Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Rev Limiter Settings?  (Read 13537 times)

1 HD HEMI

• Love to soar like a SCREAMIN EAGLE!
Rev Limiter Settings?
« on: July 08, 2005, 01:41:43 AM »

Hey All,
   I'm trying to get some feedback on rev limiter settings. With the work I had done it seems to run out of R's fast especially in 1st and 2nd gear while still pulling. It is set at stock now which i think is 5400 RPM. Were should I chip it at? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Does this effect durability? Longevity? Warranty???Please DO TELL! [smiley=shocked2.gif] Third gear revved out at 85 MPH at what I think was 5400 RPM! [smiley=confused5.gif]
1 HD HEMI
B C Gerolomy Heads
Daytona Twin Tec throttle body & WEGO Kit
Flat top cast pistons
Woods TW8G Cams
Roller Rockers
Pro clutch
RC Cycles crankshaft girdle
Bassani true dual power curve exhaust

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Rev Limiter Settings?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 01:59:23 AM »

I have a Zippers ECM and it came set at 6250 I think. I really don't get up in the RPM'S that often. I am still running stock cams. I think they should have set you up a little higher. I would have to go back and look at your dyno sheet. If you run out of power there is no use running the RPM'S higher and make no more power. But if you have some power left they should have set it higher.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 02:03:05 AM »

BLING I just went back and looked. The dyno ran your bike to around 5700 RPM. I would go back to the tuner. It looked like it was running out of power but the tuner didn't run it far enough so we could see where the power drops off.
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »

The rev limiter is set at 5800 rpm, you cannot change this without the stage 1 download or the race tuner. 6250 is about the most you'll get out of the 103 safely

Rsantucc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 11:39:35 AM »

The rev limiter is set at 5800 rpm, you cannot change this without the stage 1 download or the race tuner. 6250 is about the most you'll get out of the 103 safely

Or by adding a Power Commander II USB, which is fully tunable to what ever rev limit you preffer
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 11:41:52 AM by Rsantucc »
2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry Screaming Eagle Electra Glide, Freedom Pipe Pkg, Commander III Mapped, Stage 3, CC Screamin Eagle Heads, Barnett Scorpion Clutch, Screamin Eagle 6 Speed Gear set, KB High Compression Pistons, Gear Drive Adrew Cams, High Flow Filter, 113 HP 116 TQ

01 FLSTF Custom Head Quarters 1550 High Compression kit, HQ CNC Heads with Titanium Springs, Gear Drive HQ38 Cams, Daytona Twin Tech Ignition, B

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 11:52:09 AM »

HD dude I went into the Harley Davidson shop in Austin Texas they were clueless about the stage 1 chip. I started at the parts counter and they didnt know what I was talking about. I went to the service department and they told me that it had something to do with the VIN number of the bike and told me mine had the latest and greatest. So then they dicked around with the bike trying to down load some custom maps. I heard them run it up on the dyno a couple of times and they coudnt get the downloads to change the REV limiter. The service manager told me you can only change it with the Race Tuner or with the power commander which as far as I know was going to be released in Marchtober. What ever that means. [smiley=confused5.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 02:53:02 PM »

I believe I am correct when I say you cannot adjust the rev limiter with a PC.  They say they are coming out with a system that will let you do that, but that was 3 months ago and I am still waiting.  There is some adjustment with a race tuner. The PC and the RT both have their good and bad points.
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »

HD dude I went into the Harley Davidson shop in Austin Texas they were clueless about the stage 1 chip. I started at the parts counter and they didnt know what I was talking about. I went to the service department and they told me that it had something to do with the VIN number of the bike and told me mine had the latest and greatest. So then they dicked around with the bike trying to down load some custom maps. I heard them run it up on the dyno a couple of times and they coudnt get the downloads to change the REV limiter. The service manager told me you can only change it with the Race Tuner or with the power commander which as far as I know was going to be released in Marchtober. What ever that means. [smiley=confused5.gif]

It's annoying that we know more about the maintenance and availability of most of the stuff for our bikes than those ostensibly professional in the topic should.  The stage I chip for the SEEG is HD part number 32926-03B .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 03:52:17 PM »

I believe I am correct when I say you cannot adjust the rev limiter with a PC.  They say they are coming out with a system that will let you do that, but that was 3 months ago and I am still waiting.  There is some adjustment with a race tuner. The PC and the RT both have their good and bad points.

It was announced in some trade press several months back that the PC III USB would soon be capable of adjusting the rev limit.  At least so far, however, it's never happened though.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 08:05:37 PM »

HD I understand what you are saying. I know that is why Zippers set them at 6250. If you have a 2004 or eariler you can set the rpms up. The 2005's need the new power commander (stealth) if not (all you HD techs know this) you can not do anything with the ECM and it will tell any HD tEch that plugs into it the THE WARRANTY ON THIS BIKE HAS BEEN VOIDED.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 08:06:55 PM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2005, 01:18:36 AM »

My bike is also hitting the limiter too early, and I have the RT plus other goodies.  I was told somewhere on this site that the RT is capable of varying the limiter.  Is the not correct? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2005, 01:53:07 AM »

My bike is also hitting the limiter too early, and I have the RT plus other goodies.  I was told somewhere on this site that the RT is capable of varying the limiter.  Is the not correct? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

That is correct, it is adjustable.

