Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Stereo breaking up  (Read 13920 times)

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Stereo breaking up
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »

Well. the dealer called me today and left a message for me to call him ASAP. I called him and the first thing out of his mouth is we have made a discovery and your not going to believe this chit.... I am thinking okay what did they miss. ::) He proceeded to tell me they had the bike up on the table and had it throttled up and they stereo was cutting out BAD. They unplugged the voltage regulator and the radio cleared up perfectly. The tech proceeded to install a new voltage regulator, when they fired it up and throttled it up the stereo again started breaking up badly. When they unpluged the VR again it stopped. He claims they plugged it back in and while the stereo was cutting out they disconnected the battery, at that point the radio cleared out again. The dealer tested the battery and found no problem, they went ahead and installed a NEW battery and everything worked perfectly on the table and on road test.

Now I troubleshoot equipment every day, day in and day out. I can not seem to grasp for the life of me what would cause this. I do not yet have a complete schematic on the bike but this does seem to baffle me.....

Anybodyt have any thought?????

custardglide

• Full CVO Member
  • AN AMERICAN IN AN ENGLISHMANS BODY

• CVO1: FLHTKSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 sold
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »

Battery, going down, starter relays going down, it seems that if you have a problem with the stereo something is going down, thanks for the heads up, it's just another thing to check if the stereo goes awry, beats shelling out for a new stereo unit ;D, GLAD you got it sorted Ady ;D ;D
IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT BEFORE YOU CAN HEAR IT WOTS THE POINT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

I find it almost impossible to believe that a battery would screw up the radio, but not the much more sophisticated electronic engine management systems.  Need one of the stereo guru's to 'splain that one. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:01 PM »

My question is "if the battery tested ok why did the sealership think you needed a new one " could it have been just a bad connection that was causing the problem  :nixweiss:

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 07:05:25 PM »

My question is "if the battery tested ok why did the sealership think you needed a new one " could it have been just a bad connection that was causing the problem  :nixweiss:

Marty

EXACTLY!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »

The only thing I can think of is if the plates inside had broke loose causing contact of the plates at a certain vpm frequency. THe battery was original and I didn't have to pay for it since this is all covered by the extended warranty. I have paid the deductable on the first go round. If this doesnt correct the problem it will be back again. They have a few more things to do that I requested so I should be able to pick it up Friday.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 09:04:06 AM »

I've got the same problem, radio/CD breaking up when the engine is running. If I pull the clutch in sound is clear.  I put a new battery in last fall. I have had this problem off/on since I've had the bike and the dealer was no help.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

They put a battery in mine and it did solve the problem for a while. When it starts acting up I take the battery connections loose and scrape and re tighten.This has been a very weird problem and I am a tech that knows schematics very well. Last time it happened I cleaned the main positive cable at the starter and it solved it.

Just baffling to say the least.... :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:15:20 AM »

They put a battery in mine and it did solve the problem for a while. When it starts acting up I take the battery connections loose and scrape and re tighten.This has been a very weird problem and I am a tech that knows schematics very well. Last time it happened I cleaned the main positive cable at the starter and it solved it.

Just baffling to say the least.... :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
May be a ground issue, I have seen this it past posts.  I've got new thicker battery cables to install. I'll change these out first and see if that corrects the issue.
Thanks and ride safe.
2015 FLTRUSE

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »

im in the same boat and i keep reading that the starter relay can jack the radio. im getting one at least its not to pricey :nixweiss:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »

My third replacement as of yesterday...So many potential issues that cause these events...

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »

im in the same boat and i keep reading that the starter relay can jack the radio. im getting one at least its not to pricey :nixweiss:

Would you have a part number?
2015 FLTRUSE

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »

Got my pumpkin March 2006 (2,500 miles) and my radio has always cut out at above half-volume while riding.  Parked, I can crank it all the way up. Took the radio out, gave it to my dealer for warranty repair (in June 2006). Another CVOHarley member gave me his as he was going with Sony. Well, his does the same thing, so it's not the radio.  Dealer was never able to duplicate the issue, and I didn't want them to keep messing with it.

I've been thinking it's a ground issue under the fairing for some time, but just haven't pulled it.  And now I see other things to check.  Could well be a power issue.  I've emailed John at Radio Sound when I was looking (story below) for my radio, maybe I'll call him.

Want a laugh?... the dealer LOST the radio I gave them for warranty return, Radio Sound has no record of it, and dealer doesn't intend to replace it.  Two years later they gave me an HK, saying it was mine!  I really hate to get a lawyer involved that would cost me more than the radio.  Last year they accidentally ordered a brand new one for me, and I saw dealer cost was $950+-.  I didn't manage to actually get my paws on the radio since the service mgr saw the invoice first and made it disappear.  Pretty funny, huh.  And after I went to the Regional manager to get my "Detonator" peeling wheels replaced, the dealer svc mgr now says "Hey, I got you new wheels... isn't that enough?"    :soapbox:  Oh well, life's too short.

:-jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 04:22:52 PM »

Mine did the breaking up thing last year. We eventually figured out that the antenna base was loose and that the antenna had gone bad. New antenna and tightened base-no more problem.

Regards
SHRADER
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »

May be a ground issue, I have seen this it past posts.  I've got new thicker battery cables to install. I'll change these out first and see if that corrects the issue.
Thanks and ride safe.

Between replacing battery cables, tightening and cleaning battery terminals, cleaning solenoid contacts Radio clipping issue is gone.
Ride safe!
2015 FLTRUSE
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 24 queries.