Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for a battery  (Read 3500 times)

Richyunker

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE
Time for a battery
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:21:39 AM »

Ok its been since 2003. Battery is due, looking at options the options  Harley battery is $130. Alternates run like $100. Does any body have good or bad experiences with any of them?

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
Re: Time for a battery
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

I would say if you still have the original battery since 2003 (12 years old)
Replace it with the same exact one. That's a really good battery!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »

I would say if you still have the original battery since 2003 (12 years old)
Replace it with the same exact one. That's a really good battery!

I don't think they make the exact same one any more.  I've noticed a decided decrease in the life of the Harley AGM batteries over the years.  The first one I owned was still doing fine after six years when I sold that bike.  The next one lasted five, then the next one three, and the last one not even two.  I've noticed a similar trend with automotive batteries, btw.  It makes me wonder if the same bean counters that have been cheapening the chit out of the bikes haven't also been consulting with the battery manufacturer's. ;)

As for alternatives, you can find lower priced offerings manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing at various online stores like Battery Mart.  East Penn is one of the largest battery manufacturer's in the USA; they sell their batteries under the Deka brand as well as many store brand names.  If you don't mind spending as much or more than the H-D battery, you can also look at Yuasa (made in the USA).

Here's the current pricing at Battery Mart:

http://www.batterymart.com/c-harley-davidson-fxst-flst-1450cc-battery.html

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:18 PM »

Does anyone know if the Odyssey is as good as they claim?
Alan

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »

Go with what Jerry is telling you.
Bill

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

Does anyone know if the Odyssey is as good as they claim?

As long as you skip all the BS and misleading claims and compare the real industry standard specs, and don't pay the inflated "list" price, I'm not aware of any major negatives.  For many years they have been very big on advertising a bogus (totally made up by them) pulse cranking amps rating for instance.  There is no such standard.  Look at one of their 900 pulse cranking amp batteries for instance, and when you wade through all the BS and find the real CCA number (330 CCA), you'll find it to be less than the stock battery.  Same with the amp hour rating, even though that isn't that important.  As for all the other claims about "virgin" lead and other stuff you can't confirm, I consider that sort of thing to be typical sales puffery.  Prove it, or don't bother making the claims is my feeling on the matter.

I've noticed that many places, including Battery Mart, now sell those Odyssey batteries for discounts off the ridiculous list prices, but they still cost as much as or more than the H-D battery even after the discount. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 25 queries.