Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Had to walk away...  (Read 1938 times)

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
Had to walk away...
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:52:01 PM »

Just for something to do, stopped by a HD dealer some distance from my usual stomping grounds and they had a 2020 CVO Streetglide in the showroom.The offer they made me was more than fair, but I had traded away my BMW and 2017 CVO last fall, pretty much done with riding.  And then today it took all my will to walk out that door without a signed contract.  Money wasn't the issue, it was the realization that my riding years have come to a close. At 72, the reflexes aren't the same, senses have aged, and I ride scared.  It was this past summer when the realization hit that I was looking for excuses not to ride...to windy, to hot, to much trouble putting on the gear.  I yearned for the past where a skull cap and sunglasses were all I needed to head to Sturgis. After working with many traumatic brain injury survivors, now its a full face helmet, armored gloves, leather pants, and an airbag jacket before I leave the garage. And I have gotten lazy...to much work just to ride for an hour. So I walked away from a beautiful bike, which is still calling to me. Its a bitch to grow up.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:53:52 PM by spook120 »

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
Re: Had to walk away...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »

Growing old is inevitable.
Growing up is optional.

Only YOU know what is best for YOU.

I completely respect your decision. I wonder sometimes what I am doing on the freeway riding next to some dimwit watching TV on their phone...
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:45:30 PM »

Must be hard to have made that decision, Only you know if it is the correct one..

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 11:00:33 PM »

Just for something to do, stopped by a HD dealer some distance from my usual stomping grounds and they had a 2020 CVO Streetglide in the showroom.The offer they made me was more than fair, but I had traded away my BMW and 2017 CVO last fall, pretty much done with riding.  And then today it took all my will to walk out that door without a signed contract.  Money wasn't the issue, it was the realization that my riding years have come to a close. At 72, the reflexes aren't the same, senses have aged, and I ride scared.  It was this past summer when the realization hit that I was looking for excuses not to ride...to windy, to hot, to much trouble putting on the gear.  I yearned for the past where a skull cap and sunglasses were all I needed to head to Sturgis. After working with many traumatic brain injury survivors, now its a full face helmet, armored gloves, leather pants, and an airbag jacket before I leave the garage. And I have gotten lazy...to much work just to ride for an hour. So I walked away from a beautiful bike, which is still calling to me. Its a bitch to grow up.

Understood!
I am a little older but have been thinking about when I have to get off 2 wheels.
I have a contingency plan: I’ve built a 4 wheeled hot rod that will give me a little bit of the raw feeling that I get on the bike.
This year may be my last “ Street Vibrations “ but next  year I can switch to “Hot August Nights” instead!
That is until they take my keys away! LOL
Can’t wait till someone tries THAT!
 :drink:
HOGMIKE

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 01:06:40 AM »

So instead of giving up ALL riding, how about making adjustments.

If weight is an issue, consider a Dyna, or a Softail. Choose when to ride, early morning weekends usually have less traffic. Just go out for two hours instead of the whole day, that way you won’t be so fatigued on the way home. Ride in a small group of likeminded  riders, there is safety in numbers. Consider short weekend or overnight rides instead of the hard push to Sturgis.

Lastly and most importantly, sign up for rider instruction courses. Not to learn how to ride, but to sharpen your skills. Lack of confidence comes from eroded skills. By working on the fundamentals of posture, eye placement, head turns and good threshold combination braking your confidence will return.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:10:46 AM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 10:26:44 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.  One of the biggest issues around these parts are the constant threat of deer. Used to be early morning and dusk were times to be wary, but recently deer are a real presence all day long. Cant tell you how many close encounters I have had over the years or the number of fatalities from deer strikes in the motorcycle community. I find it hard to enjoy riding with 2 fingers feathering the brake lever. For now I am at peace with my decision. I have my jeeps, and other play things to keep me occupied. But as you are all aware, nothing compares to riding west, sun at your back, chasing that never ending horizon. I will miss that.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »

Completely understand where you are at.

Yesterday we said Good Bye to my Wife's CVO Road King for similar reasons. Sad Day.

Hoping that my time is still a number of years away, even if my bike is currently sitting white with dust because of some medical issues prohibiting me from riding. Even if I can only ride around the block if I heal up enough to do it, thats my plan.

I do like Mark's advice about taking some courses to increase proficiency, good advice for us all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 11:49:43 AM »

So instead of giving up ALL riding, how about making adjustments.

If weight is an issue, consider a Dyna, or a Softail. Choose when to ride, early morning weekends usually have less traffic. Just go out for two hours instead of the whole day, that way you won’t be so fatigued on the way home. Ride in a small group of likeminded  riders, there is safety in numbers. Consider short weekend or overnight rides instead of the hard push to Sturgis.

Lastly and most importantly, sign up for rider instruction courses. Not to learn how to ride, but to sharpen your skills. Lack of confidence comes from eroded skills. By working on the fundamentals of posture, eye placement, head turns and good threshold combination braking your confidence will return.