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 08:42:14 AM »

HD I understand what you are saying. I know that is why Zippers set them at 6250. If you have a 2004 or eariler you can set the rpms up. The 2005's need the new power commander (stealth) if not (all you HD techs know this) you can not do anything with the ECM and it will tell any HD tEch that plugs into it the THE WARRANTY ON THIS BIKE HAS BEEN VOIDED.

What are you talking about, a "stealth PC"?
Be Safe

OSMACAT
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 08:42:39 AM by osmacat »
2006 FLTRI waiting for a FLTRSEI?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2005, 09:11:57 AM »

It's annoying that we know more about the maintenance and availability of most of the stuff for our bikes than those ostensibly professional in the topic should.  The stage I chip for the SEEG is HD part number 32926-03B .

Yes it really is annoying  [smiley=confused5.gif] Thanks, I will call around some of the Harley shops Tuesday and try and locate the stage 1 chip.  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2005, 10:10:20 AM »

What are you talking about, a "stealth PC"?
Be Safe

OSMACAT

The 2005 ECM does not like add-ons like the PC or TFI modules, and will set codes if it detects one.  The "stealth" deal is a little bit of wizardry built into the newest versions of these devices so that the H-D ECM cannot detect them.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2005, 10:18:53 AM »

Yes it really is annoying  [smiley=confused5.gif] Thanks, I will call around some of the Harley shops Tuesday and try and locate the stage 1 chip.  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

There are two ways to get the calibration (Harley calls the one for the air cleaner and mufflers the "Stage 1 Race" calibration in the SE Pro catalog).  The first is to purchase the one-time-useage calibration cartridge and have the dealer load it to the ECM, and the other is to have the dealer hook the bike up to their computer and download the calibration directly.  
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 10:35:34 AM »

Okay GRC the dealer in Austin said I had the latest and greatest since I have a stock SE 2. Next both the parts and service people were clueless about the cartridge. When the service department tried to download a custom map into the bike it didnt work and failed to change the rev limiter setting.Which one do you have and if you have the cartridge where did you get it from?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:36:23 AM by MAVERICK »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 11:40:43 AM »

Okay GRC the dealer in Austin said I had the latest and greatest since I have a stock SE 2. Next both the parts and service people were clueless about the cartridge. When the service department tried to download a custom map into the bike it didnt work and failed to change the rev limiter setting.Which one do you have and if you have the cartridge where did you get it from?

Maverick, just responded to your PM with the chip part number and a place you can order it from.  As with many things at the parts counter or service center in a Harley shop, just because they don't know it doesn't mean it's not there  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 11:45:04 AM »

The 2005 ECM does not like add-ons like the PC or TFI modules, and will set codes if it detects one.  The "stealth" deal is a little bit of wizardry built into the newest versions of these devices so that the H-D ECM cannot detect them.  

How do you know if you have one of the "stealth Models"?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 11:46:44 AM »

I have noticed that sometimes my bike hits the rev limiter before 6k rpm especially in first gear. Then other times it pulls to 6200. I attribute it to the tachometer calibration accuracy. It is possible that the circuit is rate sensitive as well?
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 03:26:57 PM »

Maverick, just responded to your PM with the chip part number and a place you can order it from.  As with many things at the parts counter or service center in a Harley shop, just because they don't know it doesn't mean it's not there  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Thanks Twolanerider I went to the site and already bought the part. That was too easy. I am happy now!! [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 03:59:24 PM »

How do you know if you have one of the "stealth Models"?

CAT without the stealth models of the TFI and Powercommander your ECM will detect that someone is trying to make changes to the HD map. The race tuner can do it but that is how HD wanted it. They wanted everyone to but a RT from them and not a TFI or PC. The stealth models are out. The power commander will change the rev limit but I went a different route. I purchased a Zippers Thunder Max ECM. With this you remove the factory ECM completely and the Zippers ECM does so much more. If you have a lap top you can make changes your self. I would never change the map without a dyno but you can change your idle and rev limit.

Also I must warn you YOU DO NOT WANT TO REV OVER 6250. Your cams run out of power before that and it is unhealthy for your stock bottom end. I do not know exactally when the se 253 cams run out of power but I think it is around 6100 so going over that would do you no good as far as making power. These are just my thoughts and I am sure that some might disagree and that is fine. That is why we are all here.

Be Safe

THE DAWG    
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

osmacat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2005, 04:34:57 PM »

Hey DC, I already did the Stage 1 flash, so my rev limiter is at 6200 I suppose. I just installed the PC last week. WOuld it tbe the new "stealth model"? That is my question.
2005 SEEG Yellow
2004 FatBoy 95

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2005, 07:11:20 PM »

Hey DC, I already did the Stage 1 flash, so my rev limiter is at 6200 I suppose. I just installed the PC last week. WOuld it tbe the new "stealth model"? That is my question.

