Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fogged fuel guage possible fix!  (Read 1816 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Fogged fuel guage possible fix!
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:18:29 PM »

Hello Gang,  OK I am only the messenger so do not hold me responsible if this does not work for you.  One of my friends wrote to American Iron Magazine and asked if there was a fix for fogged fuel gauges in the HOG HELPLINE section ( Nov 04 issue ).  Below is the reply from AIM.  Both of us are going to try  it as soon as we get a day to pull off our batwings.

If the gauges are sealed tightly, mositure can't get out, and you'll see condensation when things cool off.  If the back of the gauge is sealed up tightly, a small hole drilled in the bottom of the gauge housing can help dry it out.  If you feel up to it, remove the gauge and drill a 1/16" hole in the back.  Just be very careful not to drill too deeply, so nothing inside the gauge gets damaged!

So there ya go!  Yer on yer own, no warranties expressed or implied!   Funny but if the fix was this simple ya think the MOCO would have incorporated it long ago!  Still maybe worth a try, a little venting may be just what is needed!  

[smiley=beerchug.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Fogged fuel guage possible fix!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:34:09 PM »

I saw that in AIM, but boy, I don't know about that one . . . . It seems to me that it is the air getting into the gauge that's causing the problem in the first place.  If that's so, then this procedure may make things worse. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  This problem's been around a long time and I find it a little hard to believe someone hasn't tried it before and got the word out before now.  Plus, it does little to explain why only the fuel gauge seems to be the only one that is affected.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, just may be worth thinking about some more before drilling on your spun aluminum face gauge.  So, you try it and let us know, OK? [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 09:01:39 AM »

I was under the impression that the gauge was not sealed so it could breathe and thus not fog up and if so dry it self out.  I ride in a lot of rain and it fogs up or gets wet then in a few days it goes away.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

Again I was only passin along some info.  I am waiting to see if my friend uses this fix and what results he gets.  As I said,  seems like a fix this easy would have been used by the MOCO long ago.

Will keep ya posted. [smiley=rolleyes5.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:30:09 PM »

I am waiting to see if my friend uses this fix and what results he gets.

I like your approach on this one.  Friend wrote in, let friend try first.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:24:13 PM »

It's nice to know that I am not the only one with this issue...I took the bike into the shop for warranty work yesterday including this issue.

Perhaps I have been lucky, however I never had more than 3 warranty claims on the past 5 HD's I have purchased.  This bike however I am up to 8 and counting...Let's hope there is a fix available and be sure to let the MotCo know of the issue...Strength in Numbers... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 09:27:49 PM »

Well, I wishI could report that I have been able to obtain a correction from the MotoCo...However that is not the case at this point...I will keep trying  and let you know the results.

All the Best.

[smiley=shocked2.gif]

oddfirejeep

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »

Howdy,

My 2004 FLHTCSE has the same problem with the fuel gauge fogging. I would rather pull it apart myself, and take the chance on drilling the gauge. I am sure the dealer would warranty the gauge but based on this dialog I am sure that I would just have a new gauge that also fogs up. I also get just a little nervous with taking my bike in for anything......... (ie. new gauge, new scratch). I really appreiciate this website.

Have a great New Year

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »

oddfirejeep, do you find that HD dealers do not take care of your bike when you take it in. (ie. new gauge, new scratch). I do not have my bike yet, but if they tend to not care about scratches; I will just to the maintenance work myself.
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.