Just to second Mark's idea I've done that gradually without having made any particular conscious decision to have done so when I did.  Still love to ride my Road Glide; and my Road King.  And if I'm going any real distance or on a road trip/vacation trip it's the Road Glide and maybe the trailer behind it with everything involved in hauling that entire rig around.  But....

Three years ago I bought an old FXR.  It was a toy.  Knew it would never go farther away from home than a day trip.  Maybe a weekend overnight somewhere.  Of course (old habits...) dialed it in to me to make it comfortable to ride.  But then it became my most fun ride. If not my favorite for any circumstance certainly my first choice for just regular farting around. 

Sure, compared to a lot of little bikes the FXR isn't a "small" bike but compared to the Road Glide it's a toy.  I'm 20 years younger and stronger every time I get on the FXR.  There are, also, some cool old bikes out there that can be found for cheap if the goal is just some weekend farting around.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 12:24:02 PM »

Sounds like a fun little convertible would  be a great way to enjoy the sites, sounds and smells you're accustomed to on a bike. Hard to give up something youve done for so long but I understand and respect your decision.

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »

I have had 3 BMW GSA's. Much lighter, much more nimble bike. Weight of the bike is not an issue, I still can bench 325 and squat 350, so physically not an issue. The issue is all the other dangers present in any given riding environment.  From deer to teens on a cell, your odds of being injured and killed on a bike have increased exponentially. And for me it was a game of odds. Sooner or later no matter how aware or talented you may be as a rider, your number will be called. Interestingly after having a THR and the loss of functionality from a controlled surgery, it became apparent to me that I just don't heal as fast as I used to...cant imagine what the down time and rehab would be from a substantial crash. I will miss it, but for now my intellect says no, even if my emotions want me to write a check!  Thanks for the replies.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »

I don't see where age has anything to do with it - all mental.

Back in the late 70's at 22-23 years old, and after having ridden most of my life growing up on my father's bikes I had an awakening.

I was riding to work almost every day as long as there wasn't ice or snow. The last 7-10 mile stretch of RT 22 in NJ was a downright scary road. I started having visions of cars or trucks jumping over the divider heading for me. Keeping in mind this was a horrible, congested, accident laden road, cars going over the famous "Jersey Barrier" were common. Trucks losing their brakes coming down the intersecting mountain roads not that uncommon.

Just at our dealership we had at least a one a month serious or fatal MVA in our dealer lot (on a curve). As an example, conversion Vans were all the rage back then and our dealership was building their own. They would park the vans out on frontage to act as a buffer and when they were totaled they about double the money. There were times we lost 5-10 vans.

So, one day I woke up, said that's it - I'm done and drove my car top work and didn't ride for about 2 years (and after I left that dealership).

When it's time to park in your mind - it's time to park.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mark

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »

After age 30 we start to lose muscle mass, unless you start a workout program to counter the effects of aging.  5-8% muscle loss per decade adds up when your trying to manage a 800 lb plus bike.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 06:15:38 PM »

I don't see where age has anything to do with it - all mental.

Back in the late 70's at 22-23 years old, and after having ridden most of my life growing up on my father's bikes I had an awakening.

I was riding to work almost every day as long as there wasn't ice or snow. The last 7-10 mile stretch of RT 22 in NJ was a downright scary road. I started having visions of cars or trucks jumping over the divider heading for me. Keeping in mind this was a horrible, congested, accident laden road, cars going over the famous "Jersey Barrier" were common. Trucks losing their brakes coming down the intersecting mountain roads not that uncommon.

Just at our dealership we had at least a one a month serious or fatal MVA in our dealer lot (on a curve). As an example, conversion Vans were all the rage back then and our dealership was building their own. They would park the vans out on frontage to act as a buffer and when they were totaled they about double the money. There were times we lost 5-10 vans.

So, one day I woke up, said that's it - I'm done and drove my car top work and didn't ride for about 2 years (and after I left that dealership).

When it's time to park in your mind - it's time to park.
I know that area well. Lived in N Plainfield back in the late 80's. Those roads between I76 and US22 can be real dicey in the winter time.

sent using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:18:59 AM by OBB »

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 11:47:40 PM »

I just got a new one at that age :2vrolijk_21:

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »

not trying to be a wise guy or smart butt. just sounds to me like you need to move to better area to ride and enjoy life.    :2vrolijk_21:

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 09:52:59 AM »

whats wrong with dover

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »

are the constant threat of deer.

Where we live now it is deer and fox.
Some areas are obviously much worse than others. Our son is a LEO (motor also). During the rut he may be called to dispatch at least 1 deer a night. Going to work he has had two deer strikes, once on his motorcycle.

And closer to CVO home, we lost one of our great members to a deer about 10 years ago in NY. Jim, aka BAKRDS was a 2004 SEEG'er who was a pleasure to converse and ride with.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »

:nixweiss: yea I know , but ares  traffic is worst the I  thunk :-\

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 07:15:05 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 24 queries.