Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Stereo breaking up  (Read 13927 times)

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
Stereo breaking up
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »

Hey guys, I was out riding my 04 SEEG last weekend and had a problem with my stereo breaking up. It sounds like a bad connection, it does it off and on sometimes worse that others at times it work work at all. It makes no difference if your using the radio, CD player or the factory MP3 player, the deck never loses power. I took it to the dealer for warranty repair. They claim it was a broken antenna wire and they could not find any connection issues. I got 2 miles from the dealer and it started acting up again. I have to take it back to the dealership for them to take another shot at fixing it. Has anyone else seen an issue like this thought maybe something they are overlooking. I hate being without my bike... :nixweiss:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: Stereo breaking up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »

If it's what I'm thinking the triad or heat sink has probably come loose like most of the other HK radios.

Had to send mine off to http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/ to have my HK radio fixed. Mine would not shut off, just lost volume as it heated up after 10 or so minutes... everything would work but you could hear no sound using the radio, CD or Ipod, turn it off for a few, back on and it would work for another few minutes.

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »

The 2004 uses the Radio Sound radio, not the H-K that came out in 2006.  

I just sold my 2004 FLHTCSE radio today.  I don't remember any issues like you have stated.  I had a ground wire break that attaches to the front of the neck, you can see it with the fairing off or maybe you can look at the neck with the side stand down, forks turned all of the way to the left, look at the top of the neck and see if a big black wire is still attached to a screw.  

Other than that, call radio sound.

Brad
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:50:57 PM by flhse »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »

Thanks for the info Brad

I actually still have my 07 HK radio in the box from Iron Cross. Got a HogTunes system instead. Have heard so much bad about HK radios it will stay in the box until I sell the trike.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »

Ask the aces at your dealership how the antenna causes the CD player to cut out.  I'd love to hear the response, since I'm always looking to learn new things.

Give the folks at Radio Sound a call and ask them, rather than listen to the "audio experts" at the dealership. 

http://www.radiosound.com/customer_service.php

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I am taking it back in asap. I think I will call Radio sound and get their input also. I purchased 3yrs of warranty with the bike which should cover repair or replacement. I kinda did not understand their logic but okay we will see what happens. I really needed the bike back since we had a ride planned for Sat and Sun and I have not got to put 200 miles on it yet. I have been all over this bike with a fine tooth comb, cleaning and polishing waiting for our first great day to ride. I have yet to find anything wrong with it. Hell I was really surprised to find no peeling chrome. I just turned the radio down and enjoyed the sweet sound of the 103.....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

Thanks for all the input. I am taking it back in asap. I think I will call Radio sound and get their input also. I purchased 3yrs of warranty with the bike which should cover repair or replacement. I kinda did not understand their logic but okay we will see what happens. I really needed the bike back since we had a ride planned for Sat and Sun and I have not got to put 200 miles on it yet. I have been all over this bike with a fine tooth comb, cleaning and polishing waiting for our first great day to ride. I have yet to find anything wrong with it. Hell I was really surprised to find no peeling chrome. I just turned the radio down and enjoyed the sweet sound of the 103.....
Sounds like it'll be your huckleberry.  ;D har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:53:33 PM »

Spyder, I am knowing what ya mean. I took one look at this bike and told myself I have to have that bike. I went through many sleepless nights and after about 2 weeks I just went and bought my baby.....

You buy your first Harley go straight to the top.......  :apple:

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

Returned my scooter back to the dealer Saturday. I explained to them the issues again. They called me back yesterday about 10am wanting more information on the problem so I explained myself again. I told him the breaking up is sporadic but once it starts it goes downhill from there, so I just shut it off. The dealer called me back about an hour later and contested they could find any connection issues or wire problems so they were going to install a brand stereo under the extended warranty contract.

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:11:41 PM »

Yeah, mine was doin the same thing a couple of years ago, turned out to be the starter relay, If I had'nt heard it from John @ radio sound, I would have thought it was a wind up, but thats what he said it was, and he turned out to be correct :bananarock: :bananarock: :bananarock:
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »

Well got my baby back from the dealer on Friday after they installed a new stereo. I made it about a mile and a half and the radio started breaking up again. I got home and checked the volume control switch while I was installing my chrome button kit. I could not find a problem, I returned to the dealer Sat morning and they replied they could not get it to malfunction like I stated. The service manager took it for a ride, on his return he rode it straight into the shop. I had to peek around the corner to see what was going on. There was 3 guys standing around the bike. They finally got it to act up as I had explained. They said they have checked every thing and not sure where to go from here. I would not leave it since it is going to be a beautiful week. So I guess they will be talking to Harley before I drop it back off.....

kbiforce

• Junior CVO Member
  • I'd rather be twisting the wick!!!!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 Black/Blue
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTK
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »

I also have a 2004 SEEG that I am having issues with. Speakers cut out and distort at low volume. Radio or CD playing. CD skips also. Won't do it sitting in garage. The cutting out seems to be RPM related. When it happens going down the road, if I pull in the clutch and let the engine go to idle, the problem seems to go away. Custardglide, tell me more about the starter relay problem you had. Cobaltblue, this sound close to what you have? Maybe it's just the blue/black ones that have problems. Ha!

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 12:20:13 PM »

Radio Sound (HD's vendor of radios pre-'06 model year) phone no.:  (502) 267-6768; ask for customer service; John.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

Radio Sound (HD's vendor of radios pre-'06 model year) phone no.:  (502) 267-6768; ask for customer service; John.
I had trouble with my Radio Sound on my 2000 SERG a few months ago,  it turned out to be a bad ground.  I had called John at Radio Sound and he walked me through finding the problem and helped me fix it right over the phone.  Give him a call,  it is some of the best service you will ever recieve. :2vrolijk_21:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

Yeah, what he said, John at Radio Sound is one TOP man, he walked me through my problem also which was sound cutting out under acceleration, he said "Make sure the battery clamp is'nt touching the relay, and if that does'nt cure it, your starter relay is going down" it did'nt cure it so the dealer fitted new starter relay and hey presto, NO more cuttin out, it's been good now for over 3 years, not saying this is your problem OR cure, but for the sake of a few bucks for a relay it's worth a try, I always carry a spare relay with me now (if you've owned a shovel, you'll know why, LOL) Let me know how you go on, Ady ;D
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.