Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back  (Read 12044 times)

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009

I'm very curious about this version of the Indian motorcycle. My buddy is in the market and he's very interested. Going to the first demo ride for Indian here in Worcester Mass. Indian will have the demo truck there Friday - Sunday. Appears to be a pretty big waiting list for demo rides. Was told this is the first demo and from Massachusetts, they are moving on to NY and the rest of the country.

I'll report back on my thoughts in comparison to my 2009 SERG - that has Traxxion and Ohlins on the rear.

BryantH

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PM »

Enjoy, engine looks to be a first class unit, let us know

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »

going to ride one the 24 th just for the fun of it demo ride at the Charlotte dealer

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »

I must say I've all ways have liked the look of the Indian bike but have never had the chance to ride one. I've been keeping up with the ride reports and there hasn't been much  :soapbox:toosay about them that I've seen.
I'll look out for your report on the Demo BryantH.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:23 AM »

Rode the Chieftan at the rally last week.  Plenty of power, smooth shifting, running and rode/handled much better than a 850 lb motorcycle should.  Was a bit of handlebar vibration at freeway speeds (70-80 range) and that large fairing makes a large hole in the air...felt a bit twitchy at speed.  The bike carries it's weight very low so easy to manuvour.  I was a bit awkward at first coming from the SESG with the weight/balance on the Chieftan.  Not bad, just different.  NO mechanical noises from the motor/transmission.  I was impressed with the entire bike's operation.  Wish I had ridden the Vintage or Chief as a comparison that same time.  I would venture a guess without that fairing, the other two ride like completely different even though they have the same frame/tranny/engine/controls.
Whether you like the Indian look or not, Polaris has done a great job with these bikes.
Have fun on the demo.... ;D

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »

Okay - I took an Indian Chieftain on a test ride today and will attempt to put my thoughts about it below. I want to restate, these are my thoughts and your mileage may be different upon your test ride - so no flaming me for my opinion.

The good:

1: The stock suspension (front and rear shocks) on the Indian Chieftain, and all the other Indians are far superior to the stock suspension on any Harley touring. I say far superior because I have the new frame with the 2009 and have upgraded my suspension front to Traxxion Dynamics AK20's and rear suspension to Ohlins 3-3. I also have a TrueTrack device for an added stability measure. The Indian suspension rode similar to my 2009 in terms of control, cornering, smoothness over road irregularities, reduced forward dive, no clunking going over pot holes, etc.. It was very compliant - notch for Indian.

2: The frame, from the seat of the pants, seemed more rigid than Harley's new frame. Although there is very little flex in the Harley frame after 2009, the Indian felt like an I-Beam in a new house construction. Very solid and devoid of any noise or rattle.

3: The tires were whisper quiet compared to my howling Dunlop 407's and 408's. I know Indian uses Dunlop Elites and they match well with the Indian. Yes, had several cupping tires replaced on my 2009 - they all howl to some degree.

4: The Indian ABS brakes appear to be superior to Harley's ABS. I clanked down on them and they stopped me quicker with less fuss from the ABS system. Not as much clunking and peddle pulsation. Did I mention there was minimal dive when using the brakes. Also, Indian deploys a linked braking system - not saying linked brakes are better than individual braking but Harley needs to get LinkedIn to what Indian is doing - sorry couldn't resist the dry humor.

5: With much surprise, at first blush, the Engine (thunder stroke 111) appears to be more refined than our 7 year old in production Harley 110. How the hell did they do this in their 2+ years of developing the engine and the entire motorcycle from the ground up. I kept asking myself how can this engine have this grunt, this non pinging sound when I crank on it. I mean I would let it lug and then WOT and it would just come to life and move me forward. I did this in almost all gears and it was the same damn thing - power but no pinging, ticking, marbles rattling around, etc... I actually got a little mad at this point as a company with over 110 years of continued motorcycle engine building that leads the industry in motorcycle sales has what appears to be a inferior motor. For most motorcycle enthusiast, the engine is the PRIMARY cog to any motorcycle, why does my Harley make so much engine noise and scares me from going WOT and this newcomer (thunder stroke 111), I feel like I can twist the throttle all day without worry. I'll stop here - you get the idea - Oh, no perceived heat and I sat on it for a while with the engine running - it has a cat and EPA compliant.

6: Extensive use of LED lighting. Almost everything is LED, except the main headlamp.

7: The power windscreen actually works and cuts back buffeting as advertised.

8: Extensive use of chrome throughout the motorcycle - as much as any CVO motorcycle. Mind you, this is their stock version. The chrome was very well done.

9: The seat is 100% leather - not leather inserts. The seat also has double stitching and was superior to my stock CVO Road Glide seat but is not better than my Corbin.

10: The front fairing on the Chieftain isn't as big as the pictures make it out to be - at least not to me. I watched other riders from my rear and it doesn't look like a rip-off from the Batwing either - positive for Indian but I have some other points to make about the fairing below.

