with the floorboard angle (raise the outboard edge) via installing spacers between the boards and their rotation stops as well. Never did that yet, but it'd be simpler than changing out the suspension.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

Raising the suspension would be your best bet assuming you can still touch the ground.  An adjustable hydraulic shock like a Progressive 422 or an air shock like a Shotgun would help.  The Shotgun would give you the ability to adjust on the fly.

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »

I pick up a second set of foot boards at the Biker Swap Meet for $10.00

I plan to add 1/2 to 3/4 channel iron blocks between the mounts and the boards to raise them a bit. My wife is 5'0" and suffers the same problem. If I can resolve this issue, I'll finally be able to get rid of her 883/1200 SuperLow Sportster.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:34:58 PM by Gamma742 »
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Old Spice

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »

I plan to add 1/2 to 3/4 channel iron blocks between the mounts and the boards to raise them a bit. My wife is 5'0" and suffers the same problem.

This is what my husband had in mind of resolving the issue. If you manage to make this work please re-post with pics of what you did since he hasn't managed to get around to it. He has way too many projects started and this is not at the top of his priority list since I am managing. I guess when I file those brackets to a sharp edge in the meantime he will have to deal with that too.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:26 PM »

BTW.. We did try the Bleed and Feed Type air shocks but she wasn't happy with the ride.. She is a very fussy gal and demands it be just right!! I had to install reverse on it for her because she doesn't want anyone helping her park it! It's a pretty heavy bike for a gal that weighs less then a 105 lbs.

I need to lean the bike over to see how much I have to play with. As someone mentioned above, you don't want to scrape on the solid mounts so I need to have some scrap-age on the boards as a early warning device.

I'm going to be riding with weekend but will revisit this during the week next week. In the meantime, Post up some pictures of your bike.. this is after all your thread :2vrolijk_21: What Year and Color is your Bike?

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Old Spice

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »

Gamma, I have a red 2013 conv. When I first joined the forum I tried several times to upload a pic but it just would not work. I finally tried again and it went right in. Guess I wasn't holding my mouth right.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »

I'm confussed  :nixweiss: I thought the Convertible ran from 2010-2012???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Old Spice

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »

I re-read my post and couldn't believe I did that. I have a 2012. I had two people talking to me while I was writing. Oh well, I used to be blonde...now it's gray. Not sure which hair color was kickin' in. Sorry about that!

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »

Hi All,
I like the rest of us convertible owners have the same problem. I am not sure but I suspect it is more the bottom bracket scraping than the actual floorboard.  If that is the case I would think a fabricator on this site could earn a profit by redesigning new footboard brackets.  I for one would consider purchasing redesigned brackets if they gave me another degree or two of lean.
john

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.