Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Question  (Read 3677 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Oil Pressure Question
« on: September 27, 2004, 03:21:57 PM »

Hello All,
Has anyone noticed if your oil pressure is lower than say a normal 88 or 95 cubic inch motor in a bagger?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 03:23:31 PM by 103Eagle »
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Oil Pressure Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:16:38 PM »

103Eagle the inaccurace of these a gauges makes it a guess at best( I think most of us have amp gauge that read 14-15volts) can't think the oil pressure is any better.  But mine reads about 30-35lbs cruising and 15-20lbs hot in traffic.  
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:59:03 AM »

As bad as it may sound, I have always used my gauges as a "reference monitoring tool" for each and every Hog (to include that damn fuel gauge) I have ever owned.

I get used to what the battery, fuel, oil, etc. gauges read, and then once I have my new baseline (seems to be different even between the two CVOs Electra Glides that I have owned) I then watch for any abnormalities.

[smiley=drink.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 03:43:04 PM »

Well in the owners manual is reads:  Oil pressure will vary from about 5psi at idle to about 30-38psi at 2,000 rpm when warm at operating temperature.   I used to run 32 most of the time but now run much lower.  That is the main reason I was asking.  Mine holds 32 above 2k rpm untill I get about 20 miles into a ride then she drops.  Seems like it takes too long to build pressure now as well.  
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 12:32:59 PM »

I would then take it into the shop and see if you have an obstruction in your line, failing pump, etc.

Without propery lubercatoin, that motor will eat itself in no time.  [smiley=nervous.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 07:40:42 PM »

Had ol blue in the shop today.  In case you are interested, this situation all seems to relate to my post on oil level in this message group that I posted previously.  Anyhow, dealer removed the sending unit and installed a mechanical oil pressure guage.  It did show pressure but the needle was very jumpy and not constant.  At times it would build pressure quickly then at times it would not.  The best guess they gave was the cam plate is failing, to be more precise, the pressure relief spring and spool that regulates the pressure.  It is located in the cam plate.  Since I did a long day of parade duty and the bike got quite warm, they feel either something is lodged in the spool or the spring has weakened.  In 3 years they have only had one similar failure surface so I am a bit worried on this one.  Anyhow, gonna try and get a second opinion.  Will keep ya posted!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 08:56:13 PM »

103 Eagle  please keep us posted on this!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 05:48:12 PM »

Well stopped in the shop today and looked over old blue.  The housing bore of the oil pump was scored up a bit so the whole pump is being replaced.  (This bore holds the 2 gear rotors that rotate inside the housing, the rotors looked fine, the housing is aluminum and the rotors are steel.)   The cam support plate is also being replaced which holds the oil pressure relief spring and spool that helps regulate the pressure.  This plate also has the cam chain tensioner pads which will be new.  The ones in the bike had succficient wear on them but not to the point they were a problem.  The dealer showed me the scores and suggested that some foreign material went through the pump.  This concerns me as to where did it come from and did it do any other internal damage.  Well at least I have a 6 year extended warranty!  Will keep ya posted when we get her back on the road.  

[smiley=confused5.gif]        [smiley=confused5.gif]        [smiley=confused5.gif]

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 07:13:37 PM »

I have a Feuling pump in my bike (with the stock cam plate). It was well worth the $300 investment. The bike runs 25psi at idle and approx. 42psi when above 2000rpm. I'm thinking about rebuilding again this winter ( S&S rumored to be producing a 124" kit ), if I do, I will add a Delkron support plate (billet) as well. You know there's just no end to the money you can spend on this stuff, ha ha!

The stock support paltes can be a problem although I have only seen one other case of a problem with one and that was the machining, or rather lack of it on the surface where the oil pump aligns. This also caused sporatic although not necessarily lower pressure readings on that bike. Good luck with your fix.

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 07:17:55 PM »

S&S rumored to be producing a 124" kit
The 124" stuff is in their new catalog that came last week.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 03:37:22 PM »

Yo,
   Got old blue out on the road again and all is fine.  Noticed a difference in oil pressure and how quick it builds immediatley.  Now she holds 32 steady 2500rpm and above.  Normal operating idle is 2 dots above 0 which should be around 11 pounds.  Now we keep our fingers crossed that all stays this way!  Next time a fueling pump will be installed but hope that don't happen!
Cheers! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.