Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 6358 times)

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
Heated Grips
« on: February 02, 2015, 06:43:12 AM »

I'd like to get heated grips for my CVO RK and not sure if I should go for Heat Demon or a set of Slipstream 56100027.

Does anyone have installation instructions or some hints for me? especially with wiring thru stock handlebar? Also not sure if both will fit...

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:51:22 AM by GKroadking »
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »

I installed the Demons on my my Road King.  I went this way because I had the HD before and had them on high all the time.  I am hoping that the Demons will be a little warmer.

First of all I would not attempt this unless you have the service manual.  The instructions and information in this manual is very detailed and will help insure proper disassembly and assembly.

I took the handle bars off the bike and ended up pulling all the wires and re-pulling the them.

I tapped into the power on the input side of the right hand aux switch.
I also installed the Demons controller on the throttle side.  This is because I am installing my GPS on the left side.

Before you start...be sure that you pull the main fuse on the bike or the security system could be a problem.

The Heat Demons is not that difficult to install...as long as you take your time, understand and follow the instructions.

Good luck!

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »

I have installed a few sets. One thing I noticed was the more chrome on the grip, the bigger the PIA.  Don't know why. Lasst set went on a 2013 Ultra, the set required making my own connections, they provide the connectors, but they are so small, wires so small, and length too short...PIA
Ended up splicing and soldering the control side.. (And I have electronics training) Not an easy job fishing wires too.
Will

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »

I have installed a few sets. One thing I noticed was the more chrome on the grip, the bigger the PIA.  Don't know why. Lasst set went on a 2013 Ultra, the set required making my own connections, they provide the connectors, but they are so small, wires so small, and length too short...PIA
Ended up splicing and soldering the control side.. (And I have electronics training) Not an easy job fishing wires too.

Are you referring to Heat Demons or Harley's?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »

One thing to keep in mind is that with the Heat Demons, the element goes inside the bars allowing you to use whatever grips you like as the element heats the bars and not just the grips.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »

I used the Harley heated grips that match everything else including the OE grips on my 13 CVO King.  From 13 on the Harley heated grips are much better.  Mine have never been over 2, and usually only on one.  The wires are run in the bars with all the rest including the wiring for the 660 GPS on the bars.  These are though Yaffee Monkey bars so I am sure it will go through stock.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »

I used mine sat for first time (15 RGCVO) and started on 2 and then turned down pretty quik to 1. Worked great in my opinion.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 01:55:58 AM »

One thing to keep in mind is that with the Heat Demons, the element goes inside the bars allowing you to use whatever grips you like as the element heats the bars and not just the grips.

Exactly right, and IMO, that's the problem.  I've had them on my Springer for four years.  It takes a long time for heat to pass through the bars, then through the grips (and gloves too) and start heating your hands.  In addition, some of the heat is being siphoned away from the grips, so it's not available to warm the hands.

In the past, the Harley heated grips were unreliable, but they have gotten much better.  OTOH, as OBB also said, you can use any grip, which let me have heated grips on the Springer that matched the brake, shifter, and floorboards.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:44 AM »

Thanks to all of you for reply.

One thing still needs attention I guess is right side with TBW (Grip Sensor)....is it easy to use the Heat Demon for that side?
I read elsewhere that the CVO has cables/wires already for the Harley Heated Grips at the Cable Harness included? That will recommend the Slipstream Heated Grips for me as they are the controls comes with the bike?

Gerhard
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
131cui

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »

Exactly right, and IMO, that's the problem.  I've had them on my Springer for four years.  It takes a long time for heat to pass through the bars, then through the grips (and gloves too) and start heating your hands.  In addition, some of the heat is being siphoned away from the grips, so it's not available to warm the hands.

In the past, the Harley heated grips were unreliable, but they have gotten much better.  OTOH, as OBB also said, you can use any grip, which let me have heated grips on the Springer that matched the brake, shifter, and floorboards.

Regardless if the heat element is in the bar or in the grip. the bar will act as a heat sink for both.  One thing that I have noticed in the Heat Demon is that the right grip does take longer to heat up.  This is caused by the additional mass of the TBW unit.

Heat Demon advertise that the elements will get to 170F.....but I have only seen 105F but this is running of battery only and my garage was 35F

For me the jury is still out if I would recommend these over Harley's grip.

FWIW...the right side of the bar has a black and white wire that runs through the bar and connecting to the TBW sending unit.  The Harley grip for the throttle side has a wire connector to connect to the end of the TBW unit.  No need to pull wires on the throttle side.  The Harley grip are much easier to install.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »

I have only installed Harley Brand. Some easy, some not. If the instructions have you making the connections, they are small and hard to do.

All the sets I installed work fine, but most ride at 4 or below. They get too hot above that.
Will

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 09:17:54 AM »

Thanks @Cat Eye
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
131cui

treffner

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »

I had a local shop install the 56100027 slipstreams installed on my '13 Road King CVO with the wiring inside the handlebars. The local dealer wouldn't install inside, so I found a shop that would do it. There's not any room for more wires, but it's s nice look. I normally only run on the heat off or on 1 (1 is plenty hot, and I never see the need for anything above 3).

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 03:27:08 PM »

Today I let the heat demons run on high for 15 min in the garage.  The ambient temp was 35F.  After 15 min the left grip was 100F and the right was 85.

I pulled the grip of the right side and measured the handle bar temp....150F....that is way to hot for me.  The heating elements are taped on the TBW sensor so the heat is being conducted directly to this sensor and being 3/4 wrapped in the heat element, I am sure that the sensor was even hotter. 

I know that a lot of people have these installed on TBW motorcycles and I am not aware of any issues....but I have decided to take them off and install some Harley grips.  I just don't like the idea of the baking the TBW sensor like that.

One thing is for sure...if I had a cable throttle the Heat Demon would be the way to go.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »

I had a local shop install the 56100027 slipstreams installed on my '13 Road King CVO with the wiring inside the handlebars. The local dealer wouldn't install inside, so I found a shop that would do it. There's not any room for more wires, but it's s nice look. I normally only run on the heat off or on 1 (1 is plenty hot, and I never see the need for anything above 3).

Those are the grips I ordered...how did they transition the wire in to handlebars(left side)?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:35:21 PM by Cat Eye »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.