Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back  (Read 12044 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: I'm test riding the Indian Chieftain on Friday - will report back
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »

Very nice review, particularly from the owner of a RG with excellent suspension under it.  I expected a few "rough edges" here and there, as you reported about the inner fairing, grips, shift pegs, etc.  The main thing I'm glad to hear is that the engine, frame, tranny, and suspension work well together.  Having owned another large V with a aluminum frame, I know what you mean about the feel compared to a steel frame...more like being on a rail.

It will be interesting to read some reports from those who buy one and install the Stage 1 muffler/end cap/ECM Calibration.

Since there is a dealer in Birmingham, I will be taking a look at these bikes in the near future.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

I'm calling first dibs!

;D

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »

Bryant,
Great review. Done the way reviews should be done.  :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks for the insight.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »

Wow !! Nice report I will try and ride one soon.
DND

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »

I'm calling first dibs!

;D

SBB

Hey now....  That's hardly fair!   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

I just heard about the new Indians, and checked them out online, and online reviews (including Jay Leno's on Youtube- Leno's Garage).

I tell you, if I were in the market for a new tourer, the Chieftain would be tops on my list- haven't seen one in person, but the pics sure look nice but more importantly it sounds like the ride and reliability is there.

Only hesitation would be dealer network, availability of aftermarket parts, and brand longevity, given the brands recent history. I'm willing to bet eventually Polaris will put them in their dealers instead of just having stand alone Indian dealers, which are few and far between.

Nice job Polaris.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

The Indian fleet was in Wisconsin too this past weekend. We drove up to Madison on Saturday to test ride them, and boy was it a blast. The dealer that had the demo fleet there has been selling motorcycles for a very long time, and they set up a very nice 20 minute loop, which covered most driving conditions.
 While waiting for our turn, we spent time in the Indian/Victory showroom and they have a wall of pictures of who already purchased them, of which I was totally surprised at how many this dealer sold since they came out. The sales person was very polite, knew EVERYTING about the bike and the accessories, etc, even knew what was in the future pipeline for additions to the line.  After reading all that's been said, I must agree, "How did they do this in 2 years"!!!!

Back to the ride. I rode both the Chieftain and Vintage and boy was I impressed with both. The Chieftan had the 2-1/2" shorter wheelbase, making the handling a tad better, but both handled extremely well. I had the Chief up past 100 (Let let us, but if we got a ticket we were on our own)
and I thought it was very stable.There may be short comings to some, but not enough for anyone riding that day not to be totally impressed!
  Would I buy one.....working on the better half as I type! The waiting list is 60/75 days in Wisconsin, and they had 10 on the floor which were sold. Oh, just a note for those who may be interested, you can also order "custom colors" if the standard colors are not enough!!!! They had a Pearl White one on the floor, talk about stunning!

Let's   
The "TAZMUN"

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

Ok, have about 1400 miles on my Chieftain and love it. Fit and finish is very good and has lots of chrome that would rival a CVO.

The paint isn't quite up to HD standards, the clear being a little soft. This sounds like a common thing with Victory as well. I'm sure it will harden after more time in the sun and I know they just opened a new paint facility for the Indian and Victory bikes, so it should get better. Just put a few good coats of wax on it and it's been fine.

The engine is a beast with a lot of torque down low where I generally ride. The power is deceiving because it is not a high revving engine and it is pretty smooth. Not Goldwing smooth. You still know you're riding a big V-twin. It doesn't spin up very quickly due to it having such a long stroke, but it pulls in any gear. It is very hard to lug this engine. The biggest thing for me was the need to get used to the power band and had to change all my shift points. You really don't need to downshift much. You can easily be in 6th gear and down around 45mph and just roll on the throttle and you're gone. I haven't, but know a couple guys that have had them running up to about 115mph and they claim to still have some more in them.

It sounds fantastic, reminding me more of an Evo than anything close to a TC, but it has a beat of it's own. Idle is very low, like an old eve, down around 750. It has very little top end noise, but the transmission sounds different than an HD set up because it is a single unit rather than having a primary. Not a bad sound, just different. Mine is still stock and looking forward to doing a stage 1 once pipes are out. So far Bassani, V&H, D&D, Sampson, Dirty Bird and Loydz all have pipes due to be released soon in addition to the Indian stage 1 pipes.

Speaking of transmission, this is probably the worst thing in my mind. Because it is a single unit, the bike needs to warm up before hitting the road, particularly if it is cold outside or you will have trouble shifting into 2nd. It clears up quickly, but it's there unless you let it warm up. What we found out is that it doesn't take long to warm up and it helps to pull in the clutch 4-5 times while it's running to get the oil flowing between the clutch plates. What I did was just change my routine - start the bike, then put on helmet and gloves and the bike was good to go even in temps down in the 20's.

The fairing takes some getting used to, but performs well. I think the Roadglide folks would appreciate how stable it is compared to their fixed fairings. No buffeting regardless of the position of the windshield. I generally ride with it all the way down (it adjusts about 4" total with buttons on the left)

Controls are easy to use, but take some getting used to and most of the controls are on the left. They are a little tough with winter gloves, but work well.

