Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone using Oil?  (Read 1492 times)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
Anyone using Oil?
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »

Hey All,
    I have used Syn 3 since day one but at 5k put in Amsoil.  I recently returned from a 5k trip out west and now have over 10k miles.  I noticed that I used about .5 quart of oil out and another .5 quart comming back.  So I basically used a quart of oil on this 5,000 mile trip.  Now we ran hard, 80-85mph to and from our destinations and the weather was hot at times and cold up in the hi elevations.  My question ,  has anyone else experienced any oil loss or use with their 103s.  A few dealers told me this was normal with synthetic oils but I have my doubts.  
Thanks in advance
Frank in Ohio
PS......that 130 I was lookin for in 05 came in the form of a SE VROD!  Rather keep my Eagle Bagger!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Anyone using Oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 08:23:45 AM »

HD will tell you 1/2 quart every 2500 miles is normal??   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 08:45:18 AM »

Is the half quart low below the add oil mark or half under the full?  I ran my SEEG 1500 beofre I dumpted the oil the first time.  New, it showed full both on the stand cold and at full temp.  Within 200 miles it showed half between add and full and stayed there until 1500.  Serviced it and brought it back to full.  Within 500 miles it was back to half way again.  Brought it to full and within 200 miles back to half.  Scooter now has 4000 on it and has stayed exactly at the half mark.  I have no idea where the oil is going as there is no evidence of it blowing out the breather or no smoke on start up.  The head mechanic at my local Harley shop got his SEEG the day after I got mine.  Same thing.  His expert opinion is "beats  me".  I don't see that it's a problem since there is no change regardless of how hard I run it or the extreme heat down here.  I used Syn3 in my last two bikes and did not have the problem.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »

I have been using Amisoil in my 2002 Chevy truck (8.1) and 98 RKing, and they both use oil, the road king about a quart every 3-4 k miles, depending on how hard I ride.  
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:35 AM »

Is the half quart low below the add oil mark or half under the full?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:28:06 PM »

Hey again,
   Well the level was at the full mark on the stand , operating temp and checked after idleing for about 2 minutes as per the manual prior to my trip.  At the end of my trip the level dropped to the add a quart line when checked under the same procedure.  (5,000 miles) Now I also posted about a smell when starting when warm.  And no it aint my shorts I smell!  he he,  Anhow I only smell it for a couple of seconds and only on warm startups.  I thought it was the bel ray in the trans possibly overfilled but have been using Amsoil and still get the smell.  The trans was not overfilled either.  I do not have any smoke at start up or residue from either the motor breathers or the trans vent tube.  It smells like 90w gear lube or burning oil.  Not too concerned bout that but the drop in oil level does concern me.
Ride On!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.