Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 6357 times)

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »

I have the heat demons and riding in sub 40 degree weather not enough heat gets transferred to the slipstream grips. I wish I would have gotten the Harley heated grips instead.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 01:00:58 AM »

Regardless if the heat element is in the bar or in the grip. the bar will act as a heat sink for both.  One thing that I have noticed in the Heat Demon is that the right grip does take longer to heat up.  This is caused by the additional mass of the TBW unit.

We're starting to get down into the weeds now, but for Harley grips, the amount of heat transferred to the bars depends on where the heating elements are in the grip.  If the element is up in the rubber portion, much less heat is going down into the bars than with Heat Demons.

FWIW, I have a cable throttle on my '07, and I would much rather have Harley heated grips.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »

Last year I bought the new style Heat Demons that require you to wrap the right side element on the TBW twist grip sensor. In my opinion this is a poorly engineered design. For one, on my particular bars, the TBW sensor was a snug fit and when the Heat Demon element was taped and wrapped on the sensor it wouldn't fit into the handlebar. The element is also very flimsy and if you try to get it in without ample clearance it will tear. I ended up grinding the inside of the handlebar after getting the damaged element replaced. Then, you have to take the o-ring off the end of the TBW sensor because the element overlaps it and no way will it go in with the o-ring on. The wires are also very thin, like 22 ga. or smaller. They can easily be damaged pulling them though.

I tested the Heat Demons before installing in the handlebars. The heating element gets super hot and that can't be good for the TBW twist grip sensor. It has to heat the handlebar from the inside out, verses the Harley heated grip the heating element is on the grip itself. I found that it didn't put out the amount of heat I desired when it was all said and done. The newest version of Harley heated grips are much improved over a few years ago and that's what I went to. It was a tough learning experience pulling all the wires several times to get what I wanted but in the end I'm happy I took the Heat Demons off and went with the HD grips.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »

Last year I bought the new style Heat Demons that require you to wrap the right side element on the TBW twist grip sensor. In my opinion this is a poorly engineered design. For one, on my particular bars, the TBW sensor was a snug fit and when the Heat Demon element was taped and wrapped on the sensor it wouldn't fit into the handlebar. The element is also very flimsy and if you try to get it in without ample clearance it will tear. I ended up grinding the inside of the handlebar after getting the damaged element replaced. Then, you have to take the o-ring off the end of the TBW sensor because the element overlaps it and no way will it go in with the o-ring on. The wires are also very thin, like 22 ga. or smaller. They can easily be damaged pulling them though.

I tested the Heat Demons before installing in the handlebars. The heating element gets super hot and that can't be good for the TBW twist grip sensor. It has to heat the handlebar from the inside out, verses the Harley heated grip the heating element is on the grip itself. I found that it didn't put out the amount of heat I desired when it was all said and done. The newest version of Harley heated grips are much improved over a few years ago and that's what I went to. It was a tough learning experience pulling all the wires several times to get what I wanted but in the end I'm happy I took the Heat Demons off and went with the HD grips.

I totally agree...and want to say I did the exact same exercise you did.  I specially didn't like how hot the Heat Demons got the TBW sensor was getting.

My Harley grips on high will max out at 150F and heat up much faster than the Heat Demons.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.