The bike definitely handles very well. The suspension is good and eats up the bumps and the aluminum frame is very stiff so it handles extremely well with much higher ground clearance than an Ultra. That's good so you don't chew up the fringes on the floorboards if you have them.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased and surprised at how few issues there have been for a brand new bike from a brand new company. There are minor bugs here and there but no show stoppers or anything that will leave you stranded along the side of the road and the bugs seem to be bike dependent rather than something across all the bikes.

ultrarider123

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »

Labrat, that's what I call a good review.  Thanks for that and keep it up as you rack up the miles.  Will be interesting to see the 5K, 10K and beyond portion of your review.

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 08:34:54 AM »

Thanks. I've actually run across several other CVO owners on the Indian forums that have either added an Indian to their stable or replaced their ride with one. Indian's success will push Harley to up their game and we will all win  :banana rock:

Here's a picture of my new baby.

ultrarider123

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:56 AM »

That's a beauty and, of the current three colors offered, the blue is the color I would choose...although the red ones I've seen look purdy good, too.   :2vrolijk_21:

I got to spend quite a bit of time with some pre-production models at Sturgis last year.  I rode a blue Chieftain just like yours on a demo ride and was very impressed for the 25 miles or so I had with it.  There seemed to be a bit of faring vibration from about 60 to 70 MPH on the model I rode.  It seemed to smooth out a bit at 75 plus.  I understand these were pre-production models in August so I'm assuming this has been addressed on the assembly line.  Would like to know that.
Got another question for you...while I enjoyed the sound and performance of the stock stereo of the Chieftain, I didn't get a chance to listen with the addition of the rear speakers.  I notice you have that....how's it sound?
Again, great looking ride...congrats...and I, like most of the rest of us, are waiting to see how the new Indians age so keep us updated.

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 09:15:52 AM »

Thanks

The front speakers sounded pretty good and my guess for most would be fine. But I was used to being surrounded by sound, so I pulled the trigger on the rear speakers when I ordered my bike. Glad I did, they sound awesome. The stock system has a 100 watt amp for the front speakers and the rear system comes with a second 100 watt amp that fits under the seat to drive the rear speakers. I find the overall sound much better than my Ultra and the system has no trouble crankin' the tunes while on the highway.

I know a couple guys that have upgraded their front speakers with a set of Polk Audio 5 1/4" 4 ohm marine speakers for about $60. I haven't noticed a need, but those guys don't have the rear speakers. It's good to know that standard 5 1/4" speakers fit without issue and the stock amps drive them pretty well.

Others talked about the fairing vibration at that speed. It might have been due to a couple things. There have been a few complaints about the buzzing and it was coming from the speaker grills or the phone compartment door. They fixed it with a little weather stripping.

These are hard mounted counterbalanced engines, so while they are very smooth at idle, there is a vibration around 70. Not horrible and goes away either by slowing down :( or speeding up :)

The pre-production bikes had some issues. One of the biggest complaint was throttle lag. Part of that came from folks not used to throttle by wire and there were some bikes that were just "off". Those same folks have not complained about it in production bikes.

There are a few guys that are approaching 7500/10,000 miles and so far so good.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »

I rode one at the intro at Sturgis last summer.  The engine is amazing in smoothness and power.  I did not like the lack on engine braking when I let of the gas.  It did not slow down like most 4stroke I am used to.  When I was still riding dirt bikes I always had the 4strokes just for that reason.  I like it when you let off the gas the motor gives a natural braking.   Aside from that it is truly amazing unit.  I did not feel the paint is anywhere near my SESG.  I spent a couple hours talking to one of their engineers over dinner one night.  He just happened to be setting at a picnic table by his self and we started to talk.  At first I did not know he worked for Indian but seemed quite interested in what I like and did not like in a bike.  They are truly listening to the riders, and seemed to really care about making a product worthy of the name and heritage.   We had a great time at dinner and a few beers.  I did the test ride the first morning a we met later for a beer to listen to what my like and dislikes were.   I generally was very impressed with the bike overall I just have become so used to using my engine as a brake that it was not for.  But I have to tell you it is one fine bike and the engine feels much more bulletproof than my twin cam.  The Indian is not as visceral as my Harley. It is almost to refined for my taste.   But that is why I don't have the limited.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »

I gave Indian some serious consideration, but the lack of lowers and a trunk were the only two things it took to stop me. The Chieftain I thought was supposed to be their version of an all-out touring bike so where are the trunk and lowers? I love the lowers for that chilly weather and occasional, unplanned rain. Some of us also love our junk in the trunk which you'll now have to leave behind ... if you can't stuff it all in both saddlebags. I really think they should have went the full mile with the Chieftain before they classified it as a touring bike at the top of their model line. Maybe next year they will have everything when they bring out the Master Chieftain?   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »

I gave Indian some serious consideration, but the lack of lowers and a trunk were the only two things it took to stop me. The Chieftain I thought was supposed to be their version of an all-out touring bike so where are the trunk and lowers? I love the lowers for that chilly weather and occasional, unplanned rain. Some of us also love our junk in the trunk which you'll now have to leave behind ... if you can't stuff it all in both saddlebags. I really think they should have went the full mile with the Chieftain before they classified it as a touring bike at the top of their model line. Maybe next year they will have everything when they bring out the Master Chieftain?   

Keep watching for a full blown tourer. My guess it's not far off. The chieftain was to compete with the street glide family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.