I realize this is only hearsay and anecdotal; but the folks at DynoJet told me that all the PC III USB with their part number 807-511 are transparent to our ECMs.  Those earlier releases of the unit that are not are supposed to be noticable by the fact that an error code will be there everytime the bike starts up.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2005, 08:52:11 PM »

CAT without the stealth models of the TFI and Powercommander your ECM will detect that someone is trying to make changes to the HD map. The race tuner can do it but that is how HD wanted it. They wanted everyone to but a RT from them and not a TFI or PC. The stealth models are out. The power commander will change the rev limit but I went a different route. I purchased a Zippers Thunder Max ECM. With this you remove the factory ECM completely and the Zippers ECM does so much more. If you have a lap top you can make changes your self. I would never change the map without a dyno but you can change your idle and rev limit.

Also I must warn you YOU DO NOT WANT TO REV OVER 6250. Your cams run out of power before that and it is unhealthy for your stock bottom end. I do not know exactally when the se 253 cams run out of power but I think it is around 6100 so going over that would do you no good as far as making power. These are just my thoughts and I am sure that some might disagree and that is fine. That is why we are all here.

Be Safe

THE DAWG    

DAWG, in my opinion you are right on what you said....an example is JC's dyno sheet...posted under dyno numbers...you can see the drop off. And anybody that tries to re=map their bike without a dyno is taking a big chance. It may seem to run ok but if it is set too lean it can cause problems. I know some people that have experimented in their garage with varying results...some ok, some not. A good Dyno tech is the way to go. I prefer the Race Tuner over the PC. I have heard some good reports on Zippers ECM. I would like to hear more from owners. Just my .02c.

1 HD HEMI

• Love to soar like a SCREAMIN EAGLE!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2005, 06:30:28 PM »

Hey All!
  Just got off the phone with H-D service they told me to bring the bike down anytime and for ONLY $200.00 they will download the stage I 6200 RPM card! [smiley=1syellow1.gif]I'll give it a try. I'm really runnin out of R's in 1st and 2nd FAST!!! [smiley=shocked2.gif]
 Thanks for all the good info! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
1 HD HEMI
B C Gerolomy Heads
Daytona Twin Tec throttle body & WEGO Kit
Flat top cast pistons
Woods TW8G Cams
Roller Rockers
Pro clutch
RC Cycles crankshaft girdle
Bassani true dual power curve exhaust

CVO_BAGR

• '00 FLTRSEI_'04 FLHTCSE_'09 FLTRSE3_CHRIS BOYETTE
    • NC

• CVO1: FLTRSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: FLTRSE3
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 01:54:14 AM »

I have the PC III USB w/o the rev limit upgrade. I was told I could come back and have it done when I was ready. Where can I get some info. on the Zipper's ECM ?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 06:15:35 AM »

I have the PC III USB w/o the rev limit upgrade. I was told I could come back and have it done when I was ready. Where can I get some info. on the Zipper's ECM ?

BAGGER go to ZIPPERSPERFORMANCE.COM or call 301-621-2311 and ask for Bill Lamb. You can tell him some DCFIREMAN told you about them. They are great people to deal with. I have known these guys for over 15 years. The Thundermax ECM is so good they were doing installs at both Daytona and Myrtle Beach they would do the map install for your bike put it on and then let you go for a ride. If you liked it you kept it if not they would remove it. Guess what nobody took them off after install. The ECM will take you to another level. You will really like it.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 06:59:05 AM »

I realize this is only hearsay and anecdotal; but the folks at DynoJet told me that all the PC III USB with their part number 807-511 are transparent to our ECMs.  Those earlier releases of the unit that are not are supposed to be noticable by the fact that an error code will be there everytime the bike starts up.

Very interesting Don

That would explain why hd-dude's and mine never see a trouble light when we start up.
Just glad I bought that Freedom package and got that right P/C.

Now, all I got to figure is how to get hd-dude to install some (nontrouble) lights!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, he's 2600 miles away. How do I work that?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 07:19:22 AM »

Very interesting Don

That would explain why hd-dude's and mine never see a trouble light when we start up.

Now, all I got to figure is how to get hd-dude to install some (nontrouble) lights!

[smiley=trailer.gif]
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 09:03:55 AM »

While your here in September for Street Vibes, I'm only about a 3.5 hour ride from Reno [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 10:07:31 AM »

Very interesting Don

He's going to be in Reno for Street Vibrations...........
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2005, 10:43:41 AM »

I have mine set for 6500 rpm and I don't ever hit it anymore (@6200 I did) and haven't blown anything up yet, I have 20,000 miles in just over a year!!! [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 10:44:27 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2005, 06:43:02 AM »

Mine's set at 6500 also as it is a convenient number to use when running on the dyno.  From a practical standpoint it's really worthless in that the HP and Torque numbers start to go away at a high velocity at 5800 and there's no need to hit the rev limiter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 20 queries.