Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Reasons for choice of bikes  (Read 1407 times)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Reasons for choice of bikes
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »

I will relate my MC experience based on my having both type of bikes

First off , back a long time ago I rode a (NEW)1973 Honda 550 (first street bike) The reason I bought it was hanging with a group of folks that had Harley's (of the day) and I watched and helped them Fix, push and tow around instead of ride, well they would ride but not that often for the reason's listed.

I needed a bike for my commute that means it needed to start everytime and be ready to go when I was so that's what I based my first purchase on 25,000 miles latter I bought a (NEW) 1979 Honda goldwing, While my Harleys buddies were rebuilding there sportsers and getting ready for summer I continued to commute everyday and tour on the weekends (without some of them) I ran up 84,000 miles on that in three years, never used oil, never left me stranded.

I started watching HD in the mid 80's with the EVO and my buddies had them and they still made fun of my "RICE BURNER" so when they introduced the 88 motor and wild a few early motor issue's out of the way, I made to Jump to HD in 2001

I got of the bike when I got a company car and didn't return to Motorcycling until 1998 when I bought a 1998 Honda Valk, we put 3000 miles on that before a car making a left turn in front of us ended it's life and I turned it into a 1999 Goldwing we put 65,000 miles on that, When I bought a 2001 Ultra (95) Almost never let me down it was towed once (broken drive belt) Paid for by the dealer that had incorrectly reinstalled it after mounting a new retire. So from that time I've had two bikes in 2002 I bought a new GL1800 riding both of them they are similar they function as they should -Start,run,Stop and start again.

In the summer of 2006 I saw the FLHTCUSE and had to get one so with 35K on the 01 ultra we rode off and traded it. The next spring I sold my 02 GL with 50K and in July I purchased a 08 GL 1800.

That's why I have two different and yet Similar rides - We still commute on the bikes based on the current state of fuel as it was way back in 1973 when I got my first street bike. :)

I understand How Loyal the HD customer has been and I guess will always be, but in my case I just didn't have that much time to suffer for enjoyment.

Disclaimer: do not read this post as a SLAM OF HD or anyone who rides one, This is my personal view of my life's look at it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Reasons for choice of bikes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

I will relate my MC experience based on my having both type of bikes

First off , back a long time ago I rode a (NEW)1973 Honda 550 (first street bike) The reason I bought it was hanging with a group of folks that had Harley's (of the day) and I watched and helped them Fix, push and tow around instead of ride, well they would ride but not that often for the reason's listed.

I needed a bike for my commute that means it needed to start everytime and be ready to go when I was so that's what I based my first purchase on 25,000 miles latter I bought a (NEW) 1979 Honda goldwing, While my Harleys buddies were rebuilding there sportsers and getting ready for summer I continued to commute everyday and tour on the weekends (without some of them) I ran up 84,000 miles on that in three years, never used oil, never left me stranded.

I started watching HD in the mid 80's with the EVO and my buddies had them and they still made fun of my "RICE BURNER" so when they introduced the 88 motor and wild a few early motor issue's out of the way, I made to Jump to HD in 2001

I got of the bike when I got a company car and didn't return to Motorcycling until 1998 when I bought a 1998 Honda Valk, we put 3000 miles on that before a car making a left turn in front of us ended it's life and I turned it into a 1999 Goldwing we put 65,000 miles on that, When I bought a 2001 Ultra (95) Almost never let me down it was towed once (broken drive belt) Paid for by the dealer that had incorrectly reinstalled it after mounting a new retire. So from that time I've had two bikes in 2002 I bought a new GL1800 riding both of them they are similar they function as they should -Start,run,Stop and start again.

In the summer of 2006 I saw the FLHTCUSE and had to get one so with 35K on the 01 ultra we rode off and traded it. The next spring I sold my 02 GL with 50K and in July I purchased a 08 GL 1800.

That's why I have two different and yet Similar rides - We still commute on the bikes based on the current state of fuel as it was way back in 1973 when I got my first street bike. :)

I understand How Loyal the HD customer has been and I guess will always be, but in my case I just didn't have that much time to suffer for enjoyment.

Disclaimer: do not read this post as a SLAM OF HD or anyone who rides one, This is my personal view of my life's look at it.

Ah, ya know ya just like starting trouble! ::) ;D

Hi Wayne! :vrolijk_26: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »

and Wayne...I noticed you were handing out apologies. I'd like one too.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:15:11 PM »

Wayne

Awful long post just to say that you have earned the right to ride what you want to.
And I agree that you have, should and can.
Ride on Buddy!

:2vrolijk_21:

See you and Lynette in the valley!

:bananarock:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »

Wayne

Awful long post just to say that you have earned the right to ride what you want to.
Ride on Buddy!

Got to agree with Chip.  I used to say that I never cared what someone rode, how they rode or where they rode; only that they rode and enjoyed it.  That was always good enough.  Anymore I'm even mellower then that.  Don't even care anymore if someone else rides.  Only that they don't mind if I do.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

I like bikes period...Don't care what it is, just get breeze tween yer knees...

:orange:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:33:11 PM »

I'll ride just about anything but no scooters. Last weekend I test rode a can am spider . That is one scary ride but still fun. ::)
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »

what did you find scary about it?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:19 PM »

what did you find scary about it?
Have you ever ridden a quad? Well you know how when you turn the bars hard the quad wants to lift you off . Well Can Am put power steering on the Spider so when you change lanes vat 65 or 70 it will get your attention right now. Talk about pucker power! :o

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 10:38:56 PM »

Have you ever ridden a quad? Well you know how when you turn the bars hard the quad wants to lift you off . Well Can Am put power steering on the Spider so when you change lanes vat 65 or 70 it will get your attention right now. Talk about pucker power! :o

Try changing lanes on a scooter at 70 mph if you want scary!

:o

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »

I try very hard to be open to new ideas , But you have just crossed the thereshhold. No Thanks :drink:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:29:25 PM »

and Wayne...I noticed you were handing out apologies. I'd like one too.

No I'm got no reason to apologie to you, except for missing the BBQ, Lynette is back on the bike  :bananarock: And we should be able to travel either later this summer or fall.
I was posting comments along in a BB. thread and he thought or assumed that I was attacking him personal by misqutoe's of my comments so I handed one out, however unjustly ;D ;D

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:56 PM »

Wayne

Ride on Buddy!

We will post in that thread if it's possible for us to make it.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:14:04 PM »

No I'm got no reason to apologie to you, except for missing the BBQ, Lynette is back on the bike  :bananarock: And we should be able to travel either later this summer or fall.
I was posting comments along in a BB. thread and he thought or assumed that I was attacking him personal by misqutoe's of my comments so I handed one out, however unjustly ;D ;D

I'll apologize to you then. I've lost my woofa
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:18:33 PM »

Other than the thump when the back wheels of my truck run over them, it's not a big deal.

B B

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:55 PM »

Other than the thump when the back wheels of my truck run over them, it's not a big deal.

B B

Them?

It was probably Ken's woofa you run over!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.757 seconds with 24 queries.