Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Octane Question.....  (Read 4183 times)

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
Octane Question.....
« on: June 12, 2005, 09:55:51 AM »

Sorry guys this is a CAR kinda question....

I'm driving from Florida (Jacksonville) to Georgia (Atlanta) via I-75 today, in my car.

My car requires at least 93 octane. In Fl there's plenty of that...does Georgia have 93 octane and is it readily available along I-75..???

Thanks...

Phattey...

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Octane Question.....
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:28:32 PM »

Phattey, I can't believe ole Chip hasn't jumped all over you for this question.  Where do you thing Georgia - Atlanta is?  Third world?  Haaaaa haaaaa haaaa.  Of course they have that kind of gas.  Now if you were driving in Saskatchewan, Canada, you'd have to worry.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 03:42:01 PM »

mrs. We --- sorry to say - WE are all out of 93 oct - used it all to mix my 115 octane with  - so may wish to fill up before entering out peach state [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:42:24 AM »

Ouch!  I live in a third world country!!!  I can't find 93 here in Oregon except at the race fuels outlet on 99.  What kinda car are you driving?  Can you just throw some octane booster at it and be okay?  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:22:55 PM »

Wow

" WE are all out of 93 oct" per Shovelhead!

No 93 octane!

That's amazing!

Phattey, my friend you have a problem.
I know what kind of car you have and I'm sure it needs it.

So Shovel, what's a man to do

And Mrs. We, what are you saying?
Is there no 93 in Canada?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »

Wow

" WE are all out of 93 oct" per Shovelhead!

No 93 octane!

That's amazing!

Phattey, my friend you have a problem.
I know what kind of car you have and I'm sure it needs it.

So Shovel, what's a man to do

And Mrs. We, what are you saying?
Is there no 93 in Canada?

[smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Wow I had no idea that this was not common, but I will say in Saskatchewan a year ago we drove around for about a week and had a heck of a time finding other than 87 octane.  If you were on the Number 1 it was OK, but off on the back roads, no way.  More than once I had to put in whatever was available.  

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »

will that 'octane-booster' that they sell in WalMart, AutoZone, etc.  work?  I know when you travel to the heartland, you start losing the high octane choices that we have east of the Smokies.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 01:48:46 PM »

Wow I had no idea that this was not common, but I will say in Saskatchewan a year ago we drove around for about a week and had a heck of a time finding other than 87 octane.  If you were on the Number 1 it was OK, but off on the back roads, no way.  More than once I had to put in whatever was available.  

BOY Mrs. We

What a sheltered life I have led!

[smiley=bigok.gif]

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 01:59:38 PM »

i've never had a problem finding 93 in eastern canada ( QC, NB, PE, NS ) at least sticking to the major routes and more populos areas
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 02:42:01 PM »

You'll not find anything over 91 Octane out west here.  However, when I had a high compression stroker motor in my old Heritage and I was on the road and did not have readily access to race fuel, I'd just add a little of the "108 Octane Boost" that can be bought at Pep Boys, Kragens, etc.

Remember, octane is just an anti-knock formula and is not a horse power or torque boost, per se.  The higher the number, the more anti- knock formula.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 02:49:49 PM »

OK

Just had a PM  from Shovelhead. He was messing with me and Mrs. We

There is 93 in Georgia.

Phattey you hear that!

Phew, thought for a minute I was gonna have to write off that state from the list.

But JCZ
Only 91 out there?
No wonder the horsepower figures are lower there! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 02:54:01 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

ccr

• 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 03:01:21 PM »

Picture This.  A couple, alone on a less traveled road, going from Northern to Southern Saskatchewan.  Flying down the all but deserted road, each on two wheels, each staring in awe at the site before them.  A calm, quiet envelopes them, blue skies and white fluffy clouds floating above.  As far as you can see forward or in the rear view, not another sole can be seen. Because you know the landmarks of grain elevators, you know you can see 25 miles in a complete circle.  This is the most awe inspiring feeling. I had not been home in about 30 years to notice this, so even though I grew up with it, I had completely forgotten what it was like.  And the wind; the relentless wind would have you press very hard in one direction, and it would wake you up quick if you drove by a treed home site or a big truck. You would SLAM in the other direction from the loss of the wind.  

As for gas – once the tank is empty – you will put whatever you can in to run as far as you can.  Off the beaten path, gas stations are few and far between. Maybe if you have a GPS you may be able to judge better, but once the tank was pretty much empty, we’d take anything that could be called fuel. We added octane booster and replaced the gas as soon as possible.  I recall more than once, pulling into a parking lot with a very large barrel up on stilts.  The parking lot would be gravel; you know the real big rock kind of gravel that makes your bike really wobble.  And of course, since I so hate gravel and am scared of it, I would be driving too slowly up to this big barrel in the air. I would ask the attendant for the type of gas I would want, and my loving husband would shoot me that “You’re an Idiot” look.  There was gas in that barrel, and we would take whatever came out the hose. That is all there was.  It was a wonderful trip.  I imagine that those who have traveled big spaces like Texas, or the heartland of the US have experienced this “BIG” feeling.  We got to do this for a week a few years ago. It was a lot of fun.

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 03:43:51 PM »

almost every station in Ga has 93 octane - was just kidding that I used all the 93 to mix with my 115 octane - so there is no more left - do you know how many jugs I would need to use all the 93 in Ga ?? if your somewhere else and there is no 93 - the stuff in the auto parts is not that powerful of an additive but it will make a slight difference - ROCKET FUEL in the little packets works good and better than most for a octane boost - but watch and see what is "leaded" and "non-leaded" so ya don;t screw anything up.
speaking on filling stuff up - remember the ole TEXACO fuel stations that carrried bulk oil in those glass bottles that resembled milk bottles and sat out in front in little racks like milk or coke - had an ole rambler that drank oil and you could buy this stuff for .25 cents a bottle - its all that ole rambler would get. oh well - enough for showing age

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »

hey shovel.........that Rambler wasn't one of those like I had that the front seats would recline into a instant 'bed' was it?  Now that's one option I wish the SEEG's had.  Har!   [smiley=7.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 03:49:05 PM »

look in JP CYCLE catalog for ROCKET FUEL additive octane booster if you need it - each little packet covers 5 gallons of fuel to boost. If your ride can work with light leaded fuel - go to the local small airport and fill up.
HD - if ya ever come this way and cannot locate good fuel - ya know I have good stuff in jugs in my garage  [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] besides all the MGD  [smiley=drink.gif]
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.