11: Love the War bonnet on the front fender - again, lit by LED's and made of glass.

12: Motorcycle exhaust was better than I expected for a stock system, with a cat. The dang thing had some bark.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:27:17 PM by BryantH »

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

The Bad:

1: Although the fairing is a good attempt at originality, it had an unfinished appearance to me. If you look closely at the inner fairing when the bars are turned, you can see headlight wiring, connections, bits and pieces that should be protected and/or covered in some way. Also, while riding down the road, I got the since of cheapness looking at it (plastic like a dash in a no longer made Saturn Car - no offense to anyone who owns a Saturn). This was more apparent after the demo ride as I looked behind another riders Street Glide and then sat on my Road Glide. I guess what I'm trying to say is Harley's deployment of fairings - both Road Glide and Batwing has no equal - yet. Credit Indian for what they did with the Chieftain fairing, it is full of technology and a wealth of information but need more work in how it is viewed from the riders point of view, more so than what on-coming traffic can see.

2: Saddles bags on the Indian didn't feel as stout as my bags. No doubt, they are useful and have good storage but how they opened and closed didn't impress me. The bags do have remote locking - via a center switch - which is good.

3: Floorboards, handgrips, and passenger foot pegs are not up to the "Chromahaulic" standards of the rest of the motorcycle. Just simple rubber (which was grippy) but not as refined as everything else on the motorcycle.

4: The 5.5 gallon tank looked small. With the ground up development they did on this motorcycle, they could have easily used a 6.5+ gallon tank without loosing the flowing lines of the motorcycle. By the way, the motorcycles lines do flow.

5: The Indian Chieftain felt lighter and smaller than my Road Glide. The lighter feeling was surprising as the weight of the fairing is on the handlebar similar to the Batwing. I guess that 25 degree rake they spoke about is the reason but it also felt like a smaller motorcycle. On my Road Glide, I Glide down the road as if I'm a bulldozer to the wind - I feel the Road Glide is a Juggernaut. The Indian felt wimpy to me as if I was riding with less mass and less weight. I hope this makes sense.....

6: Hated the bars - felt like drag bars, similar to the original bars that came on my 2009 CVO Road Glide. Had those changed quick and would do the same thing if I were to get a Chieftain.

7: Not use to using my left hand to control both left and right blinkers. Honda riders will feel right at home but Harley riders will be fumbling around for weeks before they get the hang of it.

8: Back to the Windshield - optically, I felt the windshield bends what is being viewed through it (the road, signs, street lines etc..). My Road Glide has an aftermarket windshield that is almost optically perfect. Also, the Chieftain windshield reflects its gauge instrumentation on to it, well at least it did on my test drive. I thought that was a little distracting and would think it would be worse at night.

Everything else is minor and not worth mentioning. Did I enjoy the Chieftain - hell yes. It is a great motorcycle and my buddy is 99% sure he's getting one. Would I buy one if I were in the market - that's a tough one to answer as my Road Glide fits me like a glove and, even with it's challenges via the engine, I still feel like I can ride it forever - by the way, just returned from Tennessee / NC Tale of the Dragon, Smokey mountains, Gatlinburg, etc...

I'm very impressed with Indian and the Chieftain in general. I think this rendition of the Indian motorcycle has outdone itself in many respects; reduced cost of entry, better engine, better frame, better suspension and many more features that a ground up motorcycle should be proud of.

Hope this quick review is helpful to someone on this forum - Lastly and most important, tell someone you love that you love them. Wishing you much success in all of your personal, spiritual and professional endeavors.

BryantH

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:35:45 PM by BryantH »

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »

Excellent review Bryant! Thanks for taking the time to enlighten us on this new American cycle. I like the look of the Vintage and the Chieftain but would want to wait and see what Polaris plans to do to shore up its dealer network before I rushed out to buy one!

Soot

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »

Been a long time since I logged in here, but knew this would be the place to find a great review of the new Indians. Awesome write-up! I saw them up close at Sturgis and fell in love, but didn't have time to take a test ride. I love the look of the Vintage, but would probably end up with a Chieftain. It is great to see Indian back and to finally see a Polaris bike that I like the looks of. The boss even talked about trading in our CVO for one. What was a hoot was my 5yo daughter saw a Heritage the other day and said, "Hey, that looks like an Indian"  :)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »

Great report.     :2vrolijk_21:   Thanks!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »

Really nice report, thanks.
The best you've had is the best you know.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »

Can't wait to see one..
Bill

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:40 AM »

Granted it was on a Dyno, but I watched an engineer at Sturgis take one up to 120mph and then put his hand on a cylinder. Definitely has better heat management than our 110".

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

That was a great report :2vrolijk_21: Like I said before I've allways have liked the Indian,..but HD has been my passion to ride. That's not to say I wouldn't like to have an Indian.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:10:49 PM by longlast »

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »

That is a great review. Thanks.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.